Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

More interesting than the actual game itself was the rain delay discussion involving the pundits on SKY, with Mischevious Mike Atherton, the Times Cricket Correspondent and therefore the only one that does not bite the hand that feeds him, sailing close to calling for the 💯 to be punted.

No such honesty from Hussein or Knight and some interesting observations from Shaun Pollock on the death of the domestic 4 day game in South Africa and the rest of the world and Mark Butcher offering the equally valid observation that while England may ditch the 50 over game (of which they are world champions) but the rest of the world could be ditching test cricket instead

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/cricket/12656964/michael-atherton-feels-cricket-has-reached-tipping-point-says-there-will-be-fewer-bilateral-series

Still there are those who would sell the loss making 💯 franchises to IPL owners at the ECB just as the South African Just have.,. what problem could that cause....

I predict Ben Stokes as a short term England captain giving upn the post after the 2023 Ashes win or lose then once the 50 0ver World Cup has finished the exodus from the English game to the franchise leagues will begin.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

20 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is the 💯 being played anywhere else?

You mean more grounds in England or other leagues around the world?

The answer is the same: nope.

We're very, very close to admitting that it's fundamentally a franchise T20 league under direct ECB control. I'd really not be surprised to see it morph into that formally in the next year or so.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

You mean more grounds in England or other leagues around the world?

The answer is the same: nope.

We're very, very close to admitting that it's fundamentally a franchise T20 league under direct ECB control. I'd really not be surprised to see it morph into that formally in the next year or so.

Thanks mate, that’s what I was getting after.

So what happens to the Blast in theory?

The Hundred was going to save cricket and it has brought a new audience so far, but I imagine it’s been a loss leader financially.

Is there more that I’m missing?

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

So what happens to the Blast in theory?

Genuinely no idea but further diminishment seems likely.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The Hundred was going to save cricket and it has brought a new audience so far, but I imagine it’s been a loss leader financially.

I just think it’s a huge white elephant . They can push it and push it all they want , I reckon most fans have no real affinity with it . 

• Like 1

Dear God, this South Africa side look like a school side in the field v England in the T20 from Bristol right now.

Last over, 6, 6 wide, wide, 1, 6, 6, 6.

Moheen Ali and Jonny Bairstow on fire.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Three dropped catches in the last few minutes.

Just now, Old Frightful said:

Dear God, this South Africa side look like a school side in the field v England in the T20 from Bristol right now.

Last over, 6, 6 wide, wide, 1, 6, 6, 6.

Moheen Ali and Jonny Bairstow on fire.

It's fun to watch but how is that an acceptable ground for an international T20. (I've thought this about Bristol before).

My boy's school field has bigger boundaries.

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's fun to watch but how is that an acceptable ground for an international T20. (I've thought this about Bristol before).

My boy's school field has bigger boundaries.

Absolutely, but South Africa will have the same short boundaries so could be some fun ahead.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Absolutely, but South Africa will have the same short boundaries so could be some fun ahead.

Could easily be a rerun this evening in Cardiff.

Don’t like Morgan commentating, his voice grates. IMO of course. I think they use smaller sized playing areas for more sixes to be hit. The punters seem to like them. Even on the larger sized grounds the boundary rope is noticeably nearer the wicket in T20 matches

This is a good article on South Africans playing for England.

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1326249/you-cant-fully-run-away-from-where-you-come

• Thanks 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 29/07/2022 at 13:37, THE RED ROOSTER said:

This is a good article on South Africans playing for England.

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1326249/you-cant-fully-run-away-from-where-you-come

Q. Where do England cricketers stay when they're touring South Africa? 

A. At their parents house.

Interesting article. Personally, I never differentiated between Lamb, Hick, Robin Smith (who I loved anyway because he played for Hampshire) and the English born players. They were all playing for England, so they all had my total support.

On 28/07/2022 at 21:11, Robin Evans said:

Jason Roy looks like a rabbit caught int lights.....

He looked woefully out of sorts and lacking any kind of confidence 

He was disappointing again today, although that could be said about most of the batters. The problem is that Roy is always out there during the powerplay, and we really can't afford to have people woefully out of form during those first 6 overs. I guess it's a case of how long do you persist with him, hoping that he will come good again. I think at the very least I would have be tempted to move him down the order.

England were poor today, but South Africa bowled well. Everything we hit seemed to find their fielders - I actually resorted to counting them at one stage, just to make sure they hadn't sneaked on a couple of extra players. I'm sure we were trying our best, but we just couldn't get the ball into the spaces. The required run rate just kept growing and we had no answers. After this and the India defeat, I'm hoping I'll see my first win this season at the Rosebowl on Wednesday, when the Southern Brave are back in town. Bring on The Hundred! 😛

But it's fine because people in Chesterfield and Derby can go and watch their local crisp league team

Does seem crazy to be endangering all that tradition for a bunch of made up regional teams in a format nobody else in the world has embraced.

I am aware of the inner political intrigue at play with the ECB and the counties, but am still struggling with it.

What a bonkers waste of money I feel - must get down to Lord’s to inform HQ that I have some ‘magic’ beans that can be acquired at the right price.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Yorkshire get to 353-5 in 46 overs in a shortened game v Northants.

I'm assuming York has short boundaries.

38 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Lancashire v Essex at Sedbergh abandoned without a ball being bowled. Been torrential for ages until recently up this way 

Disappointing.

Are Lancs playing there again?