3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Interesting point . I often think these are the best players but are they using the best boards ? They chew up horrendously , darts fall out regularly , and very often there’s some complaint by players about them . They have to change them so regularly . I’m no expert but the BDO when it was on had inferior players but seemed to have better ‘cleaner’ boards . Don’t know , just a perception 

There was a case in point today with Williams again. Too many of his darts fell out but his opponents went in normally.

There's definitely a bit of an arms race going on. The boards are more advanced than ever but the players are making grippier and longer points, meaning they cut the board up when they're pulled out. I suspect in the old BDO days nobody put grip on the points.

16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

my throwing average is around 28- its definitely the boards fault- all the numbers are in the wrong places!

If that's per dart then that's quite impressive. If not then...

I saw on a video the other day that the worst average to ever win a game at the worlds was 55. 

With that in mind I'm signing up to Q school.

29 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Price Huybrechts game was immense. Getting to the business end now, love it.

Box Office darts. Really entertaining battle. Price looked under a lot of pressure and survived, just. That said, he’s going to need to improve further to retain his number one slot. 

Still favouring Michael Smith myself. 

Edited by Northern Eel

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

Box Office darts. Really entertaining battle. Price looked under a lot of pressure and survived, just. That said, he’s going to need to improve further to retain his number one slot. 

Still favouring Michael Smith myself. 

He won't get past Clayton for me.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

some great games and great darts on show this year but also some poor stuff with players going off the boil mid set and not finishing with the consistency needed to win the title at this level 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Price Huybrechts game was immense. Getting to the business end now, love it.

Kim had a big chance to knock him out . Late in the game Price had some poor legs but every time Huybrechts couldn’t capitalise , then Price put in a great last leg . Clayton v Smith is a cracker , Smith is a brilliant but can be flaky on the big occasion whereas Clayton has been on fire this year and if he gets through that Price holds no fears for him . I think there’s a big chance the winner comes through from those three

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Kim had a big chance to knock him out . Late in the game Price had some poor legs but every time Huybrechts couldn’t capitalise , then Price put in a great last leg . Clayton v Smith is a cracker , Smith is a brilliant but can be flaky on the big occasion whereas Clayton has been on fire this year and if he gets through that Price holds no fears for him . I think there’s a big chance the winner comes through from those three

The Price match was epic, Huybrechts had a few shots at double in that final set but couldn't finish them. Price seemed really rattled at one point, if he wasn't so good on tops he'd have lost.

Overall, I think Price is probably the best on his day but I'm not sure he's as good with the pressure of the crowd.

Going to make for an interesting week or so.

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

some great games and great darts on show this year but also some poor stuff with players going off the boil mid set and not finishing with the consistency needed to win the title at this level 

I agree, it's very hit and miss. A lot of players who've been great one game and awful the next too. 

3 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Van Gerwwn out after testing positive for Covid. 

and after sacrificing  his family xmas by staying over here for the event too- although can't find any news report about it?

Edited by graveyard johnny

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

and after sacrificing  his family xmas by staying over here for the event too- although can't find any news report about it?

From newspaper reports the Dutch players all stayed close, dined together etc. First Barney  then Van de Voort and now Van Gerwen .

Announced on Sky Sports News

Edited by Irish Saint
  • Sad 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

just watched snakebite win his game - at the end he kept his distance and didnt shake hands with the other guy obviously cos of covid THEN! went to the edge of the stage to hand darts/flights or whatever to 2 different fans/people hand to hand - WTF? this is all getting really silly now

Now Chisnall is out due to covid. I bet the PDC are starting to feel very uncomfortable, especially as he's the first non-Dutch player.

Price has already come out and said that the tournament is devalued now. I wouldn't go that far yet, but if another big name player goes out then it could be start to be argued.

You wouldn't want a Smith, Clayton, Aspinall, Humphreys etc to win it and it be forever seen as a half-tournament.

16 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Now Chisnall is out due to covid. I bet the PDC are starting to feel very uncomfortable, especially as he's the first non-Dutch player.

Price has already come out and said that the tournament is devalued now. I wouldn't go that far yet, but if another big name player goes out then it could be start to be argued.

You wouldn't want a Smith, Clayton, Aspinall, Humphreys etc to win it and it be forever seen as a half-tournament.

Yes, I agree with this - especially regards Price’s comments.

I’m disappointed that we’ve been denied the chance to see Van Gerwen again this tournament.

But I have a tenner each way on Gary Anderson (when he was at 40/1 for this a few months ago) during so it feels a little like the stars are beginning to align!  

59 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, I agree with this - especially regards Price’s comments.

I’m disappointed that we’ve been denied the chance to see Van Gerwen again this tournament.

But I have a tenner each way on Gary Anderson (when he was at 40/1 for this a few months ago) during so it feels a little like the stars are beginning to align!  

Van Gerwen going home is very disappointing but he hasn't quite been good enough this year to devalue an overall tournament, like if say Price was ruled out.

If you add in a Clayton, Wright or a Smith then it's a different matter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Another big seed falls in Jose de Sousa.

Looking forward especially to tonight’s big match between Clayton and Smith.

One the form horse of this darts season and the latter the dark horse for many of this year’s World Championship.

I like both of them. Clayton seems like a nice guy and I like how Smith plays.

I reckon Aspinall could be in trouble now. Not had a great year and a dodgy arm.

• Like 1