Is the WCC back on ?

Davo5

7 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

The funding point is surely an issue - the UK club pays for the travel because they then get to stage the game.

In the other direction, will the NRL club underwrite costs from gate receipts?  They should.

Here's hoping it happens.

Why would they?

You're the ones that want the game to go ahead.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

It seems to me that it's you lot whom are the ones that click your fingers and expect the NRL/Australian RL to appear with bells on... I mean this thread is dominated by people demanding that an NRL club drop everything and travel to the other side of the world to play a glorified exhibition game because it's in your (English RL's) interest.

That's entitlement on a level that is astounding.

What's more astounding is the lengths you go to to create strawman arguments.

No one has actually said any of that drivel.

6 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Why would they?

You're the ones that want the game to go ahead.

You don't think it is reasonable for the team hosting the game, and collecting the gate receipts, to finance the visiting team?

Surely if it is done bi-directionally, and consistently, it is fair.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Penrith were the first club in the queue to destroy this year’s World Cup, so there was never any chance of their coming over here.

The ball was always in Saints’ court because the NRL winner this year was off the scale even among the other blinkered parochial cowards. South’s would have come over here no worries… 

29 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

The ARU rule over a dying sport and needs every cent it can get just to survive, and the Wallabies are the only product that makes them money anymore. In other words the ARU is reliant on international competition just to survive.

The NRL on the other hand is not so desperate.

Would the EPL go out of their to play games in Australia just because it'd benefit soccer in Australia? Of course not, so why would you expect the inverse from the NRL?

I thought the game was staged to see who is the best RL team on the planet! - not sure its ever about helping out SL.

10 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Penrith were the first club in the queue to destroy this year’s World Cup, so there was never any chance of their coming over here.

The ball was always in Saints’ court because the NRL winner this year was off the scale even among the other blinkered parochial cowards. South’s would have come over here no worries… 

Also Penrith just can't beat a SL team - running scared??

49 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Also Penrith just can't beat a SL team - running scared??

A bit of baiting mightn`t be a bad idea, the journalist already hinted it by saying the bookies might have St. Helens as favourite. That would have raised a few eyebrows over here.

A few well timed press releases from the RFL or St. Helens about `how many GF`s have Penrith won` or `you`re not best the club in the world until you`ve beaten us` might spur Penrith into action. There`s plenty of ammunition -  Penrith (1967) were still in nappies when Saints (1873) were winning competitions.

Why not, the NRL don`t mind playing dirty, stuff this being reasonable business.

21 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

The funding point is surely an issue - the UK club pays for the travel because they then get to stage the game.

In the other direction, will the NRL club underwrite costs from gate receipts?  They should.

Here's hoping it happens.

Give Saints the same generous expenses that the NRL clubs get when the come here and it's sorted

22 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

It seems to me that it's you lot whom are the ones that click your fingers and expect the NRL/Australian RL to appear with bells on... I mean this thread is dominated by people demanding that an NRL club drop everything and travel to the other side of the world to play a glorified exhibition game because it's in your (English RL's) interest.

It's really not

The point I was making in my earlier post was the way that the guy from Penrith simply discounted the notion of travelling beyond the hallowed borders of Australia. Especially when Australia sent a team to the Olympics, the RU team is here NOW, and I assume they are going to the Winter Olympics.

I mean if Penrith think it's just 'a glorified exhibition game' and they can't be ar*ed then just be honest and say so. I'd be OK with that.

It's the blatant hypocrisy from the Aussies that grates.

It's pretty depressing that after 30 odd years we are still in this will it be on or won't it every single year. The WCC should be one of the games pinnacle events but just like the international game incompetence and apathy have seen it just trundle on from one year to the next.

It really should not be difficult to have a set date every year and for it to alternate between England and Australia every year. Both governing bodies should play a much greater role (I'm being diplomatic) when it comes to funding and promoting the event. Teams either compete or get some of their funding withheld. Take it out of the clubs hands just like other finals and use a portion of the respective TV deal to fund and underwrite it, although in reality it should always fund itself,  and have a big prize so that teams want to compete.

On 23/11/2021 at 00:51, Damien said:

There are many occasions when the English club has wanted to play it in Australia and have been told no. The lack of these matches being held in Australia certainly isn't because of a lack of trying.

Have they been told “no” because the demand is that the hosting NRL club pays for them? 

I think the difficulty of hosting this match anywhere is because the Aussies see it for what it is… a pre-season exhibition with no real tangible reward.

Give it a $2m dollar prize with $1m for the winning club and $1m to be shared by the 17 players of the winning team, you will see the clubs and players and in turn the fans, take this game more seriously.

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Have they been told “no” because the demand is that the hosting NRL club pays for them? 

I think the difficulty of hosting this match anywhere is because the Aussies see it for what it is… a pre-season exhibition with no real tangible reward.

Give it a $2m dollar prize with $1m for the winning club and $1m to be shared by the 17 players of the winning team, you will see the clubs and players and in turn the fans, take this game more seriously.

Chicken and egg.

Talk it up and people will be willing to fund it through sponsorship, turn up in numbers and generate revenue, then these sorts of rewards will be available.

Problem is, some expect someone to just pop up out of no where and offer this reward when the event itself for too long has been treated by one side as an unwanted pre-season event that affects their preparation for what they consider truly important. How in earth can you build up a product with that sort of blatantly open attitude to the event? It ain't gonna happen. And it's a damn shame.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

On 22/11/2021 at 20:04, The Great Dane said:

They are already at the other side of the world, thank goodness.😀😀😀

9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Wernt the last 2 WCC matches held in Oz (Melbourne (20k  and Roosters 31k) their biggest crowds of the season?

Also after the Roosters beat Saints a couple of years ago didn't they make a big thing about being the most Successful RL team in the world?

On 22/11/2021 at 20:04, The Great Dane said:

What about the cowards come over to play in the world cup?

Hiding back home whislt the union and cricket teams tour... what are they so scared of?

Whos the petty entitled ones here??

8 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Wernt the last 2 WCC matches held in Oz (Melbourne (20k  and Roosters 31k) their biggest crowds of the season?

Also after the Roosters beat Saints a couple of years ago didn't they make a big thing about being the most Successful RL team in the world?

Not sure if they were. At 20k, maybe not for Melb and at 31k, most likely for Roosters.

I don’t remember the Roosters kicking up too much fuss about being “World Champs”. Not enough that the media and fans of other clubs really listened.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Not sure if they were. At 20k, maybe not for Melb and at 31k, most likely for Roosters.

I don’t remember the Roosters kicking up too much fuss about being “World Champs”. Not enough that the media and fans of other clubs really listened.

Take it you don't go to many Roosters games....

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

"The flick"? Seriously?

There seriously must be a directive to shun all non-NRL related competitions because they can't all do this nonsense coincidentally with such consistency.

I think a lot of it is down to the individual NRL club,if it was the Roosters or Melbourne for example it might have gone ahead but the Panthers & Cleary were one of the main instigators in the World Cup boycott,so I doubt this years WCC really had any chance of going ahead,

28 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

"The flick"? Seriously?

There seriously must be a directive to shun all non-NRL related competitions because they can't all do this nonsense coincidentally with such consistency.

I used to quite like the Panthers, until I read that. 

On 27/11/2021 at 22:31, Mr Frisky said:

We shouldn't be tarring all NRL clubs with the same brush as Penrith here. Some of them (Storm, Roosters, Bunnies, Bronco's) have all in the past made a big deal of the WCC, talked the game up and most definately not treated it as a pre-season friendly.

The last one that was played (Saints V Roosters) was a fantastic match and a lot of the Roosters players after that game admitted it was far tougher than they imagined it would be and felt honored to play in games like that..

Sadly the current NRL champions are a club with no interest in anything outside the NRL

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

"The flick"? Seriously?

Disgracefully unprofessional language, I can`t see who wins by using language like that, it`s hard to believe the CEO of a multi-million dollar business would use such language.

You might get away with unprofessionalism like that for a while but it will catch up to you eventually because it reveals very, very poor judgement.

Archived