Channel 4 to broadcast live Super League

39 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

I was thinking Adam hills (1) may have had something to do with this (“pushing” in the background) and (2) hopefully he can play some part in the presentation.  Absolute legend of a bloke, watch the last leg on channel 4 - he mentions rugby league (and especially the Wire 😇) pretty much every Friday night 👍

maybe but I would have thought the whole pressure from government and politicians to have public bodies or public supported like a public service broadcaster to move out to regions and not be so London centric is a bigger factor. Hopefully seeing more not just from a sport perspective but across the piece. Moving to the regions and seeing what's important to those local area's/regions.

Of course it could be individuals... but me thinks its the wider agenda impacting public service broadcasting, Whitehall departments and public supported institutions.

Mind you it doesn't stop any of us claiming "it was me"

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why wouldn’t they do that every game though, rather than just when it’s on channel 4? If they wanted to make it oook good on tv they could try to get people to buy tickets / move to the stand opposite the cameras. 

You’re going to annoy a lot of people by forcing them to move from their usual seats.

Instead why not follow what is successfully done elsewhere and think of promotions for a few home games a season where the opposition themselves maybe don’t have the drawing power by themselves.

In baseball they often celebrate legendary players, offer cheap but interesting sounding merchandise as a one off or do food promotions based on in-game scoring elements and have been doing it for years.  The NBA does this too.

Its just a suggestion to reach out to more fans rather than just rely on moving people around a stadium which will only upset folk to create an artificial look of fullness.

9 minutes ago, M j M said:

I think there is an element of design in this. The Sky deal may be lower but we know it covered a) fewer matches, b) was non-exclusive and c) included them filming and producing every game.

There was a clear intent there for SL to go to market for a terrestrial partner. How much that cost us in ££ terms from Sky who knows but it looks to have been part of the strategy.

This is not particularly innovative and often reflects the broadcaster not wanting to spend money on a temporary studio.

Well if its cheaper then all the better

It definitely adds to the atmosphere 

They also do it for Origin games which tells me it is a preference not a budget choice

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Well if its cheaper then all the better

It definitely adds to the atmosphere 

They also do it for Origin games which tells me it is a preference not a budget choice

Origin do it alongside a studio presence.

So in the last couple of weeks we have a potential £100m strategic investor.

We have Wakefield MDC providing £2m for Cas, Wakey and Fev.

We now have 10 games on C4 for next year (and 2023)

If those games prove very popular then more eyes will watch - and hopefully attend - the WC at the end of the year.  So I would like to express my thanks to Peter V’Landys for making this possible.  What a top bloke, what a visionary he is!

23 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There was mention earlier on this thread about the clubs really promoting the Channel 4 games to maximise their gate.  I think this is a great idea particularly if the broadcast time is family friendly.

I notice in baseball where there are definitely more games than appetite to sell out those games - they often rely on special one off promotions.  This is often as simple as the first xxxx arriving at the game get a free piece of merchandise or a special discount on food if your team scores in a certain way.  

You hear them being promoted in the broadcast and I often think it’s a clever way of boosting attendance at those baseball games as one off events beyond relying on more traditional things like season tickets.

I notice how that the examples are all "value-adding" to the experience of the game.

It's not a case of discounting the ticket price and de-valuing/cheapening the experience.

It may have the same net affect on your profit-per-ticket, but it is a remarkably different proposition when it comes to marketing and expectation setting.

Is it too much to hope that now Channel 4 have taken the plunge with Rugby League that they might be interested in picking up domestic Wheelchair Rugby League too?

Its a great sport in its own right and I believe it would tie in with Channel 4’s long-standing commitment to this community.

There’s also a national footprint to aim at.  Maybe a Magic style tournament at a venue that best lends itself to broadcasting.

Don’t wish to take us on too much of a tangent but it seems a logical move for broadcaster and Wheelchair Rugby League.

Excellent news all round!

If 12.30 pm kick-offs seem a bit early for those with Saturday morning commitments, there is always Channel 4 + 1 (so, de facto, a 1.30 kick-off), not to mention just recording it.

I wonder if Claire Balding would front it, either solely or with somebody else.  I always think she comes across as an enthusiastic, competent communicator., and we know she loves our sport.

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is it too much to hope that now Channel 4 have taken the plunge with Rugby League that they might be interested in picking up domestic Wheelchair Rugby League too?

Its a great sport in its own right and I believe it would tie in with Channel 4’s long-standing commitment to this community.

There’s also a national footprint to aim at.  Maybe a Magic style tournament at a venue that best lends itself to broadcasting.

Don’t wish to take us on too much of a tangent but it seems a logical move for broadcaster and Wheelchair Rugby League.

I was thinking that too. It seems a natural fit for Channel 4.

4 minutes ago, tiffers said:

I notice how that the examples are all "value-adding" to the experience of the game.

It's not a case of discounting the ticket price and de-valuing/cheapening the experience.

It may have the same net affect on your profit-per-ticket, but it is a remarkably different proposition when it comes to marketing and expectation setting.

I wouldn’t suggest discounting ticket price at all as you say - I think it can be counter productive.

In fact I would do the opposite and give people a reason to give up their valuable time to see a game they wouldn’t normally attend that is entirely positive.

Like I say, it seems to work well and is an idea that could be exported over here.

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

You could certainly see them giving it a boost during the main game coverage. That and PDRL and the like.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The fact that ten games have been given over to FTA is an interesting number. Obviously Sky have not wanted to concede any more lest it detracts form those who are willing to pay for the privilege to watch Rugby League. They`d get their fix on FTA. Yet as we have seen over here whereas once Pay TV operators could put all games of a minor sport behind a pay-wall it has only led to a gradual decline in the viewership. There seems to be a recognition that some FTA is necessary to maintain and engage new viewers.

The problem will be if the games are sporadic and not in a consistent time slot. Only dedicated League fans are likely to go looking.

The key of course will be to have new viewers buy into the narrative of the competition, i.e. they want to know who`s winning, how their team is going etc.

I think in a situation like this having a weekly wrap/highlights programme would be nearly essential if this venture is going to maximise its` potential. This will put the game in context for the casual viewers and then start searching out when the next game is on. Or as SKY will hope, taking up a subscription.

50 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I wondered if that where all this actually stems from, with Adam Hills quite prominent on the channel maybe the wheelchair sport was the first interest over SL and it led them to SL. 

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Adam Hills and Clare Balding would be great

I think that will probably be the consensus. I would like to see a real professional presenter and commentator rather than just the usual ex RL players shoehorned into positions.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think that will probably be the consensus. I would like to see a real professional presenter and commentator rather than just the usual ex RL players shoehorned into positions.

Please can we not have John Wilkin trying to be funny every 5 seconds 🙂

I actually think he’s fairly good when he sticks to talking about RL

Kevin Brown is also very good infront of camera and as co commentator 

Brilliant opportunity that the whole sport needs to get behind. We can't be having empty stands behind blowout scores.

I hope the coverage is good. The last sport I saw on C4 was cricket last year they had one or two of the tests from India and it was just a feed of Indian TV. Whether that was their intention or it was forced by Covid I don't know but it felt cheap, the dark studio looked rubbish too. If the RFL/SL need to put towards costs I would say it is well worth contributing to have the best product we can. I believe the NFL have had direct involvement with the BBC's coverage and it always looks fantastic.

1 minute ago, Colin James said:

I hope the coverage is good. The last sport I saw on C4 was cricket last year they had one or two of the tests from India and it was just a feed of Indian TV. Whether that was their intention or it was forced by Covid I don't know but it felt cheap, the dark studio looked rubbish too. 

All that is true, but didn't they secure the rights to show the cricket the day before the first ball was about to be bowled? They've got a bit more time to get their act together (and our matches aren't being played 6,000 miles away).

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Colin James said:

The last sport I saw on C4 was cricket last year they had one or two of the tests from India and it was just a feed of Indian TV. Whether that was their intention or it was forced by Covid I don't know but it felt cheap, the dark studio looked rubbish too.

in fairness, that would have been the first test, where they suddenly had the rights with IIRC about 48hrs notice on a 'take the Indian feed or don't broadcast it basis'. it was because of Covid that they had it in the first place. 

The subsequent matches where they had more presenters and back office lined up were very different. 

1 hour ago, M j M said:

I think there is an element of design in this. The Sky deal may be lower but we know it covered a) fewer matches, b) was non-exclusive and c) included them filming and producing every game.

There was a clear intent there for SL to go to market for a terrestrial partner. How much that cost us in ££ terms from Sky who knows but it looks to have been part of the strategy.

This is not particularly innovative and often reflects the broadcaster not wanting to spend money on a temporary studio.

I think you will find that ESPN were the first to do this.

Paul

Archived