Is the WCC back on ?

Davo5

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love it to be back on and I must admit I think it does more for SL for the games to be played down under - it actually gets a reasonable amount of attention for a start. The bit in the article about how SL funds NRL teams to play in it when in the UK was interesting - I was never aware of that and would be intrigued to know what the outlay is to do so. Surely the money SL spend to bring NRL sides up her could be given to Saints to travel there? 

Edit: just re-read and noticed it's the club not SL who funds it. Makes more sense now. 

Play it if possible. Definitely. Forget the petty nature of the NRL and some of the clubs. Theres plenty of benefits for Saints win or lose.

Always love the WCC.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

We haven’t heard anything about the game nor discussed it with anybody, but to be fair you wouldn’t be going over there anyway at the moment because of the COVID risk,”

The lack of self-awareness is palpable. Unwilling to travel for a game in January when the Australian RU mob are here in the UK right now

Anybody still confident that these hypocrites will definitely come for the World Cup?

Its infuriating that every year the English game and the English club involved always have to move heaven and earth to get this game played. They have to take on all the risk, beg the Aussies to play, play it when suits the Aussies and play it at a time when the Aussies decide. Just like the farce every year when it comes to internationals and World Cups.

To be fair to the Aussies, I don't think it's unreasonable in principle to expect us to travel for the match on some occasions rather than them always coming here.

But the tone of the comments give me no confidence for the World Cup next year, despite our meaningless 'legally binding' assurances.

33 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

To be fair to the Aussies, I don't think it's unreasonable in principle to expect us to travel for the match on some occasions rather than them always coming here.

But the tone of the comments give me no confidence for the World Cup next year, despite our meaningless 'legally binding' assurances.

I think we've got a way to go controlling Covid risk to be 'sure' of them arriving, signed assurances or not.  England have been sleepwalking towards more lockdowns for months.

37 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

We nearly always have this little dance where it is strongly suggested the Aussies are interested in hosting but then someone realises it would involve booking plane tickets, finding a hotel, y'know, doing some work, and they get bored and so it is hurriedly moved to being in England.

We're just a couple of months later than usual this time around.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

The lack of self-awareness is palpable. Unwilling to travel for a game in January when the Australian RU mob are here in the UK right now

Anybody still confident that these hypocrites will definitely come for the World Cup?

not me, that's for sure.

I don't think Penrith will be interested in playing it if they have to put their hand in their pockets to accommodate St Helens.

I think it would likely be a choice of St Helens paying for themselves, or finding a title sponsor to essentially do so. Shouldn't have to be that way, but sadly I think thats where we are with the Aussies at the moment.

Maybe St Helens would look at it as an opportunity to have their pre-season over in Australia, and maybe play a couple of NSW cup sides as well. A long way to go for such a thing, but I do think there would be plenty of positives available for Saints.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, Chris22 said:

But SL pay the Aussies around £300,000 to £400,000 cover their expenses when they come over here.

When SL clubs go over there they don't get any help from the NRL.

Its always a one way street.

Saying that Penrith arnt that good of a team and Saints could beat them if they are all on their A game - hope Saints can get some commercial help and go over- love the WCC

17 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

But SL pay the Aussies around £300,000 to £400,000 cover their expenses when they come over here.

When SL clubs go over there they don't get any help from the NRL.

Its always a one way street.

Saying that Penrith arnt that good of a team and Saints could beat them if they are all on their A game - hope Saints can get some commercial help and go over- love the WCC

When did Penrith become a poor team,must have missed that.

3 hours ago, Chris22 said:

There are many occasions when the English club has wanted to play it in Australia and have been told no. The lack of these matches being held in Australia certainly isn't because of a lack of trying.

29 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

they haven't but some of their stars of the last 2 seasons have moved on and theres been a bit of turmoil in the camp concerning the antics of others - however should the game go ahead i would expect them to still be very very strong 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

40 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I never said poor - I said not that good..... and thats as far as past NRL champions go - as I said Saints would need to be at their best to beat them but they are beatable- if you think that means poor that's up to you.

38 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I never said poor - I said not that good..... and thats as far as past NRL champions go - as I said Saints would need to be at their best to beat them but they are beatable- if you think that means poor that's up to you.

All things being equal I reckon Penrith would win by circa 20 points.

7 hours ago, Damien said:

The Aussies just click their fingers as usual and want everything their own way to suit them.

It seems to me that it's you lot whom are the ones that click your fingers and expect the NRL/Australian RL to appear with bells on... I mean this thread is dominated by people demanding that an NRL club drop everything and travel to the other side of the world to play a glorified exhibition game because it's in your (English RL's) interest.

That's entitlement on a level that is astounding.

I know Wigan are a far bigger draw than Saints, but we got a very good crowd for our Roosters game, and decent crowds when we had our mini tour there. We lost some money, but we perceived some wider benefits. If Saints back themselves, then they should go. 

7 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

The ARU rule over a dying sport and needs every cent it can get just to survive, and the Wallabies are the only product that makes them money anymore. In other words the ARU is reliant on international competition just to survive.

The NRL on the other hand is not so desperate.

Would the EPL go out of their to play games in Australia just because it'd benefit soccer in Australia? Of course not, so why would you expect the inverse from the NRL?

Archived