Regarding playing darts, I haven't been able to play as much this year and as we've moved to a nicer house the missus won't let me put a metal-tip dartboard up in the house. The problem isn't me, it's when other people come round and fancy having a go leaving holes all over the wall 😂.

I have therefore progressed to a soft-tip board, a Granboard. Whilst it feels a bit like cheating with the size of the segments, I actually really like the online play it has. Because the board registers your score, and you use the camera on your phone there is little scope for cheating. There's a real good representation on there from across the world, and actually very few Brits. Lots of Spanish, Belgians, Germans and of course Americans. I've been especially enjoying playing some of Trump's followers. Like their great leader, they aren't very good at winning 😂

I know I’m a bit of a perfectionist but my one bugbear watching the darts coverage is the number of times there’s a player at the oche actually throwing their first dart and we miss it because we’re off looking at something else like a replay or something stupid in the crowd or the other player and when we cut back theres a dart sticking in the board . It happensa lot . I like to see them all thrown and just watch the game but sky dont think its important 

There are some real quality Third Round match ups coming up this week. Has there ever been a stronger Last 32?

Looking forward to The Asp/Rock, Price/Barney, DvD/Ross Smith and the Snellen's derby of Chizzy/Bunting.

My predictions in bold! 

• Dimitri Van den Bergh v Krzysztof Ratajski
  • Nathan Aspinall v Josh Rock
  • Jonny Clayton v Brendan Dolan
  • Jim Williams v Gabriel Clemens
  • Gerwyn Price v Raymond van Barneveld
  • Peter Wright v Kim Huybrechts
  • Ryan Searle v Jose de Sousa
  • Danny Noppert v Alan Soutar
  • Gary Anderson v Chris Dobey
  • Joe Cullen v Damon Heta
  • Michael van Gerwen v Mensur Suljovic
  • Michael Smith v Martin Schindler
  • Dirk van Duijvenbode v Ross Smith
  • Rob Cross v Mervyn King
  • Dave Chisnall v Stephen Bunting
  • Luke HumphriesVincent van der Voort

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

There are some real quality Third Round match ups coming up this week. Has there ever been a stronger Last 32?

Looking forward to The Asp/Rock, Price/Barney, DvD/Ross Smith and the Snellen's derby of Chizzy/Bunting.

My predictions in bold! 

I thought RVB had retired?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

He did... sort of! However, he wasn't away long. 

Barney's back and very much rejuvenated. He's beaten Price three times recently so he's in decent form. 

He has but I'd bet my house that Price beats him this time. I don't know why but I think this time he wins and quite easy. 

33 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

He has but I'd bet my house that Price beats him this time. I don't know why but I think this time he wins and quite easy. 

Could well do as he's still quality! But Price has fallen away a bit these past few months since winning the World Series. He may have to find some form from nowhere. 

On 26/12/2022 at 13:33, Number 16 said:

My predictions in bold! 

Well the Aspinall-Rock game lived up to the hype! Feel for the Asp, his shocking doubles cost him dear.

33 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Well the Aspinall-Rock game lived up to the hype! Feel for the Asp, his shocking doubles cost him dear.

Yes , Rock was good in patches but will need to be more consistent to go deep in the competition 

• Like 1

On 27/12/2022 at 07:14, Maximus Decimus said:

Hope you bet a little bit of your house! A 4-0 spanking with Barney not in the hunt.

Some good games yesterday!

20 hours ago, RoyBoy295 said:

He had, but a costly divorce and a new 20 something year old fiancee is taking its toll on his past winnings.

think she's in early 30s and he's 56 this year - sometimes these things work out- sometimes they don't but suppose that's the same in any relationship - both grown adults - good luck to them 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 28/12/2022 at 11:55, George Watt said:

Hope you bet a little bit of your house! A 4-0 spanking with Barney not in the hunt.

Some good games yesterday!

Haha I've not long took out my world cup winnings, so lost the appetite for betting. The manner of how Barnie beat him recently (coming back from miles behind) had the air of fortune about it, that I doubted would strike again.

Been some really good games the past couple of days. The standouts that I've seen being the unexpected MVG-Sujlovic game (with the incredible 161), Clemens-Williams and now Ross Smith vs Van Duijvenbode. 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

The standard of darts now , and depth , is just incredible . This championship already must be the best and there’s lots still left 

The averages are getting crazy nowadays. You need almost mid-90s to progress to Round 3 and then more beyond. 

Oddly I reckon the really high averages are down a bit, but for good reason. The days of having the luxury of playing like in a exhibition is long gone. The pressure on even the best is immense. 

8 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Haha I've not long took out my world cup winnings, so lost the appetite for betting. The manner of how Barnie beat him recently (coming back from miles behind) had the air of fortune about it, that I doubted would strike again.

Been some really good games the past couple of days. The standouts that I've seen being the unexpected MVG-Sujlovic game (with the incredible 161), Clemens-Williams and now Ross Smith vs Van Duijvenbode. 

The Sujlovic/MVG game is my favourite so far due to the totally unexpected strong game by Sujlovic. The never to be forgotten moment came after the 161 finish which produced that look on MGV's face which then caused mirth and loss of compusure from the commentary team for a few minutes. Difficult not to laugh for me too!

On 29/12/2022 at 20:13, Number 16 said:

The averages are getting crazy nowadays. You need almost mid-90s to progress to Round 3 and then more beyond. 

Oddly I reckon the really high averages are down a bit, but for good reason. The days of having the luxury of playing like in a exhibition is long gone. The pressure on even the best is immense. 

Couple of nervy quarter-finals today.

Averages are a good indicator but that's all they are. A few things can affect your average, one of which being your opponent. If you're playing somebody who is hot on doubles, your average will be higher because you aren't spending much time missing doubles. If I played MVG, my average might be 55 without having a shot at a double, if I played a total novice my average might be 35 because I'm having to win every leg for it to end.

That said, I'm struggling to get my head around how Michael Smith just won 5-3 with an average 6 points lower than Bunting. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Price’s stunt to troll the crowd backfired.

I find it hard to warm to him due to his persona.

Well done to Clemens though who rose above the whole sideshow.

I have some sympathy for Price but he handles it so badly. I didn't think the crowd responded to him that badly tbh, but he just encourages them by the way he acts.

His over-cheering doesn't go down well, and everytime he has a go at the crowd he just fuels it next time.

He's suggested he might not play next year but the heat of the moment and all that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I have some sympathy for Price but he handles it so badly. I didn't think the crowd responded to him that badly tbh, but he just encourages them by the way he acts.

His over-cheering doesn't go down well, and everytime he has a go at the crowd he just fuels it next time.

He's suggested he might not play next year but the heat of the moment and all that.

He’s sure to be back, but he could probably benefit from speaking to a psychologist as he seems so brittle when it comes to external factors like the crowd or at least an element of the crowd.