Channel 4 to broadcast live Super League

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news that we will have RL on 2 terrestrial channels and 2 subscription broadcasters next year. If Sky continue with their occasional YouTube games, plus those shown on OurLeague/Twitch, then we've got quite a spread!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is really positive news.  Firstly, we've finally got a foot in the door with another broadcaster, which provided the deal doesn't flop puts us in a better position come renegotiations. 

Secondly, extra free to air coverage is so important for the code in trying to rebuild support and prestige around Super League.  Between the Challenge Cup on BBC, Channel 4s matches and Sky committing to "making some of this season's fixtures available via free-to-air Sky platforms", we could see over 20 games available subscription free in 2022.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Excellent news. This is huge for the game.

It is great to finally see the game shown on another FTA broadcaster. The more broadcasters interested in showing the sport the better. I am also  really excited to see what Channel 4 can do and to see if they add a bit of freshness to the presentation. They could force the BBC and Sky in particular to up their game.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

It is great to finally see the game shown on another FTA broadcaster. The more broadcasters interested in showing the sport the better. I am also  really excited to see what Channel 4 can do and to see if they add a bit of freshness to the presentation. They could force the BBC and Sky in particular to up their game.

all depends on the production company really - Sunset+Vine revolutionised cricket on C4 but that was really smashing up probably over 30 years of the same way of doing things, and arguably you've got more scope with cricket - given the breaks in play, length of matches, etc. Not sure what can be done (but then again I don't work in this field so why would I?) to change an 80 minute match.

That's not knocking it by the way, I think it's great news.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

2 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

all depends on the production company really - Sunset+Vine revolutionised cricket on C4 but that was really smashing up probably over 30 years of the same way of doing things, and arguably you've got more scope with cricket - given the breaks in play, length of matches, etc. Not sure what can be done (but then again I don't work in this field so why would I?) to change an 80 minute match.

That's not knocking it by the way, I think it's great news.

I think the BBC in general do a good job with their coverage, and Sky get much right, but let themselves down with their pundits. 

But there is plenty C4 could do to present it in a fresh way. I often feel we don't get the atmosphere of the fans and the event across on TV and I'd like to see them getting in there at ground level and showing off the events. 

The one very slight worry is that they go down the RU route where it was the same coverage as you got on BT sports (I believe as I never actually watched it fully - just based on what I saw in passing). 

1 minute ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Great stuff, hopefully they get enough of an audience to encourage them to take more in the next tv package. 

I hope that their expectations are realistic as a starting point of 500k-1m per game - but they are determined to grow it through advertising. They generally advertise their own stuff really well and take it seriously, it would be great to have a supportive partner on board. 

Well this came out of nowhere, fantastic news, this is much bigger than it seems on first look in my opinion, hopefully it also leads to bigger and better things for free to air games. Well done to all involved.

For years, when we have had 'fantasy RL' kind of conversations we have talked about things like terrestrial coverage, quality coverage of every game, video refs at each game, another French team. If the above is delivered and done well, 2022 could be a very important year for SL. 

Then we also have 40 Championship games on Premier. 

And 61 World Cup games on BBC. 

We need to put everything we have into 2022.

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

💥. This has come out of nowhere, and what great news it is. 

I don't know whether I can claim any credit for this, but in July I had a letter published by the Yorkshire Post criticising Channel 4 for not covering Rugby League, given that its HQ had moved to Leeds.

Did it have any effect? I certainly hoped it would do.

I'll be speaking to Pete Andrews, the Head of Sport at Channel 4, a little later.

“Sweet dreams are made of these, 

Who am I to disagree?”

Channel 4 did an amazing job of popularising the NFL in the U.K. through innovative coverage - let’s hope for more of the same.

I really hope they break with the traditional coverage that we see on Sky and the BBC.

Be fantastic if they can really reach out to young people and mix things up by talking their language and embracing their culture in some way such as through the use of music.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Was just about to post similar. These 10 games should be handpicked and we go all out to make them events. Mind you, the same goes for Cup games and we are happy for them to be on BBC with poor crowds. 

Seems they won't just be getting the rubbish too if the opener is anything to go by. Showing big clubs like the Wire and whoever they happen to play is great. 

The fact that league games generally have a decent baseline attendance from season ticket sales alone helps massively in this though.

Just now, Damien said:

The fact that league games generally have a decent baseline attendance from season ticket sales alone helps massively in this though.

Very true. 2 questions that spring to mind for me.

Who has first pick of games is it Sky or Channel 4?

Are there any restrictions, as in do Channel 4 have to broadcast every club across the 10 games for example? Hopefully that’s not the case, we need to broadcast our best teams and biggest games to the Nation on free to air tv.

Archived