Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

11 hours ago, JonM said:

That's a comment that's not aged well 😉 

Look how long it took Stokes to call him into the attack then. Also consider the overall record between the two. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Match not over yet, and with England's tail beginning at number 8. which could fall very quickly....

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

7 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

119 runs to win. Unbelievable stuff. Still might not be easy, but never expected them to be in this position. Wish I lived nearer to Edgbaston.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. I just joined the thread for the first time and see England have been written off in the game on about 4 or 5 occasions.

If Bairstow and Root stay around for 12-15 overs this morning we will be fine. If one or both goes early, it will be interesting to see if Stokes is able to bat with a bit more care and attention than he has mustered with the bat so far this summer. That doesnt mean he shouldn't try to score fast runs, but getting 10 and then blasting it down mid-on's throat will leave the tail with a very tricky situation.

Edited by Just Browny

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. I just joined the thread for the first time and see England have been written off in the game on about 4 or 5 occasions.

If Bairstow and Root stay around for 12-15 overs this morning we will be fine. If one or both goes early, it will be interesting to see if Stokes is able to bat with a bit more care and attention than he has mustered with the bat so far this summer. That doesnt mean he shouldn't try to score fast runs, but getting 10 and then blasting it down mid-on's throat will leave the tail with a very tricky situation.

I thought we'd collapse given how silly the third wicket was but that didn't happen.

Like you say, a solid start - and that will involve both players playing their 'natural' game - and England will have to do something pretty special not to win. If India get an early breakthrough then the game likely swings once more.

The remarkable thing is how quickly the unwritten rules of Test cricket (in England at least) have been torn up. 

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A good day to be home sick.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

More replacement balls than wickets in that England innings, I think. A very good run-chase.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

There are really no words anymore . 100 years overturned in no time !

The game of Test cricket has been changed.

It may change back, it may not be the same outside England, but it has definitely been changed.

So good to see.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It may change back, it may not be the same outside England, but it has definitely been changed.

So good to see.

A captain at the toss saying ‘ we want to chase ‘ . It just seems that we’ve transplanted a highly successful one day formula into the test arena . Pundits are trying to analyse and explain but I think the coach , captain and players just see it very very simply . It won’t always come off but I’m looking at when the next Test is and saying ‘oh there’s  some one dayers in the way ‘ . How goods that ?!

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

A captain at the toss saying ‘ we want to chase ‘ . It just seems that we’ve transplanted a highly successful one day formula into the test arena . Pundits are trying to analyse and explain but I think the coach , captain and players just see it very very simply . It won’t always come off but I’m looking at when the next Test is and saying ‘oh there’s  some one dayers in the way ‘ . How goods that ?!

I agree with you David.

Ive literally just been on the ECB site looking ahead.

South Africa in August and because of the way we are approaching tests it seems too far in the future!

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So good to see.

A new dawn.

Although tests seem well attended in England, it’s been disappointing to see sparse attendance in other countries for the ultimate format.

If England can make this work and others copy, then perhaps an exciting fresh start for test cricket.

Maybe this is an overreaction to winning (drawing) in style! Haha

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Sometimes, over-thinking the game can be more of a problem than a solution. Especially for England.

If/when the wheels come off the "Bazball" approach and it all goes to poo again, we will at least have been entertained by the kind of batting Joe Root just served up.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A bizarre summer, with a combination of England's approach a batch of Duke balls that resemble a Kookaburra after 20 overs and pitches that get better as the game goes on, rather than deteriorating have flipped general conventions around. Challenge will be whether Stokes and McCullum can notice if any of these factors change, and they have to revert, as well as managing the cross format players.

Never in all of my 47 years( ahem ) have I ever seen anything like it.

I'm just enjoying it for what it is. If the wheels come off so what? It's been a blast. Thank you Stokes, Bairstow, Root el al

• Like 2

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Back to white ball T20 (as opposed to BazBall test T20) tomorrow. Where Surrey minus Curran, Jordan, Topley and Roy, taken on Yorkshire minus Root, Bairstow, Brook, Willey and Rashid, in one of the few competitions that sees the quality get weaker the further you progress.

Be none of that next month, when some Notts players get to fulfil a lifelong dream of representing a nearby river.

8 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Back to white ball T20 (as opposed to BazBall test T20) tomorrow. Where Surrey minus Curran, Jordan, Topley and Roy, taken on Yorkshire minus Root, Bairstow, Brook, Willey and Rashid, in one of the few competitions that sees the quality get weaker the further you progress.

Objectively, it looks to me like Yorkshire have the stronger team but our ability to be absolutely abysmal in white ball cricket at a moment's notice (and the fact that it's at the Oval) leads me to presume that Surrey will win.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Objectively, it looks to me like Yorkshire have the stronger team but our ability to be absolutely abysmal in white ball cricket at a moment's notice (and the fact that it's at the Oval) leads me to presume that Surrey will win.

Suspect that the south group is a fair bit stronger than the north group, just based on the fact that Lancs have finished second, despite looking pretty poor for a large part of the season. 

I dread to think what Essex will get against our combination of part time bowlers now Gleason and Parkinson are missing. 

6 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Suspect that the south group is a fair bit stronger than the north group, just based on the fact that Lancs have finished second, despite looking pretty poor for a large part of the season. 

I dread to think what Essex will get against our combination of part time bowlers now Gleason and Parkinson are missing. 

Yes, I think the South Group is stronger.

I also think Yorks's *on paper* team in pretty much every game bar a couple has massively under-performed.

But that's par for the white ball course.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson