Is the WCC back on ?

Davo5

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Disgracefully unprofessional language, I can`t see who wins by using language like that, it`s hard to believe the CEO of a multi-million dollar business would use such language.

You might get away with unprofessionalism like that for a while but it will catch up to you eventually because it reveals very, very poor judgement.

Its ridiculous, no wonder the WCC struggles for credibility with some when clubs treat it like this and use language like that.

It’s a shame but it was always highly unlikely. It would have been an interesting game and one, with a fully fit Saints side, you’d have fancied to really give Penrith a scare. 

As for the language, it’s pretty informal language and doesn’t look or come across the best. 

31 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Let’s face it Penrith are tin pot by NRL standards, and have just come off the back of an unusually good two seasons. They’ll soon be back in their place, wishing they’d tried to become world champions. 

Whilst not liking their stance on international RL,calling them tin pot is ridiculous,they have a state of the art training centre,a fantastic player development program & are about to have a new stadium built,ensuring they’ll be a leading NRL team for some time.

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Whilst not liking their stance on international RL,calling them tin pot is ridiculous,they have a state of the art training centre,a fantastic player development program & are about to have a new stadium built,ensuring they’ll be a leading NRL team for some time.

But I know where @Eddie is coming from I think, the way they carried on this year when they were winning was to be quite frank, embarrassing, waving teams off after beating them, giving opposition players gob-fulls after scoring points, it showed absolutely no class.

At the time I thought Ivan Cleary didn`t want to tell them to pull their heads in because he thought perhaps they were on a roll and didn`t want to risk disrupting their momentum, but I`m starting to wonder now whether they really are the `westy` club and that`s the image they are cultivating.

A conversation that @George Watt from these pages had with some senior club officials at Panthers Leagues club recently made me think that we may see a more mature, statesmen-like Panthers this year, befitting NRL champions, this latest offering makes me wonder whether they are beyond redemption. I just can`t imagine Roosters or Storm officials speaking like that.

But as I said maybe this is the image the club is cultivating a real westy " f.... you all " mentality.

42 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

But I know where @Eddie is coming from I think, the way they carried on this year when they were winning was to be quite frank, embarrassing, waving teams off after beating them, giving opposition players gob-fulls after scoring points, it showed absolutely no class.

At the time I thought Ivan Cleary didn`t want to tell them to pull their heads in because he thought perhaps they were on a roll and didn`t want to risk disrupting their momentum, but I`m starting to wonder now whether they really are the `westy` club and that`s the image they are cultivating.

A conversation that @George Watt from these pages had with some senior club officials at Panthers Leagues club recently made me think that we may see a more mature, statesmen-like Panthers this year, befitting NRL champions, this latest offering makes me wonder whether they are beyond redemption. I just can`t imagine Roosters or Storm officials speaking like that.

But as I said maybe this is the image the club is cultivating a real westy " f.... you all " mentality.

I can't help thinking this is deliberately inflammatory.

Whatever it is, it's very disappointing.

At best, it's a crude and vulgar, oafish embarrassment.

At worst, it's a pretty unforgiveable show of utter contempt, for St. Helens, Super League and NH Rugby League in general.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

I never said I liked them & agree with your points,however no matter how arrogant & unpleasant they are,they are far from a tinpot club who will disappear into mid table obscurity any time soon.

On 22/11/2021 at 20:04, The Great Dane said:

It seems to me that it's you lot whom are the ones that click your fingers and expect the NRL/Australian RL to appear with bells on... I mean this thread is dominated by people demanding that an NRL club drop everything and travel to the other side of the world to play a glorified exhibition game because it's in your (English RL's) interest.

That's entitlement on a level that is astounding.

What you mean like playing international competitions like every other sport manage to do.

23 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

We shouldn't be tarring all NRL clubs with the same brush as Penrith here. Some of them (Storm, Roosters, Bunnies, Bronco's) have all in the past made a big deal of the WCC, talked the game up and most definately not treated it as a pre-season friendly.

The last one that was played (Saints V Roosters) was a fantastic match and a lot of the Roosters players after that game admitted it was far tougher than they imagined it would be and felt honored to play in games like that..

Sadly the current NRL champions are a club with no interest in anything outside the NRL

I rember Leeds v Cowboys in a packed Headingley and Jonathan Thurston walking all around the ground doing a bowing down action to all sides of the ground. I don't think he had ever witnessed a atmosphere quite like it and was quite obviously moved. 

12 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I never said I liked them & agree with your points,however no matter how arrogant & unpleasant they are,they are far from a tinpot club who will disappear into mid table obscurity any time soon.

Would a top club turn down the chance to be World Champions? - something they can only do by winning the NRL GF and something they failed todo last time?

The WCC should be the ultimate and some Aussie clubs embrace the chance to be crowned best team in the world - clubs like Roosters, Melbourne, Brisbane are all regarded as top NRL clubs and always seem to play in the WCC - that's the difference between top and tin pot.

I think a problem here is that Saints aren’t perceived as a big deal. While I am not casting particular doubt about whether or not they were worthy champions, they aren’t a Wigan and a Leeds when it comes to box office. The Roosters were indeed very classy in talking up their game in 2020, but having bizarrely found myself sharing a flight with them on their return, there was a sense that it was good, but it wasn’t like playing Wigan. 

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I think a problem here is that Saints aren’t perceived as a big deal. While I am not casting particular doubt about whether or not they were worthy champions, they aren’t a Wigan and a Leeds when it comes to box office. The Roosters were indeed very classy in talking up their game in 2020, but having bizarrely found myself sharing a flight with them on their return, there was a sense that it was good, but it wasn’t like playing Wigan. 

😂😂😂😂nice trolling. Merry Christmas.

33 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Would a top club turn down the chance to be World Champions? - something they can only do by winning the NRL GF and something they failed todo last time?

The WCC should be the ultimate and some Aussie clubs embrace the chance to be crowned best team in the world - clubs like Roosters, Melbourne, Brisbane are all regarded as top NRL clubs and always seem to play in the WCC - that's the difference between top and tin pot.

Penrith failed to win the NRL Grand Final last season ??

Im afraid the NRL clubs don’t see the WCC as the ultimate prize & even the ones who do take part want all their costs guaranteed upfront 

Love them or loathe them,I wish the majority of our clubs were as tinpot in regards to facilities/youth development/brand of rugby/finance.

44 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Penrith failed to win the NRL Grand Final last season ??

Im afraid the NRL clubs don’t see the WCC as the ultimate prize & even the ones who do take part want all their costs guaranteed upfront 

Love them or loathe them,I wish the majority of our clubs were as tinpot in regards to facilities/youth development/brand of rugby/finance.

Not sure why you put ??? In your first sentence.

As I stated you have to win the GF to be able to play in the WCC (similar to the old European Cup in Football before everyone was allowed to have a shot at it every year, regardless of if they were their countries champions) so it should be seen as the pinnacle- weather or not if that's how the NRL clubs see it - but as I said the bigger NRL clubs listed in my previous post always make an effort and for the past 2 occasions its been played in Oz the 2 clubs got their best crowd of the season.

As I & others said on here, Penrith arnt pushing this so shows the type of club they are. Saying that I think Saints should bite the bullet and get themselves over and take a chance on half the gate receipts rather than guaranteed £££ like the NRL clubs get when they come to the UK.

3 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Saying that I think Saints should bite the bullet and get themselves over and take a chance on half the gate receipts rather than guaranteed £££ like the NRL clubs get when they come to the UK.

Penrith would only find some other w@nk reason not to play if Saints turned up. 

penrith only got to the gf cos their kit man was their extra man and souths were swizzed- since then a boat load of their players have left or hit some trouble on the tracks - crown saints champs due to default 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Some of the views on Penrith are some of the dumbest I've ever seen on any subject in my time browsing the internet.

Let's start they are scared to play St Helens, yes we did poorly in the wcc in 1991, many of our best players didn't travel and the rest were partying for about 6 months after the premiership win which included a game in Anfield in which Wigan won the penalty count about 17-0 and their second try was blatantly offside. 

2004, Bradford played well especially Paul Anderson who was able to somehow out pace Rhys Wesser from bombs and get to kicks faster then the fastest player in the NRL at the time he missed his calling as a sprinter, rather than Steve Wilkos impersonator, I mean Bradford could have been miles offside from every kick when the front rowers were first their everytime but I don't know. Also had a try which was disallowed in the first 5 minutes after looking at it for about 20 minutes to give an excuse as to why it wasn't given.

You also have the World Club Challenge where Penrith won all 6 games averaging 40 points per game but just must of been too scared to advance to the next round, To be fair Bradford deserved it after their 0-6 record. They put up a great performance over both legs only losing 30-74 a real close one.

Yes it's people from Penrith with the chip on their shoulders real westy like it's a shame that people from there have to not write their real address when applying for a job in the city and are told to find a relative of friend who lives closer to the city. But that is just Penrith with a chip on their shoulder and it isn't some sort of Snobbish Prejudiced ###### you have to put up with. 

Penrith are tinpot, yes it's a shame we beat Parramatta all due to the trainer obviously, He was wrong to stop the game for a player who is now out for 3-6 months. He was clearly faking it Parramatta were certain to score on that play unlike the previous 300 in Penrith's worst performance of the season, It's almost like Parramatta really struggle to score points and especially against Penrith but I may be reading a bit to much into it. I mean 20-2 Our trainer was working overtime in that game. I wouldn't worry too much they wont get past the Storm anyway.

I know it's upsetting to see Parramatta legends like Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Waqa Blake, Maika Sivo, Bryce Cartwright, Will Smith miss out on a premiership playing for such a non tin-pot side and one as well run as the eels look at those players they helped develop.

News Limited hates Penrith so I must hate Penrith too as we know, Lol Jimmy Maloney what a character mouthing off being a sweet and lovely person, Jarome Luai and Stephen Crichton doing this I don't know what to think anymore there is something that differentiates them from Maloney I can't quite put my finger on it but im sure this notorious right-wing publication will help me understand why I have to hate these people. 

Also Penrith ruined Matt Burton's career not releasing him to the Bulldogs this season it's unfair. Why are Penrith allowed so many good players why aren't they $avy like the Roo$ter$ and Nick Politi$ and their culture the Roosters have never had a player do anything wrong ever.

Penrith should get rid of most of their players they are clearly cheating the cap, I think the Roosters have room for several more players and haven't been blatantly cheating the system since 1996. I would read about it in the papers but it appears every club in the NRL has some sort of salary cap drama apart from the Roosters. It's amazing the job they do to get all journalists on side I'm sure there is nothing suspicious about this behaviour at all.

The reason why the WCC wont go ahead is due to Covid. NRL clubs are all selfish and would all pretty much do the same in our position, Penrith didn't single handedly shut down the Rugby League World Cup how dumb are some of you seriously. 

As for the tin-pot notion if teams like Penrith didn't exist you wouldn't be able to watch the NRL. Teams like the Roosters and Storm are just franchise teams which do little in the way of junior development instead just take everyone else's best junior players. 

The amount of jealousy and ridiciculous ###### going on through news-limited about Penrith is tiresome. Last year they had to invent god Penrith are smug because no one had any reason to hate a team which uses pretty much it's own resources to reach the top. This weird love in for teams like the Roosters and Melbourne and hate for teams like Penrith who are only doing what 80% of other clubs in the league should be doing is bizarre. 

It's all a ploy to bring in a draft and franchising and kill the game off for good. 

9 minutes ago, anjado said:

Some of the views on Penrith are some of the dumbest I've ever seen on any subject in my time browsing the internet.

Let's start they are scared to play St Helens, yes we did poorly in the wcc in 1991, many of our best players didn't travel and the rest were partying for about 6 months after the premiership win which included a game in Anfield in which Wigan won the penalty count about 17-0 and their second try was blatantly offside. 

2004, Bradford played well especially Paul Anderson who was able to somehow out pace Rhys Wesser from bombs and get to kicks faster then the fastest player in the NRL at the time he missed his calling as a sprinter, rather than Steve Wilkos impersonator, I mean Bradford could have been miles offside from every kick when the front rowers were first their everytime but I don't know. Also had a try which was disallowed in the first 5 minutes after looking at it for about 20 minutes to give an excuse as to why it wasn't given.

You also have the World Club Challenge where Penrith won all 6 games averaging 40 points per game but just must of been too scared to advance to the next round, To be fair Bradford deserved it after their 0-6 record. They put up a great performance over both legs only losing 30-74 a real close one.

Yes it's people from Penrith with the chip on their shoulders real westy like it's a shame that people from there have to not write their real address when applying for a job in the city and are told to find a relative of friend who lives closer to the city. But that is just Penrith with a chip on their shoulder and it isn't some sort of Snobbish Prejudiced ###### you have to put up with. 

Penrith are tinpot, yes it's a shame we beat Parramatta all due to the trainer obviously, He was wrong to stop the game for a player who is now out for 3-6 months. He was clearly faking it Parramatta were certain to score on that play unlike the previous 300 in Penrith's worst performance of the season, It's almost like Parramatta really struggle to score points and especially against Penrith but I may be reading a bit to much into it. I mean 20-2 Our trainer was working overtime in that game. I wouldn't worry too much they wont get past the Storm anyway.

I know it's upsetting to see Parramatta legends like Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Waqa Blake, Maika Sivo, Bryce Cartwright, Will Smith miss out on a premiership playing for such a non tin-pot side and one as well run as the eels look at those players they helped develop.

News Limited hates Penrith so I must hate Penrith too as we know, Lol Jimmy Maloney what a character mouthing off being a sweet and lovely person, Jarome Luai and Stephen Crichton doing this I don't know what to think anymore there is something that differentiates them from Maloney I can't quite put my finger on it but im sure this notorious right-wing publication will help me understand why I have to hate these people. 

Also Penrith ruined Matt Burton's career not releasing him to the Bulldogs this season it's unfair. Why are Penrith allowed so many good players why aren't they $avy like the Roo$ter$ and Nick Politi$ and their culture the Roosters have never had a player do anything wrong ever.

Penrith should get rid of most of their players they are clearly cheating the cap, I think the Roosters have room for several more players and haven't been blatantly cheating the system since 1996. I would read about it in the papers but it appears every club in the NRL has some sort of salary cap drama apart from the Roosters. It's amazing the job they do to get all journalists on side I'm sure there is nothing suspicious about this behaviour at all.

The reason why the WCC wont go ahead is due to Covid. NRL clubs are all selfish and would all pretty much do the same in our position, Penrith didn't single handedly shut down the Rugby League World Cup how dumb are some of you seriously. 

As for the tin-pot notion if teams like Penrith didn't exist you wouldn't be able to watch the NRL. Teams like the Roosters and Storm are just franchise teams which do little in the way of junior development instead just take everyone else's best junior players. 

The amount of jealousy and ridiciculous ###### going on through news-limited about Penrith is tiresome. Last year they had to invent god Penrith are smug because no one had any reason to hate a team which uses pretty much it's own resources to reach the top. This weird love in for teams like the Roosters and Melbourne and hate for teams like Penrith who are only doing what 80% of other clubs in the league should be doing is bizarre. 

It's all a ploy to bring in a draft and franchising and kill the game off for good. 

I’m really annoyed with Penrith but that is an excellent rant to be fair 👏🏽 

8 minutes ago, anjado said:

I got as far as the 2nd paragraph and had to stop reading through laughter. It then took a good few more attempts to get through it all. One eyed ranting at its best but at least you gave me a right giggle this morning. You ain't half got a humungous chip on your shoulder, maybe you should chat to someone about that.

19 minutes ago, anjado said:

Thanks for that,I do miss the old comedy Xmas specials on TV,but that’s up there with the best Morcambe & Wise or the Two Ronnies ever managed.

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

I got as far as the 2nd paragraph and had to stop reading through laughter. It then took a good few more attempts to get through it all. One eyed ranting at its best but at least you gave me a right giggle this morning. You ain't half got a humungous chip on your shoulder, maybe you should chat to someone about that.

Anyone would have a chip on their shoulder if they had to read through 3 pages of pure ######.

Shaun Edwards is at least 2 metres offside on the 2nd try in 1991. We were clearly robbed in 1997, 2004 was super annoying because Bradford were offside from every kick.

The language used by the club should have been better, I don't agree with Cleary on his WC stance, but to suggest that we were some sort of driving force behind the cancellation is asinine. The Covid situation in Australia was very different to the one in the UK at the time. If you want to blame anyone for the World Cup being delayed blame the Australian government for the ridiculously slow vaccine roll out. 

Before you compare it to cricket and Rugby Union too you are talking about many 100's of players and officials leaving Australia for the UK not just 30-40. This is also from a country where a player refused to tour the UK because of terrorism this century. 

What I would say in difference from Penrith to the Roosters and Melbourne it might be impossible to play a WCC game in Western Sydney in February anyway at least a proper fixture. The difference in temperature in the city and Penrith could be anything up to 15 degrees centigrade and to be honest isn't worth the risk.

Everything I said about the job situation is factual.

Everything I said about the difference in treatment in the media from Maloney to Luai is the truth as well it's very easy to see through the veil of racism and classism that exists. When Luai played for NSW it was perfectly acceptable and people loved it though.

Many of you don't realise the amount of snobbery that exists in Sydney because people are told it doesn't exist or you visited and lived next to Bondi beach for 2 weeks.

This Parramatta were robbed thing was such a joke as well they had the ball for the whole game and only scored off a kick through a massive mistake by the fullback. 

Saying Penrith are afraid to play against St Helens is laughable, it really is saying Penrith probably dont want to go to the UK incase half the squad get's covid is probably closer to the truth.

It's funny for a website that complains about classism in the media, when someone points out another case of it you all decide very quickly that i must be wrong.

2 minutes ago, anjado said:

Anyone would have a chip on their shoulder if they had to read through 3 pages of pure ######.

Shaun Edwards is at least 2 metres offside on the 2nd try in 1991. We were clearly robbed in 1997, 2004 was super annoying because Bradford were offside from every kick.

The language used by the club should have been better, I don't agree with Cleary on his WC stance, but to suggest that we were some sort of driving force behind the cancellation is asinine. The Covid situation in Australia was very different to the one in the UK at the time. If you want to blame anyone for the World Cup being delayed blame the Australian government for the ridiculously slow vaccine roll out. 

Before you compare it to cricket and Rugby Union too you are talking about many 100's of players and officials leaving Australia for the UK not just 30-40. This is also from a country where a player refused to tour the UK because of terrorism this century. 

What I would say in difference from Penrith to the Roosters and Melbourne it might be impossible to play a WCC game in Western Sydney in February anyway at least a proper fixture. The difference in temperature in the city and Penrith could be anything up to 15 degrees centigrade and to be honest isn't worth the risk.

Everything I said about the job situation is factual.

Everything I said about the difference in treatment in the media from Maloney to Luai is the truth as well it's very easy to see through the veil of racism and classism that exists. When Luai played for NSW it was perfectly acceptable and people loved it though.

Many of you don't realise the amount of snobbery that exists in Sydney because people are told it doesn't exist or you visited and lived next to Bondi beach for 2 weeks.

This Parramatta were robbed thing was such a joke as well they had the ball for the whole game and only scored off a kick through a massive mistake by the fullback. 

Saying Penrith are afraid to play against St Helens is laughable, it really is saying Penrith probably dont want to go to the UK incase half the squad get's covid is probably closer to the truth.

It's funny for a website that complains about classism in the media, when someone points out another case of it you all decide very quickly that i must be wrong.

Keep it coming. Its good to talk and can really help you get over these things.

Archived