Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

15 hours ago, gingerjon said:

[2] "I don't know, it's almost as though not everyone can have everything, all of the time". A lot of words for "I'm alright, Jack". And, good for you, the season is now designed so you can watch cricket. Well done. Must be lovely.

Nice try with the guilt tripping, but you're way off the mark. What I'm doing is living in the real world. A world where the world snooker championships is played in Sheffield every year, not moved around the country so that people like me in Southampton can attend without having to pay £100 plus in train fares and the same again in accomodation costs. A world where England only ever played test cricket in Manchester, London, Birmingham, Nottingham, and Leeds (e.g. never in Southampton). A world where the England football team plays overwhelming at Wembley, the England rugby union team almost entirely in Twickenham, where the All England tennis championships is always in Wimbledon, where the rugby league world cup only bothers to come south of coventry a couple of times, etc. In other words, a world where choices have to be made because not everyone can have equal access to everything.

Obviously you don't live in this world, so you want everything completely equal. That's why I'm sure you want Dorset, Devon, Berkshire, and every other English county not currently involved, to be allowed to join with the likes of Lancashire and Surrey. No way are you going to take an "I'm alright, Jack" attitude and deny them entry, just because you have a team to support (Yorkshire/Sussex).

Which brings me nicely onto women's cricket. What's your view on the Southern Vipers - the team that supposedly represents Hampshire, Sussex, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Dorset, Oxfordshire and the Isle of Wight. They must play their games spread equally between all those places, right? So that everyone has an equal chance to watch the team that represents them. Nope, they've played 16 times at the Hampshire Rose Bowl, 4 times in Arundel, West Sussex, and 5 times in Hove, East Sussex. Not that you and I should care - we're alright, Jack, as they play where we live.

As I said, not everyone can have everything all of the time.

16 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

That’s strange pricing for what I assume are must see games in what I keep being told is an amazing and successful format.

The difficulty with the eliminator is that it's not always possible to know what teams are involved until maybe a day or so before - Southern Brave women were only confirmed late on - so you don't know if you'll be able to support your own team, or will be there as a neutral. That obviously makes a bit of difference, because locals are more likely to go if their team is involved.

The other thing is that the organisers clearly don't care enough about ticket sales, to bother to make any effort towards any sort of customer care and service. For ages, this game has been marked on their website as sold out. It was impossible to purchase any tickets. Suddenly, a day or so before it is to be played, there were tickets available in various categories.

Now, my thoughts are that maybe they withheld a certain amount of tickets, in order to release them when the teams playing was known. If this was the case, I can understand why this is a good idea - people who support those teams can buy at the last minute. However, I can't understand why it is not made clear that this is what is going to happen, complete with information as to when those remaining tickets will be released etc.

As things stand, some people are going to look for tickets early on, see that it's sold out, and won't bother to look again. I mean, why should they, if it's sold out? It just seems such an obvious thing to do, to actually explain how things are - e.g. current available tickets are sold out, but further tickets will be made available on XYZ. That isn't difficult, yet they don't do it. It was only on Thursday that I became aware that tickets were on sale again, by which time I'd already made other plans for the Friday evening and wasn't going to change them last minute. So, even if there was only one empty seat at that stadium, you can put it down to the incompetence of the organisers, because I would have filled it.

• Like 1

Just enjoyed watching Zimbabwe obliterate the Aussies in the 3rd one day international.

Ryan (the Earl of Twirl) Burl took an astounding 5 wickets for 10 runs in just 3 overs as the Aussies were skittles for 141 in just 31 overs with Warner hitting 94.

The Zimbabweans tried their best to throw the match away but won by 3 wickets.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Just enjoyed watching Zimbabwe obliterate the Aussies in the 3rd one day international.

Ryan (the Earl of Twirl) Burl took an astounding 5 wickets for 10 runs in just 3 overs as the Aussies were skittles for 141 in just 31 overs with Warner hitting 94.

94 out of 141 is incredible . I can’t recall anything like that 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

94 out of 141 is incredible . I can’t recall anything like that 

Nowhere near the first class record of New Zealander Glenn Turner, when playing for Worcestershire against Glamorgan in 1977 carried his bat by hitting 141 out of 169!  A total of 83.43% of the total.

After his innings he was interviewed and said ‘I told them - his teammates- that there was nothing wrong with the pitch, but they didn’t seem to believe me!’ 😄😄

1 minute ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Nowhere near the first class record of New Zealander Glenn Turner, when playing for Worcestershire against Glamorgan in 1977 carried his bat by hitting 141 out of 169!  A total of 83.43% of the total.

After his innings he was interviewed and said ‘I told them - his teammates- that there was nothing wrong with the pitch, but they didn’t seem to believe me!’ 😄😄

I remember quite a famous Ashes Test when Slater got 123 I think it was out of a small total , and was blatantly run out but the third umpire didn’t give it for some ridiculous reason like his view was partially obscured 

We should whether the third test proceeds this morning following advice from the DCMS (i.e The Government) to sporting bodies.

There are three options

• Postpone the game and re-arrange for August 2023 (when there is no red ball cricket) as with the 5th Test v India.
  • Extend the game by a day which South Africa, who need the point,s are willing to do
  • Restart the game on Saturday concluding Monday as scheduled

Taking each in turn

The first option sounds attractive, but unlike the India Test in Manchester, the game is actaully underway in that the toss has been made, teams selected and the first day lost to rain. So as with the India test this year it's equally a question of context with both sides potentiually looking different and the World Test Championship cycle having run its course by then.

The second option brings logistics problems for Broadcasters (equipment and costs) and Surrey CCC (catering, stewarding etc). In addition to which how many people can get time off at short notice to actually spectate at the ground.

The third option is the most sensible, we could have lost today to rain as well, and it is the minimum disruption model. The snag with all this is that Surrey lease the Oval from the Duchy of Cornwall so in theory this is the now King Charles III land so the wishesw of the new monarch should be being sought about this.

All will be revealed this morning.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

8 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Both teams declare their first innings and then go for it...

The forecast looks okay. Bit of bazball and we'll have a result before Monday.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 03/09/2022 at 10:39, Adelaide Tiger said:

Not only that, but David "Mr Charming" Warner failed to score a century once again! :kolobok_biggrin:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/03/warner-falls-short-again-as-australia-stunned-by-zimbabwe-in-final-odi 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

49 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I just do not understand how when we’ve had one hour , 11 overs and five stoppages for wickets we stop for a drinks break . In a game we’re trying to rush through . It’s so test cricket 

It's going to be 23 overs tops by lunch.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

South Africa are 72 for 7, as of half time in the C4 Rugby coverage.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m really glad this on today and it’s been a very good watch 

I've listened to bits of it in between the Rugby, so I haven't really followed the flow of the match. Highlights at 7pm on BBC4.

Ralph Waldo Emerson