Q school started today, although nothing is decided just yet. 

This is the bit where literally anyone can enter, and I always love looking at those people who've paid £500 but are absolutely terrible.

There was a guy in the UK today who average 45 without ever throwing at a double😳. For context, a blindfolded person could expect to get over 38.

There was a worse average in Europe (39.1) with a winning average of only 44 or so, but these two were stuck on double 1 in a number of the legs. 

• Haha 1

Well it's been smashed today, a Scandinavian player averaged 33 without ever getting to a double. That is just terrible luck!

Just to make it clear so I don't sound patronising, if I easy had £500 to spare and no work commitments I would absolutely go to Q school on the off chance of playing a top player (Barnie was there last year).

Accounting for nerves and embarrassment, I've always figured I'd probably be a disaster but I'm confident I could get more than 33! I'd just throw with my eyes shut.

• Like 1

Somw big names in Q school this year, I got to the final qualifier in the UK open once, had to win three sames at that stage to qualify for the TV stage. Won the first game quite easy with around 74 average and thought "yes ill murder this" then come upon a Scottish international who demolished me averaging around 95 and getting 5 180's in 6 legs. I only won a leg as he missed 9 darts at a double! Its hard up on that stage

• Like 3

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

6 minutes ago, Mark said:

Somw big names in Q school this year, I got to the final qualifier in the UK open once, had to win three sames at that stage to qualify for the TV stage. Won the first game quite easy with around 74 average and thought "yes ill murder this" then come upon a Scottish international who demolished me averaging around 95 and getting 5 180's in 6 legs. I only won a leg as he missed 9 darts at a double! Its hard up on that stage

That's a very good achievement.

74 averages are seen at the tv events sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niels said:

That's a very good achievement.

74 averages are seen at the tv events sometimes.

Thanks, got dartitis then and its been downhill ever since unfortunately but love my Thursday night out with the lads. Most of us ex rugby players who are too old now 

• Like 2

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Went watching my son at Q school in Wigan a few years ago, saw a host of big names and quite a few local lads from the local leagues having a go. At £500+ for a few days is a lot of cash if your not good enough. The UK Open qualifiers are a good start to see where your capabilities lie against the general darting public.

Edited by RoyBoy295
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

all the top players now OUT  of the word matchplay in Blackpool and some really poor quality stuff on show from the remaining contenders 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Come on the Ferret!!

Jonny Clayton is a proper darts player and he's got the belly to prove it.

Bradford's Joe Cullen went out in the semifinals. He is nicknamed the Rock Star but he's got a bald patch and, in over forty years, I've never seen him in a local band.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

9 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Didn't have much of a chance, very dominant performance by Aspinall!

Nathan Aspinall was absolutely brilliant.

However, being thin, having a very pretty partner and playing darts is thoroughly unsportsmanlike.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 24/07/2023 at 08:09, Wolford6 said:

Nathan Aspinall was absolutely brilliant.

However, being thin, having a very pretty partner and playing darts is thoroughly unsportsmanlike.

Haha, I've actually seem him in real-life and use his darts (although he's upgraded) so he's one of my favoured players.

From memory he was a really good goalkeeper, before being dropped. 

• 7 months later...

just watching the premier league and a fair few other tournaments lately- Wayne Mardle  needs booting from the commentary team - just states the obvious and changes his tune as the matches go along 

20 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

just watching the premier league and a fair few other tournaments lately- Wayne Mardle  needs booting from the commentary team - just states the obvious and changes his tune as the matches go along 

He’s pretty irritating no doubt 

• Like 1

anyone think luke littler could spend another second or 2 on each throw and maybe use a little coaching from someone like phil taylor? hes raw talent at the min but all the visits to the board seem rushed to the point of  erratic 

7 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

anyone think luke littler could spend another second or 2 on each throw and maybe use a little coaching from someone like phil taylor? hes raw talent at the min but all the visits to the board seem rushed to the point of  erratic 

Tbh with you no. Its a tough one. MVG slowed down slightly from 20 ish onwards and never looked back. Yet players like Michael Smith are speed and rhythm and almost nit related to form if that makes any sense at all. He's what I'd call an accurate thrower. Like Wright but faster. For me he needs to keep throwing as he is doing. 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

On 02/03/2024 at 01:43, Mumby Magic said:

Tbh with you no. Its a tough one. MVG slowed down slightly from 20 ish onwards and never looked back. Yet players like Michael Smith are speed and rhythm and almost nit related to form if that makes any sense at all. He's what I'd call an accurate thrower. Like Wright but faster. For me he needs to keep throwing as he is doing. 

Littler is still averaging over 100 pretty much all the time.

He tried to slow down the other week and it failed miserable. For someone who has played since such a young age, he should probably trust his rhythm without over-complicating it.

• Like 1