Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

England 354 all out, which is something of a remarkable recovery after those early wickets (140-odd for 5). Harry Brook with another century.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Teenage bowler Rehan Ahmed gets five wickets to finish off Pakistan's second innings.

England need 167 to win.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Teenage bowler Rehan Ahmed gets five wickets to finish off Pakistan's second innings.

They've just sent him out to bat at No.3!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ahmed scored a quick 10, but Stokes is in now. 55 needed for the whitewash, with 8 wickets in hand.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

37 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Great stuff , he looks a character to . Hope he goes on and has a great career , we need a top class tweakmerchant and a leggie is gold 

His dad was at the stadium - I reckon that's why Stokes let Rehan have a bat in the second innings.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Farmduck said:

This can't be right. His feet are off the ground but he hasn't got back into the field of play.

It is correct to give him out based on how the Laws are currently written. Whether it is “correct” based on common sense is another issue

16 minutes ago, LeeF said:

It is correct to give him out based on how the Laws are currently written. Whether it is “correct” based on common sense is another issue

Yes - having watched it live on TV and then subsequently, I think the problem is that under what the law drafters wanted to say it should be six, but under what they wrote then it's out.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching the new South Africa T20 league whereby each team has a direct connection to an IPL team in both team colours, name and some synergy with players.

An example of this is MI Cape Town (Mumbai Indians).

Could this be the model that usurps the Blast and the Big Bash eventually?

Syndicated teams from the IPL appearing in each major cricketing region for a T20 competition.

Do you welcome our IPL overlords? 😉

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Just watching the new South Africa T20 league whereby each team has a direct connection to an IPL team in both team colours, name and some synergy with players.

Syndicated teams from the IPL appearing in each major cricketing region for a T20 competition.

IPL already have teams in the CPL (West Indies).

But the bigger money is in the 'International' League T20 taking place in the UAE starting in a few days.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I read that there are 3 million Indians in South Africa, most live in Durban. I think they have some connection with Kolcatta? 

• Like 1

Women's IPL TV rights have been sold.

£95m for 5 years. Over £700,000 per game.

No wonder the BCCI acts like it owns world cricket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Women's IPL TV rights have been sold.

£95m for 5 years. Over £700,000 per game.

No wonder the BCCI acts like it owns world cricket.

Wow!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Are Sussex harming England’s Ashes hopes by signing Steve Smith in order to allow him to adjust to the conditions

Pretty sure he could have found his way to B&Q or Screwfix without needing to be here months ahead of time.

• Haha 2

On 19/01/2023 at 18:07, Gerrumonside ref said:

Are Sussex harming England’s Ashes hopes by signing Steve Smith in order to allow him to adjust to the conditions?

Touring sides to England used to have multiple matches in English conditions against county sides before and during the Test series.

This is one bloke playing three Division 2 matches,

The whining snowflakes need to grow up a bit.

• Like 2

Just now, gingerjon said:

Touring sides to England used to have multiple matches in English conditions against county sides before and during the Test series.

This is one bloke playing three Division 2 matches,

The whining snowflakes need to grow up a bit.

True.

But if his English experience adds up to three rained-off matches, I'll still snigger.

And isn't Marnus Labuschagne also signed up to a county side? I didn't see any manufactured outrage about that.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

And isn't Marnus Labuschagne also signed up to a county side?

Glamorgan, I think? But has played in previous years so that, obviously, is somehow different.

Two of Smith's three games for Sussex are away so they're obviously not particularly good at this cashing in lark.

What was an amusing addition to this was that in the innings break in the ODI coverage, it was so obvious that the Sky lads had been watching the finale of this game that they just admitted it.

May be an image of 4 people, people standing, people playing sport and text that says "IMAGE: MATTHEW LEWIS WISDEN WISDEN.COM ENGLAND nch MACDONALD-GAY 5 cinch พัน ch NGLANT ENGLAND BEAT AUSTRALIA IN THRILLER TO MAKE U19 T20 WORLD CUP FINAL"

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see the PSL back , I’m a fan of that . Although the coverage does remind me of one of my cricket pet niggles … broadcasters who want to plaster as much of the screen as possible with graphics , and with as much detail as possible 

48 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Good to see the PSL back , I’m a fan of that . Although the coverage does remind me of one of my cricket pet niggles … broadcasters who want to plaster as much of the screen as possible with graphics , and with as much detail as possible 

It's odd how they all have different feels to them. I enjoy the Blast (obvs), the PSL and the women's BBL. But the SA20 left me cold, I only have half an interest in the men's BBL, and, whilst I get that it's a high standard, I can't get into the IPL at all.

The CPL plays to a different beat though. A particularly mad one.

Edited by gingerjon

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's odd how they all have different feels to them. I enjoy the Blast (obvs), the PSL and the women's BBL. But the SA20 left me cold, I only have half an interest in the men's BBL, and, whilst I get that it's a high standard, I can't get into the IPL at all.

The CPL plays to a different beat though. A particularly mad one.

Indeed , I don’t think I’ve ever watched an IPLgame