Channel 4 to broadcast live Super League

39 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

My view as a Southerner is people respect RL. People down here associate it with the North but also toughness/athleticism/physical effort and skill.

I find it hard to elaborate on how to project a modern public image for RL on a national stage but I know it isn't one of decayed pit villages and Grimethorpe Colliery Band. Hopefully the creative types at Channel 4 will crack it.    

Exactly my experience too, as a Northerner who’s been in East Anglia for 20 years. 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see SIr Kev involved as he's the best known RL face now. Unfortunately he's paid by the other code these days!

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

11 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I'd love to see SIr Kev involved as he's the best known RL face now. Unfortunately he's paid by the other code these days!

great guy and his feats for raising money are superhuman physically - he is a former player to be celebrated and cherished - but personality wise - absolutely not!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

great guy and his feats for raising money are superhuman physically - he is a former player to be celebrated and cherished - but personality wise - absolutely not!

Fair point.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

His problem is that, if you ask him a question, he'll give it serious consideration and a thoughtful answer. The man clearly has no future in the media!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

His problem is that, if you ask him a question, he'll give it serious consideration and a thoughtful answer. The man clearly has no future in the media!

mate we all love him and appreciate his mammoth efforts in his recent fundraising feats- hes a treasure of the game- but lets not have a knee jerk reaction because of that- when kevs on the tv panel its like watching  a depressed lemming 

Tony Rea and Tulsen Tollett have racked up a fair amount of broadcasting experience since their playing/coaching days.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Players who speak at least a semblance of properly would be nice, rather than with a mouth full of marbles.

exactly - jjb who speaks through his gnknose etc - stay away 

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Bit harsh - he was on BBC Breakfast a few months ago and the presenters were taken aback by how inspiring he was.

you have to be cruel to be kind mate - we have a chance of a fresh start with a fresh outlook - lets not stuff it up with the same old same old same old 

5 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Probably more than Premier are paying for a whole competition and bit of Challenge Cup.

That's more like it, well done.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Bit harsh - he was on BBC Breakfast a few months ago and the presenters were taken aback by how inspiring he was.

Steven Hawking was inspiring but it would have taken 10 minutes to get his analysis on a video ref decision.

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes. It's possible for rugby league to embrace and project its Northern heritage (rather than be embarrassed by it and try to foist it on places anywhere other than the North that doesn't really want it...) in a modern way without being stereotypical while being accessible to a national audience.

That means projecting the game's inclusiveness and unpretentiousness - very Channel 4, in fact - rather than the old-fashioned coal, chips & gravy 'knockabout' image of yore. Channel 4 tends to attract a younger audience, after all. 

Nobody is embarrassed about being northern. They maybe just don't want RL to stay in parts of the North (ie not actually the north) for evermore. 

44 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

you have to be cruel to be kind mate - we have a chance of a fresh start with a fresh outlook - lets not stuff it up with the same old same old same old 

I was hoping C4 would poach Baz & Tez to be honest.

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Hope you mean cook them in water for 3 minutes.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

may a million plagues of your beloved "confused emojis" be thrust upon you for eternity mr frisky 

Oh this could be very good with a bit of imagination.  But please everyone remember that the aim is to get the game before people who don't already know all the rules or nuances.  Its still perhaps too sporadic but definitely a good step forward.

Echo everyone's comments on the need to plug these games.  Two for one deals or even free bloody tickets.  We need those stadiums as full as possible.

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

Get James Richardson off of Gazetta Football Italia (formerly of C4) to sit outside a cafe in Leeds or Manchester's hipster zones drinking a latte and pointing at articles in the latest Rugby League Express (other titles are allegedly available).

No, it'll be beer and whippets as usual...

Bottle of Mann’s Brown instead of a latte and it would be perfect. 

Archived