Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

It's not the end of the world. Us fat-gits in the crowd have have still got Paul Sterling as our standard bearer.

The radio described him as diving for a catch the other day.

I found that a bit unlikely.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Anyway, the QFs will be:

Leicestershire v Kent (winner away to Sussex)

Lancashire v Nottinghamshire (winner away to Hampshire)

Lancs are playing at Blackpool. Be nice to see a crowd for that one, even though it's on a Friday.

Edited by gingerjon
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Anyway, the QFs will be:

Leicestershire v Kent (winner away to Sussex)

Lancashire v Nottinghamshire (winner away to Hampshire)

Lancs are playing at Blackpool. Be nice to see a crowd for that one, even though it's on a Friday.

Would the winners of Lancs / Notts play Sussex in the semi final? Thought they would try to keep the top two of a group separate till the final

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Would the winners of Lancs / Notts play Sussex in the semi final? Thought they would try to keep the top two of a group separate till the final

I'm going off what wiki says so ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see that Topley has decided that playing in the Hundred is too much of a risk to his chances of playing the t20 world cup.

Add in the fact that next year will see the likes of Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Pope and anyone else that has been asked to play an ashes series within a ridiculously condensed timeframe will likely pull out of the competition to get a rest, I can see the competition fizzling out over the course of the current Sky deal.

Hopefully, in it's place they can put more emphasis on the Blast, maybe 2 divisions with P&R and an extra overseas place to help improve the standard, along with a push to get families in, and seem less like one massive stag do on finals day.

• Like 2

The Ashes is so inconvenient . Once this precedent is set I guess we can move the 2024 Test summer to May and early June to avoid clashing with the Euros. Maybe just scrap Test cricket , it’s just getting in the way of all the popcorn cricket ( and footy , which has obviously just been invented )

Edited by DavidM
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, phiggins said:

I see that Topley has decided that playing in the Hundred is too much of a risk to his chances of playing the t20 world cup.

Add in the fact that next year will see the likes of Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Pope and anyone else that has been asked to play an ashes series within a ridiculously condensed timeframe will likely pull out of the competition to get a rest, I can see the competition fizzling out over the course of the current Sky deal.

Hopefully, in it's place they can put more emphasis on the Blast, maybe 2 divisions with P&R and an extra overseas place to help improve the standard, along with a push to get families in, and seem less like one massive stag do on finals day.

Would be happy to see this analysis of The Hundred come to fruition and the Blast be repurposed this way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

In the Fire vs Brave game? Surely you weren't listening to that?

Absolutely no idea which game it was. It was on the radio whilst I was driving my son about town.

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Absolutely no idea which game it was. It was on the radio whilst I was driving my son about town.

I doubt it was Ireland vs Afghanistan, so I think it must have been the Fire/Brave.

Who'd have thought it. gingerjon, a secret lemonade drinker The Hundred listener.

Your reputation on here is now in tatters. Tickets to the Ageas Bowl on Thursday, perhaps?

7 hours ago, phiggins said:

Yeah, I thought that was a bit weird. I hope Notts win, because if it's Lancashire and we lose, we won't have played anyone in the other group.

13 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I doubt it was Ireland vs Afghanistan, so I think it must have been the Fire/Brave.

Quite probably. Rather like when I have the IPL commentary on, it was good background noise but I couldn't have told you what was going on in the match beyond noting occasional things like a fat lad going for a catch.

Potts or Robinson? I like Robinson, but is he fit? Saying that having Potts, Broad and Anderson and there's not much variety.

Crawley. Well.. probably should be dropped but who for? Would love to see Brook given time as well, but i can't see him breaking into that middle order.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

SA won the toss, and will bat first.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

The Ashes is so inconvenient . Once this precedent is set I guess we can move the 2024 Test summer to May and early June to avoid clashing with the Euros. Maybe just scrap Test cricket , it’s just getting in the way of all the popcorn cricket ( and footy , which has obviously just been invented )

Oh dear!

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

Potts or Robinson? I like Robinson, but is he fit? Saying that having Potts, Broad and Anderson and there's not much variety.

Crawley. Well.. probably should be dropped but who for? Would love to see Brook given time as well, but i can't see him breaking into that middle order.

Every time we do badly with the bat a bowler gets dropped 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Every time we do badly with the bat a bowler gets dropped 

The bowlers in the last test got a decent take from the pitch and quality of batsmen, was not their fault in any way.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"