Back to the future

WATERSHEDDINGS_ORLFC_1972

Moorside mate, the central funding issue should have no bearing as to what happens on the pitch. It's not just Oldham that have had their central funding cut, everybody has. We are all in the same boat.

38 minutes ago, Fluffybed said:

Moorside mate, the central funding issue should have no bearing as to what happens on the pitch. It's not just Oldham that have had their central funding cut, everybody has. We are all in the same boat.

I was looking at it from an Oldham point of view as it's an Oldham forum. Yes we're all in the same boat ,the games knackered.👍 Sky's shown us what we're worth to them.

moorside roughyed agree the game is knackered the RL sat back and relied on SKY funding for 25 Years. Not progressing much, throwing good money after good money at these failed projects out of the traditional rugby league areas. They should of been putting resources into traditional RL areas, this is why clubs are struggling outside Super League, under investing in RL traditional Areas. I would say they have created the situation they are in and are reaping what they have sown.

4 hours ago, jroyales said:

Agreeing that the state of RL is in a perilous state, I look back at how RU was a lot worse off than RL. So the question I'm posing is how did they turn it round, with what is a poorer product, into the phenomenal success it is now.

They were amateur, they became professional and took all the experienced coaches and players from RL. 

Whilst all is not ‘rosey in the garden’ in the world of RL, I think calls of the game being knackered are wide of the mark.

There’s the World Cup in 2022, with all men’s, women’s and wheelchair games being covered by the BBC, with games played at St. James’ Park, The Emirates, Old Trafford etc.

Channel 4 have announced they’ll be showing 10 Super League games in 2022/23 free-to-air for the first time and Premier Sports covering Championship games for 2022. With Sky’s coverage of the Championship play-offs and final, I can’t think of many other sports, bar soccer, that have that much coverage for their top and second tiers. It all adds up to a lot greater exposure which should benefit the sport as a whole. 

The reduced funding for next season is a big issue, especially for League 1 clubs, however it’s now up to the likes of Oldham to stop licking their wounds and go get promotion!

*puts tin hat on*

How can 12 Clubs dictate the finances of the whole of the RL.

Widnes, Featherstone, Halifax, Bradford Bulls, Oldham Bears, Leigh, all used to be power houses of Rugby League. Look at them now Championship and League One yoyo clubs. This is what power of few do to so many. Reform RL competitions so that they create equal wealth. The Rugby Football League is dictated to by Super League and TV rights. Time to change the equilibrium.

18 hours ago, WATERSHEDDINGS_ORLFC_1972 said:

How can 12 Clubs dictate the finances of the whole of the RL.

Widnes, Featherstone, Halifax, Bradford Bulls, Oldham Bears, Leigh, all used to be power houses of Rugby League. Look at them now Championship and League One yoyo clubs. This is what power of few do to so many. Reform RL competitions so that they create equal wealth. The Rugby Football League is dictated to by Super League and TV rights. Time to change the equilibrium.

Correct.....so where do we start?

We have a new start in 2023. Rebalance the teams in just two leagues. There 25 teams I believe plus 12 in Super League.

You would have The Premier League 1 and The Premier League 2. 

18 teams in Premier League 1

19 Teams in Premier League 2

3 teams in each division get promoted and relegated.

The bottom teams in League 2 have to play off against the best Amateur teams in the land so they have a chance of playing at pro level.

60% of finances go to Premier League 1

50 % finances go to Premier League 2

There would be more match revenue for every team, plus you could throw in a couple of high quality cup matches in.

Bring back the Lancashire & Yorkshire Cup Battles, they were epic. The extra cup matches would generate cash for all clubs and not just a few. The RL needs reform lets do it.

Archived