Channel 4 to broadcast live Super League

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I don't know whether I can claim any credit for this, but in July I had a letter published by the Yorkshire Post criticising Channel 4 for not covering Rugby League, given that its HQ had moved to Leeds.

Did it have any effect? I certainly hoped it would do.

I'll be speaking to Pete Andrews, the Head of Sport at Channel 4, a little later.

I agree - I don't think you can take any credit for this either. 

I jest of course, i'm sure it had some influence on what has now come to pass - well done! 

19 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I don't know whether I can claim any credit for this, but in July I had a letter published by the Yorkshire Post criticising Channel 4 for not covering Rugby League, given that its HQ had moved to Leeds.

I'll be speaking to Pete Andrews, the Head of Sport at Channel 4, a little later.

Main question in terms of overall commitment is are they going to be showing the highlights package as well. Ten isolated games without being supported by the highlights is going to be harder for them to both build momentum for and to get behind commercially.

Fair play on this. A rare bright light for the sport. Well done to whoever got this over the line!

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

26 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Well done Sir, please try and make 2 points ;

1) To Channel 4 impress on them not to follow Sky Sports but to be innovative in their presentation. Please, please dont suggest that any of the various clowns from Sky could be involved in their presentation. A new,fresh, professional approach is so important.

2) To the various home clubs involved in the matches, please try and ensure they dont just sit back and hope the fans turn up. Please try and point out the oppourtunity they have to show piece the game, the owners really should be aiming for at least a 50% increase on their average attendance.

Best of luck.

Golazzo.

Very good news.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

36 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

That could be an interesting conversation Martin, I assume you'll be reporting it in League Express? 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

As with everyone else, I view this as great news for the game and opens up many other opportunities. 

Something else occurred to me, C4 often repeat programmes on E4 or More4 so there may be a chance to catch even more casual viewers at another time 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

all depends on the production company really - Sunset+Vine revolutionised cricket on C4 but that was really smashing up probably over 30 years of the same way of doing things, and arguably you've got more scope with cricket - given the breaks in play, length of matches, etc. Not sure what can be done (but then again I don't work in this field so why would I?) to change an 80 minute match.

That's not knocking it by the way, I think it's great news.

They did an amazing job with union. A 'build up show' for 45mins at noon then the game later....

57 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

This is huge. Total game changer.

I really hope Adam Hills fronts the coverage. He's got cut through nationwide and could really help it reach new audiences.

Hills would be better doing the Monday night show, in which he, Tom Allen and Jodie Cunningham reflect on the weekend's action and run through the highlights.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Yes its 10 extra televised games on free to air

The detail being eight through the regular season and two play-off matches.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived