Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

I’d forgot it was 10.30 . Luckily I put the toss on … and they were about to start . I can only think India dictated that but according to Athers is wasn’t overly publicised ( I don’t know )

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’d forgot it was 10.30 . Luckily I put the toss on … and they were about to start . I can only think India dictated that but according to Athers is wasn’t overly publicised ( I don’t know )

It’s never been hidden but they haven’t done anything to really tell people.

Bizarrely, “India” are also playing a warm up T20 this evening v Derbyshire.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

They stopped for a third umpire catch referral and everyone had a drink , and one ball later they had a drinks break 

Just be grateful there wasn’t then an immediate requirement to change batting gloves or test the ball.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Leicestershire v Yorkshire on Sunday to determine which one gets knocked out in the quarter finals by Surrey ...

First quarter final is on Wednesday.

So far the BBC is showing that as TBC v TBC so not particularly helpful if you're interested in attending or a club/groundsman wanting to set things up.

Lancashire limped through to the quarter finals, where they’ll be without Buttler, Livingstone, Salt, Gleeson and Parkinson. Winning only 1 out of their last 6 games, where they continue to select a third seamer that doesn’t bowl, or get any runs. 

The Indian bowling at the end of this rainy day is just brutal. Root just out was lucky to have lasted that long. 

(my lack of any real cricket knowledge now suggests that’s not accurate and England will get 400+ at 6 an over)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, ckn said:

The Indian bowling at the end of this rainy day is just brutal. Root just out was lucky to have lasted that long. 

(my lack of any real cricket knowledge now suggests that’s not accurate and England will get 400+ at 6 an over)

I suspect we're looking at a big India win - after which the chummy club groupthink of the British media will focus on whether 'Bazball' was the right approach.

The point being that we are so lacking now in consistent wicket-taking bowling that getting our batters to play an aggressive 'ODI' game is all we have left.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I suspect we're looking at a big India win - after which the chummy club groupthink of the British media will focus on whether 'Bazball' was the right approach.

The point being that we are so lacking now in consistent wicket-taking bowling that getting our batters to play an aggressive 'ODI' game is all we have left.

A seam attack of Broad, Anderson and Potts was always going to look ineffective once a pair of batters got in. And the bowling against the tail showed that no lessons were learned against them last year.

Overton should’ve played, probably resting Broad. And an opening batter is needed desperately. Not even Warner and Sehwag have done particularly well as a shot playing opener when playing in England. How the hell is Crawley going to be any different?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Watching the start of today’s play and Bairstow wafting away at dangerous balls that need to be defended or left. He’s lucky he’s not good enough to hit them. Flat track bully play on display. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Now Stokes skipping down the pitch to try to dominate the fastest bowler of the game. Again, he was just not good enough to hit the ball and lucky. 

12 minutes ago, ckn said:

Watching the start of today’s play and Bairstow wafting away at dangerous balls that need to be defended or left. He’s lucky he’s not good enough to hit them. Flat track bully play on display. 

He's not going to play any other way now though. You can't call him up and ask him to play defensively. Or, if you're going to, call someone else up.

28 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

He's not going to play any other way now though. You can't call him up and ask him to play defensively. Or, if you're going to, call someone else up.

"Bat hard and go for it because you can't trust the other batsmen around you?" Essentially treating the rest of the team as rabbits.

A strategy but doesnt half show the weaknesses in the squad.

21 minutes ago, DavidM said:

You’re way better than this Ben 

Yep. It's great being positive and attacking, but in a five day game there are going to be times that you need to be more patient and cautious. Against the top teams in the world, you won't always get away with all out attack.

9 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Yep. It's great being positive and attacking, but in a five day game there are going to be times that you need to be more patient and cautious. Against the top teams in the world, you won't always get away with all out attack.

They’d seen Shami off after an 18 over spell as well 

This will not remove the suspicion that the ECB are being kind to Yorkshire.

Put here - rather than politics - for some the impact on the Blast.

To discuss politics - locate the dead thread over there:

Anyone think this new gung-ho approach will work in Australia on their tracks?

Do we simply hope other test nations takes us on at our game as we go all-out attack with the bat?

Or will we need to cut our cloth (team selection and strategy) accordingly?

I love watching it but we want to win too especially an Ashes series.

2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Not even about being patient or cautious. Just play proper shots. For the two drops and the eventual wicket, I bet Stokes couldn’t even tell you where he was trying to hit them. 

50 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Anyone think this new gung-ho approach will work in Australia on their tracks?

Do we simply hope other test nations takes us on at our game as we go all-out attack with the bat?

Or will we need to cut our cloth (team selection and strategy) accordingly?

I love watching it but we want to win too especially an Ashes series.

Right now, couldn't give a tuppenny about the next Ashes. The over-veneration of the Ashes series - to the extent that every series is regarded as some kind of preparation for it and then we turn up horrendously overthinking everything and lose 5-0 in an anxious mess - is a big part of our problem.

We have literally zero other ways of playing right now so this is the way to play.

And if we want to change that then somebody is going to have to put some proper thought and resourcing into developing and coaching the next generation of players because there's not exactly a large number around to replace those who are out there. 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Right now, couldn't give a tuppenny about the next Ashes. The over-veneration of the Ashes series - to the extent that every series is regarded as some kind of preparation for it and then we turn up horrendously overthinking everything and lose 5-0 in an anxious mess - is a big part of our problem.

We have literally zero other ways of playing right now so this is the way to play.

And if we want to change that then somebody is going to have to put some proper thought and resourcing into developing and coaching the next generation of players because there's not exactly a large number around to replace those who are out there. 

My limited cricketing knowledge as a punter tells me that conditions vary across the globe where cricket is played.

So what you can achieve in India for example will not hold true in Australia - which I’m sure you know.  

I agree that each series and team and tour should be given it’s due and maybe if a more exciting World Test Championship could be contrived then we might get there.

I must admit though personally I grew up admiring the cricketing powers of the mid 80s/90s so I do see beating any good Australian team in Australia as the ultimate.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yes , it really is and we end up being over clever and it does us no good anyway as however much we learn lessons and next time it’ll be different it err isn’t … So judt stick to the next game and give every series equal respect , we’re not good enough to do anything more !

• Like 1