Toulouse

daz39

So with the fixtures not too far away and the planning to start i was wanting some advice on Toulouse having never been before, obviously it's bigger than Perpignan so has anyone got any advice on areas to stay, places to eat or drink, areas of the city to avoid etc etc?.

In Perpignan we have our regular bars and restaurants but none of us have experienced Toulouse.

BTW we aren't the type to sit in the main square singing anti-anyone-not-british songs while tanked up on Carling with our shirts off and arms outspread chucking chairs about so please rule that option out!.

We do like to sit and behave in squares with nice bars and chat with the locals etc,.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

So with the fixtures not too far away and the planning to start i was wanting some advice on Toulouse having never been before, obviously it's bigger than Perpignan so has anyone got any advice on areas to stay, places to eat or drink, areas of the city to avoid etc etc?.

In Perpignan we have our regular bars and restaurants but none of us have experienced Toulouse.

BTW we aren't the type to sit in the main square singing anti-anyone-not-british songs while tanked up on Carling with our shirts off and arms outspread chucking chairs about so please rule that option out!.

We do like to sit and behave in squares with nice bars and chat with the locals etc,.

Give over Daz, I bet you were in Charleroi in front of the water cannons during Euro 2004. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Give over Daz, I bet you were in Charleroi in front of the water cannons during Euro 2004. 

Not a chance, never been anywhere near an England football game and never will !!

I'm too old and fat for that lark anyhow...

I’ve spent a lot of time in the nearby Pyrenees but not a great deal in Toulouse itself other than flying in and out. The airport is nice as airports go! However I have eaten a few times in and around the main square, Place du Capitole, and it is a nice area. You can definitely soak up the culture there. Not been for a few years but Stade Toulousain, the Union club, were omni present dwarfing even the football team. It would be interesting to see if the League team had broken through in anyway, either down to their relative success or with their link up with the Union club. 
I hope they can bring something different to the city.

10 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

I’ve spent a lot of time in the nearby Pyrenees but not a great deal in Toulouse itself other than flying in and out. The airport is nice as airports go! However I have eaten a few times in and around the main square, Place du Capitole, and it is a nice area. You can definitely soak up the culture there. Not been for a few years but Stade Toulousain, the Union club, were omni present dwarfing even the football team. It would be interesting to see if the League team had broken through in anyway, either down to their relative success or with their link up with the Union club. 
I hope they can bring something different to the city.

Oh and on rereading your question…the city centre itself is ok as is down by the Garonne.
I stayed with a friend one time in Empalot though and it made Birkenhead seem upmarket! I don’t think it is a tourist area but would avoid it if it comes up on any hotel searches! 

They are at a different stadium to the one when we played them. We were out of town but the bus tram train system is immense. The usual guide a beer is approx 6 euro. I'd stay in the same hotel again and travel in. Plus there was an Aldi nearby. Also for the game get there early. The atmosphere is great.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yep, Embrace that French culture....

Was thinking more of a local culture myself rather than a typical English one, though the breaakfast is something many in our group would welcome as they don't see the point in ham and cheese!!!! very cultured

2 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Was thinking more of a local culture myself rather than a typical English one, though the breaakfast is something many in our group would welcome as they don't see the point in ham and cheese!!!! very cultured

Who's your team by the way?

Melting Pot seemed to be the meeting point for Championship fans - plenty 'Irish' bars and restaurants especially around the square. The place is a steak and red wine city, Veggies and vegans are publicly hanged. Be careful you dont wander too far at night, some proper dodgy areas and the sunday market in the Muslim area is to behold.

30 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Veggies and vegans are publicly hanged.

http://www.lafaimdesharicots.fr/

Before they do, they eat in this rather nice veggie restaurant in the city centre which I enjoyed on my visit.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Why was it embarrassing? Did the fans misbehave, IIRC we won 2-0.

Yeah just full of p155ed imbeciles thinking they owned the place. I went to one of the NI games at the Euros in France and it couldn’t have been more different, party atmosphere (as it should be). 

4 hours ago, daz39 said:

Victor Hugo market is a must. 5 or 6 "restaurants" upstairs serve a variety of food from the market below.  Get there at 12 to ensure a seat as it's popular with locals as well as tourists. Have a glass of wine at the market before eating to soak up the atmosphere. 

Use the tram from the airport instead of a taxi. The trams are on time, clean and cheap. 

Lots of small restaurants off the centre which serve good food but you'll need a full wallet! 

Visit the Algerian market on Sunday if you've time. Stroll down the river at night and sit out with the locals.

Jealous that can't see Fev or the Knights playing there this year.

Anywhere north of Palais du Justice, up through the area called Carmes and onto Capitol.  Lots of nice little bistro/bars, and as it's a big Uni city it's full of bright young things having a chill time. No1 son lives just around the corner from the Black Lion at Palais du Justice (the tram from the airport has a stop directly outside), No3 son just off of Capitol around the corner from the George and Dragon. Both areas super nice.  Cafés around the actual Place du Capitol nice to sit in and watch the world go by but a tad on the expensive side (there's always McD though!) . There are some great little "curry" houses as well around and about, all you can eat buffet meals for 15€, very basic but good food. 

On 21/11/2021 at 12:36, daz39 said:

When you come To toulouse, let me know and i will tell you what To do. 

7 minutes ago, PECETTO said:

When you come To toulouse, let me know and i will tell you what To do. 

Don't drive in unless with care via Montauban !

Active speed cameras.

My  'Notification ' when Swinton ( yes ) turned them over is now proudly framed on my wall.......

On 21/11/2021 at 11:36, daz39 said:

In one corner of the Place du Capitole there is an ice cream place called Amorino. They do fantastic cones sculpted to look like flowers. Definitely not to be missed! As a Fev supporter I have been several times and stayed at Hotel le Capitole which is well situated, near to9 the area where most reasonably behaved supporters tend to meet and near to there is a direct bus to the stadium (and, yes, I do mean their new stadium). Personally I prefer Perpignan but there is nevertheless plenty of interest in Toulouse.

I would take Pecetto’s advice as local knowledge is the difference between wasted time and a good time.  

If you could stopover, it would be worthwhile taking a train to Carca.  

On 21/11/2021 at 16:37, Eddie said:

Yeah just full of p155ed imbeciles thinking they owned the place. I went to one of the NI games at the Euros in France and it couldn’t have been more different, party atmosphere (as it should be). 

Yeah I mean if I wanted an atmosphere like that.....I could just go to the Challenge Cup Final.

Did Toulouse semi final , cracking place Toulouse. Booked our trip for next season. Already along with our Catalan trip. March 5th and March 12. 

Melting is the main bar, pub o’clock across the road to but don’t have sky. a new one just around the corner from the melting pot is the seven sisters. Ran by a English lad from Crawley. Peroni on tap is only €5. Did a walking tour of Toulouse to all the English and Irish bars some blinders. 

melting pot
pub o’clock
seven sisters

frog and rosbif bar and microbrewery

George&dragon

Hopscotch pub and brewery 

The four monkeys 

The London Town 

Archived