Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

Really interesting first day. England declaring on 325 with an hour and a half to go, then Anderson running in with all 10 fielders around the bat.

NZ cricket always has that village cricket feel about it - the Mount Maunganui ground is a great example. I was surprised to read that Tauranga, which barely registered as a city thirty years ago, has now overtaken Dunedin and Napier/Hastings in terms of population. 

23 hours ago, JonM said:

Really interesting first day. England declaring on 325 with an hour and a half to go, then Anderson running in with all 10 fielders around the bat.

NZ cricket always has that village cricket feel about it - the Mount Maunganui ground is a great example. I was surprised to read that Tauranga, which barely registered as a city thirty years ago, has now overtaken Dunedin and Napier/Hastings in terms of population. 

I watched a 50 over match at that ground when I was there. Red hot and no shade. Lots of free sun block available though.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Tense semi..

Filth!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

New Zealand v England

England declared on 435 for 8. Harry Brook didn't make it to 200, but still.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

England, chasing 258 in their second innings have collapsed to 80/5.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

17 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

England, chasing 258 in their second innings have collapsed to 80/5.

Brook run out without facing a ball.

Root and Stokes are in and England have just passed 100. Tense!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Brook run out without facing a ball.

That's made a bit of a dent in his 100.87 test match average.

Root's got his 50, but this is understandably a lot cagier than England's first innings. 135/5

Ralph Waldo Emerson

NZ's  Henry, has retired hurt, that may be huge in this match.

Edited by Old Frightful

Stokes hobbling, but it's only 10 minutes to lunch, when he can be looked at and (hopefully) treated.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Stokes' leg injury looks worse now than before lunch.

There has been no mention of bringing a runner on for him, is that not an option any more I wonder?

5 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

There has been no mention of bringing a runner on for him, is that not an option any more I wonder?

The rules did change but I don't know what they are now.

Anyway, turns out that it was quite the match!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Well, I gave up around 1am as I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. Can't decide whether to feel disappointed at not witnessing a cracking finish or not....one run!...one bloody run!

Probably pleased I didn't overall, will watch the highlights later.

7 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Stokes' leg injury looks worse now than before lunch.

Runners aren't allowed any more.

I had the radio commentary on and dozed off, but awoke again to hear the last 15-20 minutes of the match. So close!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm in Texas, so the time worked perfectly for me - another amazing game. 

The latest report on Yorkshire CCC is pretty bad - mass deletion of emails in November 2021 is really not a good look if anything ends up in legal action.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

I'm in Texas, so the time worked perfectly for me - another amazing game. 

The latest report on Yorkshire CCC is pretty bad - mass deletion of emails in November 2021 is really not a good look if anything ends up in legal action.

The ancien regime moving back in to take over is a worse look but we have a thread in politics for if anyone wishes to discuss that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 2 weeks later...

In our dreams, we can all field like Jonty Rhodes. In the awake world, however...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

The Hundred - it's worse than you could possibly have imagined. And I imagined its loss making was pretty bad.