Things you were into before they became popular

Remember when you were young, and your dad derided the music you liked?

4i0rxt.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Prosecco, pretentious? It's hen party fuel.

Enjoyed by the cliteratti. 

They've taken less than ordinary sheeite sparkling white. Thrown zillions of pounds marketing a crapola product and convincing folks that it's posh .... or special.

As Goosey says earlier, those that love it have always loved it despite it not being widely available on supermarket shelves until early years of this century.

What then irritates even more is if I'm seen enjoying a white sparkler I've brought back from Catherine Derouay in Vouvray and someone asks.... "is that p-sec love"?

I rarely contain myself when asked.

13 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

They've taken less than ordinary sheeite sparkling white. Thrown zillions of pounds marketing a crapola product and convincing folks that it's posh .... or special.

As Goosey says earlier, those that love it have always loved it despite it not being widely available on supermarket shelves until early years of this century.

What then irritates even more is if I'm seen enjoying a white sparkler I've brought back from Catherine Derouay in Vouvray and someone asks.... "is that p-sec love"?

Spot on. It's not that the Prosecco is pretentious, it's that these people that act above their station, such as women at a hen do for example like to think they are sophisticated and know about wine and so when ordering their drinks they order the wine they have heard of so as not to look unknowledgeable in front of their friends and one they can afford seen as they can't stretch to champagne. Maybe they think because it is a sparkling white wine it is basically like having champagne without the cost which highlights the point I make about them liking to think they know about something far more sophisticated than themselves. 

Edit. You've hit on another point there which I don't think has been mentioned. Essentially how groups of people take something and manage to damage its reputation. 

I just remembered when I last went to Sheffield on the train. There was a group of teenagers sat behind me and one of them said he loved Harry Potter, absolutely obsessed, one of the biggest fans in the world with the way he was going on. After earwigging for a bit it was revealed that he was basically a huge fan of the films because he admitted to having only read the first book. 

I'm sorry but he cannot claim to be one of the biggest fans of something if he hasn't read the source material. If he actually clarified he was a fan of the films then that's okay but don't say you are a fan of the entire fictional universe. 

Lord of the Rings is another example. I've known people that are absolutely obsessed with the films but have never read the books and have even had heated discussions about things that happen because I am referencing the books (you know the most accurate and original source of information) and they are referencing the films. What usually happens is when these people are getting really defensive and it's just become a full blown argument, they realise in themselves that they are wrong because there is so much info in the books that isn't in the films (of course they don't admit they are wrong) and they end the discussion there and then by clarifying that they were talking about what happens in the films, something they should have done at the start of the half hour argument. 

On 20/11/2021 at 09:03, Robin Evans said:

Waistcoats. I've worn them for years. Then that upstart that manages the England footy team starts poncing about in them and suddenly everyone's got them on.....

I have to echo John's earlier comments. Rugby League might as we be played on Mars with the interest it has amongst folk here in Rovrum. 

Grandad 😂

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I actually like Gin but I hear what you are saying. One of the best G&T's is a straightforward Gordons and Schweppes Tonic. Some people seem to believe you have to get exotic gin and a tonic that costs £25 for a tiny bottle.

Exactly , if I want to drink gin , I want it to taste like gin , not melon,rosewater,orange or anything else 

Conversely, I used to dislike gin because the only type I'd ever tasted was Gordons, which has a strong and very particular flavour. Trying other traditional brand like Plymouth and Bols changed my mind.

With supermarket own brand tonic, which I prefer to Schweppes, and not just because it is half the price.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Conversely, I used to dislike gin because the only type I'd ever tasted was Gordons, which has a strong and very particular flavour. Trying other traditional brand like Plymouth and Bols changed my mind.

With supermarket own brand tonic, which I prefer to Schweppes, and not just because it is half the price.

I'm waiting til fat n ginger becomes in vogue. I'll be feightin em off wi a sh itty stick😊

lou reed and iggy pop - had a fair bit of their stuff on vinyl and enjoyed listening to it- hey presto the film "trainspotting" comes out in the 90s and they are catapulted in to the mainstream 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

33 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Certain gins work better with certain tonics for sure. 

I'm probably a pee artist as I tend to like most of them if I'm honest. Even the poncey ones. 

Somebody mentioned beards earlier and it's true that the only people who used to have beards were Real Ale/Folk enthusiasts or Geography teachers. 

They're not for me but I imagine tattoo enthusiasts might feel the same about how mainstream they are now. Even Prince Charles has a sleeve these days. 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

lou reed and iggy pop - had a fair bit of their stuff on vinyl and enjoyed listening to it- hey presto the film "trainspotting" comes out in the 90s and they are catapulted in to the mainstream 

Apart from Lou Reed having a massive hit in 1972?

He was a bit of a cult character by then I will give you that though. 

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

The emergence of Prosecco is a good thing. It is quite unusual in that a cheap alternative has become fashionable and that should be welcomed. In many cases it tastes nicer than champagne, and is a fraction of the price. 

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Apart from Lou Reed having a massive hit in 1972?

He was a bit of a cult character by then I will give you that though. 

just scraping the top10 with one song in 1973 - hardly mainstream superstardom 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

just scraping the top10 with one song in 1973 - hardly mainstream superstardom 

Hardly unknown though - and this was when a hit single made you famous. 

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The Gin thing really does my head in. Gin was always stereotypically an old ladies drink and then hipsters discovered it and suddenly anyone who is the slightest bit pretentious and above their station started to think it was this new wonder drink. Essentially one of the most boring, unglamorous drinks became the most fashionable. I've known people who would have a glass of wine or a beer suddenly claim they were the biggest fan of gin and had always drunk it despite me never having heard or seen them drink or even mention the stuff before. 

I have to take responsibility for this. I was house sitting for my parents about 10 years ago and they had a bottle of Gordon's gin in the back of the cupboard. I tried it and thought it wasn't half bad actually. Then everybody starting banging on about gin.

8 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

was gin not invented because water was too dirty to drink?

It was beer that was drunk instead of water as it was safer.

Gin was just cheaper and you could get off your t!ts for half a groat. #goodtimes 

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The emergence of Prosecco is a good thing. It is quite unusual in that a cheap alternative has become fashionable and that should be welcomed. In many cases it tastes nicer than champagne, and is a fraction of the price. 

In many cases????

I'm not a huge lover of sparkles. They have their place on a warm summers day in the garden, but I do prefer a chenin blanc from vouvray to the three grape mix from Marne.

I much happier drinking and discussing reds rather than whites. However, I can't ever imagine a Prosecco getting anywhere close to the taste, nose, quality and enjoyment that a Vouvray or sparkles from Reims or Épernay. Certainly my experiences they don't.

Just my opinion. As you attest, other opinions are available.

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

R&B has been used to describe the music that old people think sounds the same and why don't they have any talent these days since at least the early 90s - cos that's how they stocked it in Our Price.

That's at least 30 years.

So, y'know, that battle is lost.

Mind you, sometimes I hear people telling me that what they've just heard on Radio 3 is classical music. And I say, no darling, that was definitely baroque.

A great era musically.  I could play it all day.....baroque around the clock!

Prosecco trailed Cava into the market for affordable bubbles that tasted nicer than Lambrini or Asti Spumante. Now Prosecco's success means that supermarkets are encouraged to stock the occasional Cremant or Blanquette. This is a good thing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Prosecco trailed Cava into the market for affordable bubbles that tasted nicer than Lambrini or Asti Spumante. Now Prosecco's success means that supermarkets are encouraged to stock the occasional Cremant or Blanquette. This is a good thing.

I think it was Cider Wire, on a page in these fora, who introduced me to Blaquette de Limoux.  I get the occasional bottle of it from Tesco's and I like it.  It is good to support the product of a great RL centre too.

31 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

In many cases????

I'm not a huge lover of sparkles. They have their place on a warm summers day in the garden, but I do prefer a chenin blanc from vouvray to the three grape mix from Marne.

I much happier drinking and discussing reds rather than whites. However, I can't ever imagine a Prosecco getting anywhere close to the taste, nose, quality and enjoyment that a Vouvray or sparkles from Reims or Épernay. Certainly my experiences they don't.

Just my opinion. As you attest, other opinions are available.

Snob 

Archived