Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

And, deserving of its own post, Katherine Brunt has stepped back from Test cricket.

A fifteen year career yields only 14 career caps which shows how infrequently women's tests are happening - a key reason why there are louder voices within the women's game calling for greater independence from the ICC.

(Personally, I'd remove the ICC from everything other than top tier men's international cricket ...)

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

With a somewhat predictable outcome?

Meanwhile, last night was apparently the White Rose's biggest ever win in T20.

We won by 65 runs - so that probably speaks to 20 years of massive underachievement in white ball rather than specific majesty, although we did bat well (a rare Brook failure excepted).

Very predictable, I’d go as far as say inevitable. Not sure how you can win a t20 game when you load your team with red ball top order batters, part time spinners and only 2 seamers, 1 of which hasn’t been trusted to bowl in the power play before.

Fair play to Yorkshire. When they have call ups, they bring players through to replace them. Lancs don’t seem willing to give any young players a chance, even when missing half a team. 

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

Very predictable, I’d go as far as say inevitable. Not sure how you can win a t20 game when you load your team with red ball top order batters, part time spinners and only 2 seamers, 1 of which hasn’t been trusted to bowl in the power play before.

Fair play to Yorkshire. When they have call ups, they bring players through to replace them. Lancs don’t seem willing to give any young players a chance, even when missing half a team. 

It’s not normally that way round. Lancs seem to be losing their way a bit at the minute.

In an example of the ridiculous scheduling this summer, Yorkshire are just now starting playing in Chesterfield having finished at 9.30 or so in Durham last night.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

They're just trolling the purists now, aren't they?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

39 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

They're just trolling the purists now, aren't they?

They are. It’s literally a four day hit about before the start of the CPL. They could not make it any clearer.

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

One of the more bizarre chapters and characters in cricket history 

Edited by DavidM

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

They are. It’s literally a four day hit about before the start of the CPL. They could not make it any clearer.

I've already copyrighted a 5 over tournament with innovations like doubling your score for consecutive sixes or fours that could allow you to score 6+12+18+24+30+36=126 from a single over! Also, if someone is out for a duck, the next batsman has to bat in a duck costume. And, once per innings, the bowler can replace the ball with a piece of fruit of their choice without the batsman knowing. I'm onto a winner I reckon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Back in the real world, Derbyshire have won 5 in a row. I would love it if we could beat Notts at Trent Bridge tomorrow to make it 6.

Sadly Shan Masood is missing for the whole of July which will make  a big dent in Derbyshire's chances in both T20 and CC formats.

Edited by tim2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

13 minutes ago, tim2 said:

the bowler can replace the ball with a piece of fruit of their choice without the batsman knowing

I’m sure in the recesses of my brain is the story of a bowler bowling with an orange as a joke 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I’m sure in the recesses of my brain is the story of a bowler bowling with an orange as a joke 

At my school's Summer sports day, we had an annual pupils v teachers cricket match. The first delivery to the teachers' side was always a full toss, because the "ball" was a scotch egg, painted red.

And the teacher at the crease, to his credit, would slog it as hard as humanly possible.

A messy but necessary tradition.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lizzie Jones branching out into Cricket, with the anthems just now.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Using MS Word's Dictation tool while listening to TMS, to generate some experimental stream-of-consciousness prose.
"At the end of it. William Sonoma 16. Gonna get over some sentence. Jack, back off the pitch. Excited that at the spinners when it seems it spins the old classics **** or Jack Leach wicket with his first ball with one that just held. It's in the middle of middle stump.

Stevens team for this game. At the tail should have played. Jeremy's a part time spinners, Patel said at full time. Spin outs, isn't that as well as Bracewell? That's the call they made. Here is Leech falling to Williamson.

Crawley and pots. Amid all this, that's all today in Leeds. Leach falls. Bullet goes darling sentence like very carefully.

Back up the offside. The pitch.

There is no life."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Using MS Word's Dictation tool while listening to TMS, to generate some experimental stream-of-consciousness prose.
"At the end of it. William Sonoma 16. Gonna get over some sentence. Jack, back off the pitch. Excited that at the spinners when it seems it spins the old classics **** or Jack Leach wicket with his first ball with one that just held. It's in the middle of middle stump.

Stevens team for this game. At the tail should have played. Jeremy's a part time spinners, Patel said at full time. Spin outs, isn't that as well as Bracewell? That's the call they made. Here is Leech falling to Williamson.

Crawley and pots. Amid all this, that's all today in Leeds. Leach falls. Bullet goes darling sentence like very carefully.

Back up the offside. The pitch.

There is no life."

And now here's Bob with the weather.

(To repurpose Bill Hicks)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ckn said:

New Zealand must have upset some ancient gods given the luck they get with cricketing oddities sometimes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I was wondering if that was a dead ball but everyone seemed to know otherwise and didn’t question it 

I think if you're the fielding team you appeal for the catch and fake it till it's given.

Sky did confirm that the ball is live and can be caught if it deflects off the other batter, a runner, any fielder and either umpire.

Personally, having seen boundaries not happen because the umpire couldn't get out of the way quick enough, I would dead ball the second it hits an umpire - they're not an active participant unlike the others listed.

You don't have to worry about dropped catches if you're smashing the wickets over like this.

(given my proven lack of cricket knowledge, I now wait for five dropped catches in the next three overs)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"