Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Nobody yet, and maybe they won't, but the number of balls bowled isn't the only component of The Hundred. I'm not fixated by it being 100 balls. That can be changed to 120 if necessary to make it a Twenty20 and keep things consistent throughout the world. I'm sure a new name can be easily thought of to replace The Hundred.

What I like is the smaller number of teams, fewer matches, the draft, the quality of players it attracts, the men's/women's double headers, the fact that it's played every day in August like a major tournament would be, etc.

Can’t stand the made up teams tbh and they’re not loaded enough with star power for me to get past it.  The onscreen presentation on TV is appalling too.  

The playing format is gimmicky and the draft is not to my liking either.  It probably has though elevated the status of women’s cricket amongst the followers of the Hundred.

On the whole though I feel the ECB have been sold a dud and unless we can persuade others to play it surely it’s a failure?

In terms of shrinking the game and any influence the smaller counties had, you could probably argue it has been ‘successful’, but I don’t welcome it myself.

Edit: We probably see this one differently!  Haha

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

The match between the WI and PNG surely had one sided mismatch written all over it. Yet it wasn't a massacre at all. The T20 format is a bit of a leveler but still a good effort by PNG. 

It's a shame RL doesn't do a World Cup Nines. It would have more even contests and upset results, something too rare in full RL WC's. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

36 minutes ago, RayCee said:

The match between the WI and PNG surely had one sided mismatch written all over it. Yet it wasn't a massacre at all. The T20 format is a bit of a leveler but still a good effort by PNG. 

It's a shame RL doesn't do a World Cup Nines. It would have more even contests and upset results, something too rare in full RL WC's. 

PNG only bowled two bad overs and that is what cost them. Still i think the Windies will go a long way in this tournament.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Thought both South Africa and Sri Lanka toiled with the bat on a very slow outfield at Long Island, USA.

This forced more running between wicket and it was difficult for either side to really get themselves in.

Also, as in this year’s IPL where the KKR excelled as much because of their bowling as their efforts with bat in hand - it was the seam/spin attack in SA vs SL that stood out.

Rarely for me in the T20 format generally is that the case, but it’ll be interesting to see if the other Long Island based games follow a similar path and if so we’re going to get a few upsets I feel.

Scotland started well, 51-0 after 6.2 overs against England (Sky Sports Cricket).

Rain has stopped play in Barbados though for now. 

Nepal batting first against the Netherlands in Texas (Sky Sports Action) with a huge crowd on supporting Nepal.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Nepal batting first against the Netherlands in Texas (Sky Sports Action) with a huge crowd on supporting Nepal.

Did you ever think you'd find yourself typing that?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 02/06/2024 at 15:14, Gerrumonside ref said:

Edit: We probably see this one differently!  Haha

Perhaps, but it's all part of a much bigger debate about how cricket is going to be structured. How much test cricket, how much one day, how much T20/Hundred, and what players and teams and where are all these matches going to be played?

It's obvious to all of us that we can't have everything that we want and that choices have to be made.

I'm of the view that England needs something like The Hundred to help keep the sport in the public eye, in an age where attention spans are seemingly lower than ever, and competition from alternative options is greater than ever.

The T20 Blast in my opinion has too many teams and too many matches for a top level competition. Even the IPL only has 10 teams for a country the size of India. The Australian Big Bash has 8 teams. The USA Major League Cricket has 6 teams, although I would expect that to increase by a few.

11 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Perhaps, but it's all part of a much bigger debate about how cricket is going to be structured. How much test cricket, how much one day, how much T20/Hundred, and what players and teams and where are all these matches going to be played?

It's obvious to all of us that we can't have everything that we want and that choices have to be made.

I'm of the view that England needs something like The Hundred to help keep the sport in the public eye, in an age where attention spans are seemingly lower than ever, and competition from alternative options is greater than ever.

The T20 Blast in my opinion has too many teams and too many matches for a top level competition. Even the IPL only has 10 teams for a country the size of India. The Australian Big Bash has 8 teams. The USA Major League Cricket has 6 teams, although I would expect that to increase by a few.

Sorry, but I think the prime motivation behind the Hundred was to essentially neutralise any power the smaller counties had in a power play and to produce a new format of cricket that others would follow so the ECB could avoid its error with the intellectual property of T20.

It’s nothing to do with keeping cricket in the public eye by design.

We already had a successful short version of the game with teams from counties that had a history, tradition and rivalry that marketing money couldn’t buy.

Now we have the gimmicky crisp league that so far no other country is looking to copy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Sorry, but I think the prime motivation behind the Hundred was to essentially neutralise any power the smaller counties had in a power play and to produce a new format of cricket that others would follow so the ECB could avoid its error with the intellectual property of T20.

It’s nothing to do with keeping cricket in the public eye by design.

We already had a successful short version of the game with teams from counties that had a history, tradition and rivalry that marketing money couldn’t buy.

Now we have the gimmicky crisp league that so far no other country is looking to copy.

I don't share your negative attitude to everything about The Hundred.

I think this is a good article that only uses the word "might", so not exactly a cheerleading headline.

The Hundred 2023: Best season shows it might be on to something - BBC Sport

It talks about how if other countries are having franchise leagues, can England afford not to do likewise?

It also references The Blast and explains the problems with it - such as the difficulty of being able to televise every match given the number of them.

Anyway, I'm happy to leave it and see what happens over the next few years. I will do like everyone else and watch what I enjoy. The numbers will eventually speak for themselves, so let's see what competitions survive and what new competitions come about.

Posted (edited)

USA started well against Pakistan in Dallas in the T20 World Cuo.

Pakistan 24-2 after 4.1 overs.

Edit: Babar Azam gets away with a run out opportunity for the Americans 

Edit 2:  Pakistan just lost another now 26-3 and in trouble!

Edited by Gerrumonside ref