Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

Foakes gets his century, as Stokes did before. England getting close to 400, now.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Declared on 415 for 9, and 9 overs to have a crack at the SA openers before the end of the day.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Declared on 415 for 9, and 9 overs to have a crack at the SA openers before the end of the day.

The crowd denied the chance to see their hero come in and smash it around Burnley Lara style 

• Haha 1

Just now, DavidM said:

The crowd denied the chance to see their hero come in and smash it around Burnley Lara style 

Jimmeh didn't even bother putting his batting gear on. The declaration was clearly going to be as soon as the 9th wicket went.

And if he can take a wicket or two before stumps, the crowd will be happy.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

We talk about pace , but we really  lack a top class spinner and have since Swann . I often watch Leach and it’s neat but bar the occasional ball is it  threatening . And we go to the subcontinent next . A lot of it I guess is in when we play first class cricket and on what kind of pitches 

The Saffers are one wicket away from an innings defeat. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, DavidM said:

We talk about pace , but we really  lack a top class spinner and have since Swann . I often watch Leach and it’s neat but bar the occasional ball is it  threatening . And we go to the subcontinent next . A lot of it I guess is in when we play first class cricket and on what kind of pitches 

I think Leach has been ruined by having basically two seasons where he sat in a nice England tracksuit and played no cricket.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Excellent turnaround from Lancs yesterday, from 67/5 after 15 overs, to winning by 65 runs.

One observation from being at the test match on Saturday. Not much merchandise available for Lancs gear, unless your size include a number of Xs, while there's still plenty of Originals gear available, which I'm wondering if you can even buy in Manchester?

5 hours ago, phiggins said:

Excellent turnaround from Lancs yesterday, from 67/5 after 15 overs, to winning by 65 runs.

One observation from being at the test match on Saturday. Not much merchandise available for Lancs gear, unless your size include a number of Xs, while there's still plenty of Originals gear available, which I'm wondering if you can even buy in Manchester?

They play tonight I think, against Surrey for a place in the final eliminator.

6 hours ago, phiggins said:

Typical for Sussex across all formats at the minute. They have players who play well in bursts but rarely stretch it out across a whole match or season - and rarely all at the same time. I think they're pretty happy with how their RLODC season went overall.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Typical for Sussex across all formats at the minute. They have players who play well in bursts but rarely stretch it out across a whole match or season - and rarely all at the same time. I think they're pretty happy with how their RLODC season went overall.

They had comfortably the best batter in the competition playing for them, but on this occaision he failed pretty badly.

They'll be rueing how they allowed 6th and 7th wicket partnerships to add so many runs against them though.

9 minutes ago, phiggins said:

They had comfortably the best batter in the competition playing for them, but on this occaision he failed pretty badly.

They'll be rueing how they allowed 6th and 7th wicket partnerships to add so many runs against them though.

Agreed. The difference in attitude overall is probably a key reason why Lancs were able to find a way to win.

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Agreed. The difference in attitude overall is probably a key reason why Lancs were able to find a way to win.

It is a very experienced Lancs side. It's essentially the county championship side with Lavelle in for Salt and Hurt in for Wood.

Aside from Lavelle, I'm not sure if any of the players wouldn't have been better off playing first class cricket this month.

12 minutes ago, phiggins said:

It is a very experienced Lancs side. It's essentially the county championship side with Lavelle in for Salt and Hurt in for Wood.

Aside from Lavelle, I'm not sure if any of the players wouldn't have been better off playing first class cricket this month.

Nobody wants to play or watch first class cricket in August.

3 hours ago, phiggins said:

Yes they do. Then we'll know whether it is two cities, or a tube stop and a city that joins the river in the eliminators.

I hadn't thought of that. 

Trent presumably represents Leicestershire, Notts and Derby then? 

Manchester are doing well so far. Though an all London semi final would be interesting? 

6 hours ago, Niels said:

Manchester are doing well so far. Though an all London semi final would be interesting? 

Manchester Originals have really turned things around, after losing their first three matches. Southern Brave did similar last year, as we lost our first two matches, before going on a winning run (one "no result" in the process) all the way to the final and winners.

It's all set up to be a great game on Friday between Manchester Originals and London Spirit. I was hoping to go, but the Ageas Bowl is sold out, and has been for weeks. I can't understand these people that like The Hundred. They should stay home and instead find an internet forum to moan about it on. It's ridiculous them going out and enjoying watching cricket, when they could and should be at home being miserable because not everything is always perfect.

Do you support a team in cricket, Niels? I read elsewhere that you're an AFC Bournemouth fan, so are you perhaps a Hampshire and Southern Brave fan, like myself?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

I can't understand these people that like The Hundred

I'll make it simple for you again then.

It's the way it's cost £40m (and rising). It's the way it has yet to return a profit and is still making a loss. It's the way it takes a sport that plays its top level domestic matches in over 40 places and reduces that to 7. It's the way it takes the ECB's marketing budget away from (as an example) the women's national side leading to reduced crowds and exposure for that team. It's the way its TV audience has halved and attendances & ticket sales (not the same thing as we are all painfully aware) fallen. And, lastly, it's the way it has taken over the fixture list so that if you're not one of those lucky 7 places you will get virtually no accessibly cricket for months of the summer.

I can add one more to my usual list having caught the Welsh Fire on TV a few times: it's the way there is literally nothing to stop a franchise just draining the money and playing to vistas of empty seats if it is fortunate enough to be one of the chosen locations.

But, glad you enjoyed it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Manchester Originals have really turned things around, after losing their first three matches. Southern Brave did similar last year, as we lost our first two matches, before going on a winning run (one "no result" in the process) all the way to the final and winners.

It's all set up to be a great game on Friday between Manchester Originals and London Spirit. I was hoping to go, but the Ageas Bowl is sold out, and has been for weeks. I can't understand these people that like The Hundred. They should stay home and instead find an internet forum to moan about it on. It's ridiculous them going out and enjoying watching cricket, when they could and should be at home being miserable because not everything is always perfect.

Do you support a team in cricket, Niels? I read elsewhere that you're an AFC Bournemouth fan, so are you perhaps a Hampshire and Southern Brave fan, like myself?

I like Southern braves and Hampshire. Headingley is the nearest ground.

I think the 100 has been great. It makes cricket much more accessible to everyone and something is always happening.

The crowds have been excellent also. 

I think the 3 best teams have qualified. 

Yes I follow Bournemouth, do you like football?

Edited by Niels

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

it's the way it has taken over the fixture list so that if you're not one of those lucky 7 places you will get virtually no accessibly cricket for months of the summer.

What happens if we needed a injury / form Test replacement ? Who do we go to , someone doing well in the Hundred ?