Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

46 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

And yet, for some reason, we're seeing a tense finish where any result is still possible.

Entirely because England went for it and then declared when they did.

The pitch is a joke.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, JonM said:

One of the greatest declarations of all time.

Bold, bonkers, Bazball or all of the above - it made the match. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Bold, bonkers, Bazball or all of the above - it made the match. 

The scoring rate on the first day, too. 

Any other team, that game sees both sides get 500+ over 4 days and then 150 or so in the third innings and nothing happening.

2 hours ago, JonM said:

England had only won one test in Pakistan since the first one we played there, in 1961.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I honestly don't know where to start with that win. To score approaching 7 an over for 135 overs is incredible in itself. But it's all for nothing if you can't take 20 wickets in the time you've given yourself, and I wasn't expecting that to happen with 2 frontline seamers + 1 all rounder and 1 frontline spinner + 2 part time spinners.

To have the session they had at the end is immense credit to the seamers, and the captain for how he managed them throughout the game.

In the midst of the batting carnage and audacious declaration, let us take a moment of quiet contemplation for the Burnley Lara, James Anderson, whose match figures were 5-88 in 46 overs on something that was flatter than the M62. He is (and probably will remain forvever) England's greatest Test bowler.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Test 2: seasoned followers of the game may detect slight differences in the way this one's playing out.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Two very different tests, both entertaining for their own reasons. What will we see in Karachi?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 10/12/2022 at 15:33, DavidM said:

Harry Brook looks the part doesn’t he ?

He's had an amazing 2022 - part of the team which won the T20 world cup, averaged well over 100 in the county championship and over 70 in test cricket. Not many these days who can do it in all forms of cricket. 

Just witnessed the most amazing 20/20 game that I, and others, will never see again.

Tonight Adelaide Strikers played Sydney Thunder in the Big Bash.  On a good pitch Adelaide struggled to reach 139/9.  Then the wife rang for me to pick her up.  I left the TV on to keep the dog company.  Got back 40 minutes later and adverts were on the TV followed by a filler program usually used when weather stops play.

Being curious I went on the IPad to see if Sydney Thunder had started their innings.  All it showed under their name was their score of 15 in 5.5 overs.  Puzzled, I clicked on their scorecard and they were all out for 15!!!!!!  Thankfully as we hadn’t changed channels I rewound the program and watched the carnage.

Wes Agar, brother of Australian cricketer Ashton Agar took 4/6 but wasn’t even the man of the match.

That went to the magnificently named Henry Thomas Raphael James York Thornton who took 5/3.  He now has figures of 9/23 in two games.

The two main strike bowlers of Peter Siddle and Rashid Khan didn’t even bowl a ball

The wicket keeper Harry Neilson  - no, not the singer - took 5 catches

Amazingly enough not one batsman was out lbw

The highest scorer for the Thunder was number 10 batsman Brendan Doggett who scored 4 via an inside edge.  The only boundary of their innings.

5 Thunder batsmen recorded a duck including England WC hero Alex Hales.

One happy chappie 😄

Edited by Adelaide Tiger
  • Like 2

So, after yesterday's 15-all out, comes another once-in-a-lifetime day in OZ cricket. Look at the colour of this pitch. There's a close-up shot where Cummins slips over and you can see how much grass is on there. I don't recall ever seeing a pitch this green in OZ. Admittedly I haven't watched much cricket the last 20 years but, even so.