Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

I'm a coach at a local cricket club not far from Headingley and a lot of people I know there messaged me after the Yorkies were relegated. They were a mixture of resigned, angry, upset and incredibly down.

We have constant banter throughout every season but there's a time to just pipe down. (This is not aimed at Gerrumonside, it's just my observation.)

It's the same with rugby league; I received very little stick when Wire just had an awful season because I didn't dish it out when we beat Leeds in those two cup finals. You don't need to do it because, in sport, you just know how much it means.

Anyway, Lancashire had a pretty good season and look very strong next year, but maybe that's for another day... 😇 🌹

20 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

I'm a coach at a local cricket club not far from Headingley and a lot of people I know there messaged me after the Yorkies were relegated. They were a mixture of resigned, angry, upset and incredibly down.

We have constant banter throughout every season but there's a time to just pipe down. (This is not aimed at Gerrumonside, it's just my observation.)

It's the same with rugby league; I received very little stick when Wire just had an awful season because I didn't dish it out when we beat Leeds in those two cup finals. You don't need to do it because, in sport, you just know how much it means.

Anyway, Lancashire had a pretty good season and look very strong next year, but maybe that's for another day... 😇 🌹

Cricket war is hell, but they’ll survive!

Tidbits of interest particularily tio Yorkies from an evening attended by some of the Cricket Writers Club

• Q - Given everything that has gone on at Yorkshire why has the club not lost Test Match status ?
  • A - Because Yorkshire are close to insolvency and should they become insolvent their biggest creditor, Colin Graves esq, architect of the Mediocre 💯 and bonus payments for well paid executives. would take over the County and in a, politically charged situation, that would put the Fox back in the Hen House so to speak.

• The Kick it Out organisation is apparently about to put out a statement about Chris Watrers articles in The Yorkshire Post on Azeem Rafiq and Lord Patel.

• ESPN Crickinfo and other media outlets are more and more getting overseas coverage of Cricket via sitting Jourtnalists in front of a TV , in much the same way as many of you see the game.. The days of the touring Cricket Writer appear numbered. Although that should not bother Daniel Norcross who cut his teeth presenting Test Match Sofa which as the title suggests is commentary from the settee.

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER
Hit button too early
  • Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 29/09/2022 at 23:02, Gerrumonside ref said:

The opportunity to tease Yorkshire over relegation too good to miss 😘

I agree i phoned up a couple of my yorkshire mates, and i just laughed down the phone at them. They’ll come straight back up though. 

• 2 weeks later...

So far today, Scotland have spanked the Windies, and Ireland are circling the drain v Zimbabwe.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

So far today, Scotland have spanked the Windies, and Ireland are circling the drain v Zimbabwe.

Namibia beat Sri Lanka yesterday by a healthy old margin too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If this bizarre dismissal doesn't start your day with a smile on your lips and a song in your heart, have somebody check your pulse.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/cricket/12726971/bet-against-that-david-warner-bowled-off-the-back-of-his-bat-against-new-zealand

:kolobok_biggrin:

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reece Topley's parents were at Singapore airport on their way to see their boy play for England, when they found out he was injured and on his way home. :kolobok_sad:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Reece Topley's parents were at Singapore airport on their way to see their boy play for England, when they found out he was injured and on his way home. :kolobok_sad:

The toblerones are under scrutiny …

8 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

What a game at the MCG. Ninety thousand crammed in. 

Virat Kohli is a genius.

Possibly the best international T20 I’ve ever seen. Simply magnificent.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Possibly the best international T20 I’ve ever seen. Simply magnificent.

Absolutely, especially the endgame. Hope the highlights are available to those missing the action. Preferably skipping Sky’s opportunity to inject advertisements!  Kohli brilliant.

• Like 1

Great game.  Could someone explain to me the free hit in the last over when the ball hit the stump and they were able to run for three. One of the commentators stated when the ball hit the stump the ball should be dead. Were they allowed to run as I presume there was an edge onto the stump from Kohli's bat.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

28 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Great game.  Could someone explain to me the free hit in the last over when the ball hit the stump and they were able to run for three. One of the commentators stated when the ball hit the stump the ball should be dead. Were they allowed to run as I presume there was an edge onto the stump from Kohli's bat.

The free hit was given for a no ball and you can't be out on a free hit other than by a run out.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Number 16 said:

The free hit was given for a no ball and you can't be out on a free hit other than by a run out.

That doesn't explain it not being a dead ball. You can't run - or I didn't think you could - if you're caught off a free hit.

(I may have to check that.)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

That doesn't explain it not being a dead ball. You can't run - or I didn't think you could - if you're caught off a free hit.

(I may have to check that.)

Confusing end, but...

MCC’s Laws of Cricket states that: “20.1.1 The ball becomes dead when,

20.1.1.1 it is finally settled in the hands of the wicket-keeper or of the bowler.

20.1.1.2 a boundary is scored. See clause 19.7 (Runs scored from boundaries).

20.1.1.3 a batter is dismissed. The ball will be deemed to be dead from the instant of the incident causing the dismissal.”

• Thanks 1