Interesting news for wakey's 3 teams

tms

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Castleford Tigers would use this investment to help towards funding a major redevelopment of Wheldon Road to bring the club’s famous home up to modern standards. Subject to securing the investment necessary, key elements of the club’s proposals would be to demolish and rebuild a new Main Stand, and modernise the existing Princess Street Stand, Railway End and Wheldon Road End.

'A rich mix of new facilities, including food and drink outlets and hospitality suites would enhance the matchday experience for fans, while new conference facilities and meeting rooms would boost non-matchday income, and enable the club to further enhance its work within the community.'

https://castlefordtigers.com/article.php?id=7758

Sounds really promising - non-matchday revenue is absolutely essential these days - but surely all this would cost more than £2m. So, where is the rest coming from? Perhaps the mystery investment?

Is it viable for them to stay there now, im sure there was something in the factory nearby that said they couldn't build on that site.

Also, its been a while since I've been there,  do they potentially have the room (forget the money for a moment) space to develop all four sides of the ground, and put a full size pitch in?

36 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Good. 

By the way, how has the council managed to find so much cash down the back of the sofa for RL all of a sudden? 

Are you joking?

They have gotten away lightly, they should be investing ten times that, the now defunct NM scheme alone was worth 40 million (200 million if not more in it's entirety), which the council let slip through their hands due to gross incompetence.

The money one way or another is coming from developers by way of you scratch my back deals. Wakefield BV alone is getting 8 million but nearly all that is from the developer of NM who needs the final plot 8 which was earmarked for the stadium to make really big bucks. 8 million might sound a lot but it's nothing compared to what they should have spent on a new stadium as per the Section 106 agreement 2012.

Similar will apply to Axion who will need council support ay Glasshoughton.

Lets not kid ourselves, a lot of people have made a huge amount of money out of Wakefield extensive land bank but at last we have a new council leader with the will to get something back, but it's still effectively a defeat for the ratepayers, who no matter which club they support, should have received far more. The councils 6 million will be in the above somewhere,

Still I suppose it takes is off the bottom as the MDC with the worst record in England for sports provision, tells you all you need to know about local politics.

I think most of us welcome this news as it does finally appear the start of redevelopment is almost tangible for both clubs. That said, the questions people have about what will they get done for 2 mil? When will it be completed? are completely fair and i'd hope Cas especially set this out in detail sooner rather than later.

21 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Your ignorance is on show for all to see.

The bit in bold is truly amusing. There was nothing noble in what HKR did, there was no great plan and there were no great sacrifices. HKR didn't play in SL for most of the last 25 years because your teams were rubbish! But you kid yourself old lad whilst I chuckle away.

Nonsense pal. Arbitrary mid-nineties cut off creating an almost-closed club with huge additional revenues, that you blew on short term averageness. The only delusion here is the small West Yorkshire clubs’ fans who lack self-awareness. Keeps you happy I suppose 😂

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

12 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

If Cas are now to stay at Wheldon Road, I for one would welcome it. If the MDC are willing enough to slope £2million to each of the 3 clubs, and the Junction 32 developers are keen for a quick and easy repurposing of the site without a rugby ground, then the planning permissions for a new Wheldon Road will get nodded through tout suite.

Maybe when all this is over, Cas will be one of the clubs in a better position to plan for their future. A ground they own and don't lease/pay rent for and land they own and can make revenue from. 

Depends if Lateral can get any businesses to buy in to a "high-quality employment and commercial development." The didn't have much success with 'high quality' retailers and there isn't exactly a shortage of such sites along the M62 and surrounding areas.

Also, anyone know what the situation is re land use; I know the Gov approved the retail park but would a change of intended use require a reassessment?

21 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Earlier wind-ups aside, this is definitely the right way to go. You can do a reasonable amount with £2m and what a rugby league ground needs is the right mix of ‘traditional’ terracing for the long-standing hard core alongside some modern, seated facilities that incorporate Exec boxes and ideally a restaurant “pay by seat” option with a view of the pitch.

Just one facility like that can be transformative on its own, even if the rest of the ground only gets a lick of paint. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Wakey hoping to have their swanky new grandstand open by July 2023. https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/wakefield-trinity-belle-vue-stadium-22260883?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email

Commendable target date but if it is open by then I'll change my name by deed poll to Neil Fox.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Wakey hoping to have their swanky new grandstand open by July 2023. https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/wakefield-trinity-belle-vue-stadium-22260883?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email

Commendable target date but if it is open by then I'll change my name by deed poll to Neil Fox.

Bookmarked, saved, noted!

1 minute ago, dboy said:

Bookmarked, saved, noted!

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Do what you like, you're a nobody.

32 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I'm sure it will happen, Mr Pouch, but it hasn't even got planning consent. Twenty months from now to opening is stretching credibility to breaking point.

So if it gets planning permission this December, due date to start is Feb. You do realise it's only one stand a a re-vamp of another. The East stand has a build time of 8 month. This is 2021, whole stadiums gey built in less than 20 month, give your head a shake.

Just now, Kirmonds pouch said:

So if it gets planning permission this December, due date to start is Feb. You do realise it's only one stand a a re-vamp of another. The East stand has a build time of 8 month. This is 2021, whole stadiums gey built in less than 20 month, give your head a shake.

I admire your optimism....

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

IF it gets started in February, I see no reason why 16 months later it will not have been finished. 

On 16/11/2021 at 22:27, ShropshireBull said:

Well you only have one team and dont want to protect the french teams to make that happen.  Fev would put more into Wakefield but that wouldnt grow the game.  

Wakey's lack of commercial income is the reason for its 'we need away fans' regionalist approach.  As the clubs starts to gain money from other revenue streams it may start to see the positives that French games at Wakefield can bring and be less dependent on the fortunes of other clubs for its success.  I will say no more. 

48 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I admire your optimism....

Excellent admiration get ready to be admired

On 23/11/2021 at 15:48, Kirmonds pouch said:

Barry Badrinath

You do realise there is a second pitch right next to the ground that Cas own, it's one of the least land locked old grounds out there.

Based on this,  practice pitch and parking on one side,  road to the north, terraced housing to the west, and some parking and the railway line to the south.

They would be looking at rotating it and for best usage, depending on the scale they would go for.

Wheldon Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/jZd43ERKnw3G7RFh7

6 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Earlier wind-ups aside, this is definitely the right way to go. You can do a reasonable amount with £2m and what a rugby league ground needs is the right mix of ‘traditional’ terracing for the long-standing hard core alongside some modern, seated facilities that incorporate Exec boxes and ideally a restaurant “pay by seat” option with a view of the pitch.

Just one facility like that can be transformative on its own, even if the rest of the ground only gets a lick of paint. 

I think you'll find that you can't actually do a great deal with £2m. Didn't your North Stand, the sort of thing Cas would need, cost over £8m?

Archived