Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

151 all out. Glad I've got tomorrow off, so I can practice advanced loafing and drinking, as I follow the end-game. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’ll tip my hat to Crawley , proper test match batting in first innings , grinding it out and getting the ball softer for the middle order . Batting time and there’s plenty of it . You need one guy like that

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’ll tip my hat to Crawley , proper test match batting in first innings , grinding it out and getting the ball softer for the middle order . Batting time and there’s plenty of it . You need one guy like that

Yep. He has a lot of talent, but his country record suggests that he doesn't score runs consistently. 

See how he goes today and then it'd be interesting to see how Stokes bats.

ps. Is Stokes is the most overrated cricketer in the world....

Edited by MattSantos

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

6 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Is Stokes is the most overrated cricketer in the world...

In what way is he overrated?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

Good question. I think i find frustration in the way that he's revered as a world class batsman. I don't believe he is.

I tend to agree. He is very good, but once the better bowlers work out how to counter his ultra-aggressive play then his temperament does not seem capable of slowing down to normal test batting of picking off bad balls.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Crawley doing far better than I gave him credit for in my mind. Solid, holding his end, and earning the luck he has had.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Crawley doing far better than I gave him credit for in my mind. Solid, holding his end, and earning the luck he has had.

WITHIN ONE MINUTE of me posting this, he loses his wicket to a ball he has been handling so well before.

FFS...

I said this when we came back from Covid and we had home umpires against WI and not much has changed , Illingworth really is an average umpire . Some of his decisions at this level in the last couple of years …

• Like 1

Good morning's play for England. Great chance to build a decent 1st innings lead. I haven't checked the forecast, but hopefully the weather is fine for the remaining days. It would be great to level the series and set up a decider at The Oval.

Elsewhere, Southern Brave produce a tremendous finish to beat the Trent Rockets. It probably will all be in vain, but as things stand we're still clinging on to a slim chance of making the eliminator.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I tend to agree. He is very good, but once the better bowlers work out how to counter his ultra-aggressive play then his temperament does not seem capable of slowing down to normal test batting of picking off bad balls.

Except at Headingley in 2019

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Good question. I think i find frustration in the way that he's revered as a world class batsman. I don't believe he is.

Just as with these sorts of discussions in every sport, it depends where you draw the boundaries. People will have different criteria for deciding what is a world class batsman.

24 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Just as with these sorts of discussions in every sport, it depends where you draw the boundaries. People will have different criteria for deciding what is a world class batsman.

Fair. He's clearly an exceptional cricketer.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

England 308 for 5. Not bad, not bad at all.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson