Channel 4 to broadcast live Super League

Excellent news

I really hope that clubs will go all out to pack their grounds for these games. This is our chance to showcase the game to a national audience and we don't want to be looking at rows of empty seats. In that regard it looks a smart move to start at Headingley. I think Leeds really will buy into this and try and get the stadium rammed and jumping! The atmosphere needs to be white-hot, especially with the corporate boxes doubtless having a bunch of C4 execs in them.

The 12.30 slot is an interesting one, and one that doesn't conflict with anything else. Absolutely no excuse for RL fans not to be watching (on +1 or All4 for those working, but then that's true for any time slot). Even the amateur players can watch before their games kick off. I'm sure that the amateur teams who have clubhouses can open up and get the bar takings from getting people in early

Literally, nothing negative about this - which is unique for this forum, I have to say...

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 pages in already. Have just seen the news. This is actually amazing.

The challenge now is to build on this and make it an essential property for Channel 4.
this could also make a big difference with regards to the rumoured '100m' investment coming int the game. Does such news push any parties interested to act sooner rather than later?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I'll be speaking to Channel 4's Head of Sport later today.

Any questions for him that haven't been answered already?

What I know already is that Channel 4 will screen live games from the first two rounds of the competition and then they will screen one game each month until the playoffs, when they will then show two more games, which could be simulcast with Sky Sports (although that is not yet certain).

On the weekends when they are showing games, Sky will get the first pick, but Channel 4 will get the second pick of matches.

And the deal has a commercial value to Super League, although I'm not sure yet what the amount payable will be.

Given the value of this deal to Super League, I would be surprised if it was a big deal, but you never know.

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

What I know already is that Channel 4 will screen live games from the first two rounds of the competition and then they will screen one game each month until the playoffs, when they will then show two more games, which could be simulcast with Sky Sports (although that is not yet certain).

On the weekends when they are showing games, Sky will get the first pick, but Channel 4 will get the second pick of matches.

And the deal has a commercial value to Super League, although I'm not sure yet what the amount payable will be.

Given the value of this deal to Super League, I would be surprised if it was a big deal, but you never know.

Who will they be using on air?

2 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Will they be using the Super League coverage to showcase PDRL, wheelchair, masters and women's rugby league too?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Are they going to show a weekly highlights package? Sunday night on C4 would need fantastic. 

Sunday night would be ideal. All the weekends games, now recorded to broadcast standard I might add, and not clashing with the Championship coverage on the Monday. Gives you an RL fix Thursday through Monday on weeks where C4 have a Saturday game. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

10 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Will they be using their own cameras or Sky’s (or someone else’s)? 

This is obviously fantastic news and given that C4 have sort of shown an interest in RL before (ie they attended the first GF in 1998) but never followed it up, I just assumed it would never actually happen. So a huge well done to whoever got this over the line. 

Plus, you're missing the biggest game changing thing about it all. RL could very well end up on Gogglebox. 

20 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Channel 4 has a proud history of challenging stereotypes. How will Channel 4 challenge some of the old 'Eddie Waring, up 'n' under, only a game for Northerners etc.' stereotypes?

Hi Martyn.  For the C4 Head of Sport.

If possible, can we be told what plans there will be ( or should there be) to promote the game coverage via tasters etc. in the days coming up to one of the televised games. I think that is important if C4 wants to attract good viewing figures and therefore good advertising revenues. needs more than gameday promo.

4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Hills would be better doing the Monday night show, in which he, Tom Allen and Jodie Cunningham reflect on the weekend's action and run through the highlights.

Can't have a Monday night show will clash with Championship nite, the idea is to spread the word not compete with each other.

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Id like to know what it is that attracts Channel 4 to Super League?, and what, if any, strategies they have around showing the sport in the short term-to-long term?

Plans for promoting their coverage?

Are there any plans to show repeats of the games after the live broadcast?
Any plans for any additional magazine/review shows?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Colin James said:

Brilliant opportunity that the whole sport needs to get behind. We can't be having empty stands behind blowout scores.

I hope the coverage is good. The last sport I saw on C4 was cricket last year they had one or two of the tests from India and it was just a feed of Indian TV. Whether that was their intention or it was forced by Covid I don't know but it felt cheap, the dark studio looked rubbish too. If the RFL/SL need to put towards costs I would say it is well worth contributing to have the best product we can. I believe the NFL have had direct involvement with the BBC's coverage and it always looks fantastic.

Forced by Covid & i believe its was a late deal.

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Pitch them your proposal for the future of RL see how it goes down?

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Would they be interested in showing an international four nations tournament if the RFL stated that England  (not some b team) were in it? 

And some other teams that weren’t made up almost exclusively of English players. 

Just watched highlights of Wigan v Saints from Good Friday 2011 on Sky while eating my lunch. It was packed out (24k) and absolutely rocking, as a game it seems like we’re miles off that at the moment but a game like that on C4 would captivate neutrals for sure. 

18 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

Can't have a Monday night show will clash with Championship nite, the idea is to spread the word not compete with each other.

I'm talking about at 10pm or 10.30pm, there's no way we're shifting Location Location Location or that Geordie fella who watches peoples' houses get done up.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived