Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Bairstow pulls out of The Hundred to prioritise the test series with South Africa.

Love it!

The Hundred has done really poorly in retaining star names for this year - I don't think it will matter in terms of audience but it's interesting how much big money has gone to functional journeyman players.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Nice to see Barbados wearing a (decent) change kit in their match against India now. Really bugs me how many times the game ends up with kit clashes - which defeats the object of coloured clothing in the first place.

Also, nice to see a decent score for Rodrigues.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Decent looking crowd in at York.

However, need an explanation as why Lancashire are wearing blue.

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Decent looking crowd in at York.

However, need an explanation as why Lancashire are wearing blue.

Honestly , I stupidly thought coloured clothing was to differentiate teams . But I watch so many games where teams are wearing the eponymous yellow and blue 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Honestly , I stupidly thought coloured clothing was to differentiate teams . But I watch so many games where teams are wearing the eponymous yellow and blue 

It's a recurring issue. Either a yellowish top and dark trousers clash or some variant of two teams in two tone blue. Yorks and Lancs are both sponsored by Seat Unique as well to make it worse.

I'm at the game in York, glad I brought a deckchair. The ground is rammed. Pretty enjoyable so far, particularly as a Lancashire supporter, although the Yorkshire #9, #10 and #11 batsmen did a great job of recovery. Given the size of the outfield, it seems like 100+ short of a competitive total though, so Yorkshire will need to take some wickets.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JonM said:

I'm at the game in York, glad I brought a deckchair. The ground is rammed. Pretty enjoyable so far, particularly as a Lancashire supporter, although the Yorkshire #9, #10 and #11 batsmen did a great job of recovery. Given the size of the outfield, it seems like 100+ short of a competitive total though, so Yorkshire will need to take some wickets.

Just under 5,000 there. For a daytime midweek game with so little promotion in a forgotten competition ... I don't care that it's a Roses game, that's incredible.

Australia v New Zealand

England v India

as the Commonwealth semi finalists. 11,000 at Edgbaston to see England absolutely muller a surprisingly off-form bunch of Kiwis last night.

Australia still favourites to cruise to the gold medal though. Nobody is even close unless they beat themselves somehow.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Australia v New Zealand

England v India

as the Commonwealth semi finalists. 11,000 at Edgbaston to see England absolutely muller a surprisingly off-form bunch of Kiwis last night.

Australia still favourites to cruise to the gold medal though. Nobody is even close unless they beat themselves somehow.

I thought India put in a good display against them in the group when they skittled out the top order.

Unfortunately though Australia bat deep as the commentator pointed out and do everything else well.

In the end the Aussies got home with a bit to spare.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

3 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Good article here on Cricket's class divide  - Do you have to be rich to playCricket ?

https://beingoutsidecricket.com/

Agree with this:

“So to answer the question in the title: Perhaps you don’t have to be ‘rich’ to play county cricket, but you certainly won’t make it if you’re poor.”

Its not impossible but improbable.

The Freddie Flintoff series on cricket in Preston should have been an eye opener for the authorities as even Flintoff was unknown amongst many of those youngsters featured and they spelled out clearly what cricket needs to do.

Sadly I fear nothing will change as some will prefer the old boys club feeling and the elitism.

11 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Think the first article is swimming against the tide as the money and opportunities are with the shorter formats.

The second article is interesting as the BBL and WBBL do seem successful and would have to be cannibalised to accommodate a switch to the Hundred.

My reading of the comments is that there’s some fairly clued up readers who’ve identified the ECB power play with the counties.

Truthfully though the Hundred rightly or wrongly was also designed to create new fans and turn interested onlookers who didn’t feel at home in the Blast into monetised customers.

Not sure whether that aspect translates fully from the U.K. context to the Australian one.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Think the first article is swimming against the tide as the money and opportunities are with the shorter formats.

The second article is interesting as the BBL and WBBL do seem successful and would have to be cannibalised to accommodate a switch to the Hundred.

My reading of the comments is that there’s some fairly clued up readers who’ve identified the ECB power play with the counties.

Truthfully though the Hundred rightly or wrongly was also designed to create new fans and turn interested onlookers who didn’t feel at home in the Blast into monetised customers.

Not sure whether that aspect translates fully from the U.K. context to the Australian one.

Cricket will eat itself.

The Hundred was a direct copy - even down to having eight teams - of the BBL. Its stated aim is to copy the Australian model of having teams in the country's major cities.

Obviously, we have to pretend both that Southampton is a major city *and* that we're like Australia in only having six population centres for the fit to work but, don't worry, those boffins at the ECB are right on it.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Obviously, we have to pretend both that Southampton is a major city *and* that we're like Australia in only having six population centres for the fit to work but, don't worry, those boffins at the ECB are right on it.

In the same way that they pretend England only has 17 counties?

6 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

In the same way that they pretend England only has 17 counties?

The original, original aim of what became The Hundred was to have games in cities where there was no current cricket.

I wholeheartedly supported the idea.

• Like 1

England always seemed to be playing catch up v India and so it proved. NZ fighting harder today than against England in the group game but … well, it’s still not looking like being enough.

Australia to beat India for the gold tomorrow.

23 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’ve tried to watch two Hundred games now and despite the commentators telling me it’s the best thing ever I just can’t get into it at all .

Having FOUR commentators wittering on I got out of it.

On 05/08/2022 at 12:56, Gerrumonside ref said:

The second article is somewhat tongue in cheek my point in bringing both is actually the similarities in debate in both hemispheres - (i.e. T20 when is enough ?

6 hours ago, Stirlin said:

Having FOUR commentators wittering on I got out of it.

The commentators work to an instruction manual from BBC / SKY as to what to say and not say on air. Don't believe me ask Mark Butcher. That why you have "the bestest game ever" each night.

• Like 3

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

11 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The second article is somewhat tongue in cheek my point in bringing both is actually the similarities in debate in both hemispheres - (i.e. T20 when is enough ?

The commentators work to an instruction manual from BBC / SKY as to what to say and not say on air. Don't believe me ask Mark Butcher. That why you have "the bestest game ever" each night.

Bumble said that and he said he spent more and more time getting pulled up by the boss about summat he’d said