Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, phiggins said:

Very short lived. Neither Mahmood or Parkinson playing today. No idea what the reasons are, but it's pretty poor imo for Lancs to not pick a spinner, and go with 5 seamers instead.

Based on how the wicket has performed in the first session, it's hard to see spinners getting a bowl anyway.

21 minutes ago, JonM said:

Based on how the wicket has performed in the first session, it's hard to see spinners getting a bowl anyway.

That might be the case, but I always feel that once you've got to a point where you've used 4 seamers and need a 5th option, a decent spinner would be a better bet than a 5th seamer. 

2 hours ago, phiggins said:

That might be the case, but I always feel that once you've got to a point where you've used 4 seamers and need a 5th option, a decent spinner would be a better bet than a 5th seamer. 

And sure enough, Luke Wells into his 12th over... 

Ben Stokes hit 34 off a single over and is currently 146* off 81.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Good to go back into county cricket and get a few throw downs to get your eye back in 

On 06/05/2022 at 13:01, gingerjon said:

The bowler he smashed about is a young, promising spinner. Stokes contacted him afterwards to see if he was Ok and not worry about it. Might seem patronising but let's not forget what happened to Stokes himself in the T20 final, and Broad being hit for 36 in a one day game. They did OK afterwards.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

It's been a bit grim for bowlers this season. I looked up the County averages to see where Shan Masood of Derbyshire was. 700+ runs and he's only 4th. Just been overtaken by Pujara in terms of runs and average. 

Kent have conceded 500+ runs in the first innings of every game so far. Currently Surrey are 440-5 so probably another one as well.

image.png.2df27bc3a3d967acb78789773b10b76b.png

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

All the teams in Division 1 scored more than 500 in their first innings.

Shan Masood has another hundred.

Surrey scored 600 against Kent with no batter getting a century.

I love cricket stats, me.

Charlotte Edwards Cup starts tomorrow.

Given how the Roses match has (somewhat predictably to an extent) gone, I am now all in for the Northern Diamonds once more.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

36 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Sad news that Saqib Mahmood who I rate very highly is out for the season 

Properly gutting.

And Fisher too - for some reason I thought that had already been mentioned on here.

Time to sellotape up Anderson and Broad and hope for the best.

16 hours ago, DavidM said:

I see the England selection panel will be Key , McCullum , Stokes … and the great survivor James Taylor 

And it would appear that their first selection involves both Crawley and Pope in the top 3. 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Come on , it’s the start of a new era 

The white ball head coach announcement is interesting.

This ... I mean ... ho hum ... 

39 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The white ball head coach announcement is interesting.

This ... I mean ... ho hum ... 

Yes it is

And yes it is , 8 of the team who capitulated in Grenada ( the other 3 are injured )

• Haha 1

I am sorry if this has been mentioned before, but when i look at the league tables and the batting & bowling pts i haven’t a clue what they’re all about. Could someone please explain them to me and how they get those points !. 

It is how many runs you can score in the first 110 overs of the first innings , summat like if you can get 400 in those first 110 then 5 batting points , reducing if you score less.

If you can take all 10 wkts in first 110 overs , 5 bowling points.

7 hours ago, Josef K said:

I am sorry if this has been mentioned before, but when i look at the league tables and the batting & bowling pts i haven’t a clue what they’re all about. Could someone please explain them to me and how they get those points !. 

They are tweaked every so often. The current details are here:

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/846404/how-does-the-county-championship-scoring-system-work

• Like 2