Watches

Probably best to let us know what kind of look you're going for - classic, modern, chunky, slim, retro, sports etc.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Probably best to let us know what kind of look you're going for - classic, modern, chunky, slim, retro, sports etc.

Quite like the look of the Lilienthal Berlin watch but not sure if the quality is any good. 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

the lucky lucky man in gran canaria has some crackers at the min "100 million year guarantee del boy"

23 years ago we were on holiday in Tenerife , my son had a Godzilla puppet that fitted over your arm , and he was very good at operating it , we'd be walking down past bars and restaurants and the ' drag them in ' Artists were fascinated with it ,on numerous occasions they'd borrow it and he'd off into the bar or kitchen , where various screams and shouting would then follow ( how none of them ended up losing a hand by some freaked out chef with a meat cleaver I'll never know ) 

Anyway late one night heading back to ' Los Paramides ' a couple of Lucky Lucky guys crossed our path , our James gives it the ' Boss Gremlin ' and one of them loses it , stepping back and falling on the floor , crossing himself and muttering all sorts of religious type stuff , surrounded by watches and sunglasses , his mate is cracking up laughing , the guy on the floor genuinely thought that was it , death was here 😂 , after 3/4 minutes where James removed the latex monster from his arm , he calmed down enough to get within 3/4 feet of it , whereupon our James refitted ' God ' and made him lunge at the guy , again he jumped backwards much to the amusement of his mate 

Bloody brilliant 😂

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Quite like the look of the Lilienthal Berlin watch but not sure if the quality is any good. 

Okay, that's quite a sleek, clean look. Unless you're totally opposed to quartz movements, Skagen may have something you'd like in that line: https://www.skagen.com/en-us/men/?page=1 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Okay, that's quite a sleek, clean look. Unless you're totally opposed to quartz movements, Skagen may have something you'd like in that line: https://www.skagen.com/en-us/men/?page=1 

I should say that some Skagen models have non-standard strap attachments, which makes it tricky if you wish to replace/change the strap at some point. However, most use the standard (horribly fiddly) spring-pin arrangement.

But if you like it the way it is and don't want to customise, that's not really a problem.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of my watches is an Aeromatic 1912 which is, internally, a bog-standard cheapo quartz job with lousy luminance and a fake patina, but which looks nice (to me) and has the most comfortable strap I've worn to date.

nfq71dC.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Casio make a line of watches called "Oceanus" that have some really cool technological features and are nicely styled.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/casio/products/casio-oceanus-ocw-t200s-1ajf-made-in-japan

Unfortunately, they're made for the Japanese market, and you generally have to order them from there.

Tangentially, the Black Forest hosts a number of clock museums. Schramberg, n the former factory of Jungens, also museums in Villingen-Schwenningen and Furtwangen.

https://www.junghans-terrassenbau-museum.de/index_en.html

https://auto-und-uhrenwelt.de/en/ 

This latter also has a Diesel Museum (houses the diesel generator that powered the main factory) . When we arrived with our multi-museum ticket, the Diesel Museum was shut, but the kind people at the main museum just tossed us a set of keys, told us to let ourselves in and lock up when we'd done. That reminds  me. I wondered what that odd set of keys in my cars glove box were for.....

A Hamilton field watch is a lovely thing. I bought one recently and its a new fave. Robust as buggery but a slim profile. 

Have a look at Seikos and you wont go far wrong. 

Hodinkee has a few guides for the budget, too. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

If you have a lot more money than taste, the Graff Diamonds Hallucination is a truly hideous waste of about 40 million quid. 110 carats of tacky cheapness with a criminal price tag.

d54f6dee9d081c19ecebd91afb44104a.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If you have a lot more money than taste, the Graff Diamonds Hallucination is a truly hideous waste of about 40 million quid. 110 carats of tacky cheapness with a criminal price tag.

d54f6dee9d081c19ecebd91afb44104a.jpg

Nice I’ll add it to the list. 

I’ve got a nice Seiko Kinetic (with a blue face) still with its presentation box that I wear for odd occasions.

When younger I used to really like Fossil watches too and had a little collection of them.

I always fancied a perpetual motion Rolex when older, but I just haven’t made it I guess!

Think my favourite watch is a family heirloom passed down from my Grandad who fought on the Somme with it on.

Archived