Channel 4 to broadcast live Super League

1 hour ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Im not obsessed with getting championship on TV as such.

My point was about entertainment. To watch a game of RL, it can be as enjoyable, sometimes more so, to watch the championship. I know the crowds, level of the sport etc. Are what we want to showcase and agree, just worth noting that the entertainment factor can be equal and not necessarily obvious to a casual viewer.

You can make that point about any sport though. If Channel 4 wanted to show any second tier sport, they could have, but haven't.

The Championship have chosen a deal on a channel that very few people will see, that, sadly, is the level of interest in showing those games.

If you're paying thousands to get a game on air, why wouldn't you focus on the top competition, involving players and teams that a casual audience may have heard of. That's not a knock on those playing outside the top division, it's just reality of the world outside our bubble.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Damien said:

You said you didn't think she would be that good at the short segments during a match build up programme. That kind of gives the impression that you didn't think she was that good previously. I was just pointing out that she was good when she did that exact thing before.

Ah right, sorry, I meant to put "as good". I always feel there should be distinct teams that do the match day stuff and the other programmes.

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Ah okay, I didn't know that and I wonder what Ken Davy was referring to when he said this in the statement then? 

“I must thank our principal broadcast partner, Sky Sports, without whose support this partnership would not have been possible.”

Sky Sports are filming all the games - this was announced with the Sky Deal, this enabled SL to sell on 3rd choice fixtures

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Sky Sports are filming all the games - this was announced with the Sky Deal, this enabled SL to sell on 3rd choice fixtures

I think I remember that in the deal, but again I assumed C4 would do it themselves under this deal? Isn't there a concern the presentation could be a little disjointed if it's a Sky broadcast but C4 presenters/commentators? I know somebody else mentioned RU has been done similar in the past but that was being aired on both channels from memory. 

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I think I remember that in the deal, but again I assumed C4 would do it themselves under this deal? Isn't there a concern the presentation could be a little disjointed if it's a Sky broadcast but C4 presenters/commentators? I know somebody else mentioned RU has been done similar in the past but that was being aired on both channels from memory. 

I think its just that Sky (as in the production team) are filming the games, not that they'll be running the broadcast.

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

I was thinking that too, but how many clubs do you have left who’s home games might look exciting on tv to someone who hasn’t watched RL much before. Wire, Saints, Hull KR, Catalans and Leeds? Even they would need to put 25% on their normal crowds. 

Have you seen NRL games? I've seen loads of games with about 6k rattling round the SCG or the SFS doesn't seem to hurt thier broadcast figures.

1 minute ago, Mattrhino said:

Have you seen NRL games? I've seen loads of games with about 6k rattling round the SCG or the SFS doesn't seem to hurt thier broadcast figures.

In fairness I think a far higher premium is placed on a loud and obvious atmosphere in England than in Australia, where even their big crowds are pretty tame and mute.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

In fairness I think a far higher premium is placed on a loud and obvious atmosphere in England than in Australia, where even their big crowds are pretty tame and mute.

Yeah you might be right. I tend to turn those games off and prefer games in the older smaller grounds that get filled.

6 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I know, but the person I was replying to wasn’t saying that. However I do think that NRL ratings would be even better if their grounds were full. 

Not trying to get this into a political discussion but RL has lots of stories that will fit right into C4 lefty ideology. 

Its amazing how long its taken the wider sporting community to recognise that we had Black captains and managers 50 years before any other sport.

30 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Yeah you might be right. I tend to turn those games off and prefer games in the older smaller grounds that get filled.

I think its an important part anyway, certainly a lack of it is a turnoff for many TV viewers/companies.

On 24/11/2021 at 17:10, Pie tries said:

This is great news. C4 will be a breath of fresh air with new ideas and new faces.. 

well done Ken Davy…!

Is it me or has since Sir Ken took over the sea seems a tad calmer…

Sounds like excellent news.  A number of sports abandoned free to air in search of the mighty dollar here in Aus, and it backfired on almost all of them as their profile slowly shrank to nothing. Rugby Union finally realised this about a year ago after having only Wallabies games on FTA. The profile of RU really shrank - to the point that I doubt many Australians could name more than one or two Wallabies (and those most likely to be really old like Beale and Cooper). 

I wonder if Sky included this issue in their thinking as well? FTA raises the sport's profile and makes it more valuable to them? 

17 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

You can make that point about any sport though. If Channel 4 wanted to show any second tier sport, they could have, but haven't.

The Championship have chosen a deal on a channel that very few people will see, that, sadly, is the level of interest in showing those games.

If you're paying thousands to get a game on air, why wouldn't you focus on the top competition, involving players and teams that a casual audience may have heard of. That's not a knock on those playing outside the top division, it's just reality of the world outside our bubble.

Yeh I know, feel like your responding to a point I didn't make

Nice to see C4's social media covering this a fair bit. Things like that are a positive sign, I'd encourage people to interact with it as much as possible. 

In general the announcement has been massively positive, with only the odd weird exception, and C4 will absolutely be monitoring the online sentiment. 

A site broadly equivelent to totalrl in ru is called, rolling-maul.com  . Its amazing how similar many of the threads are on there, to those on here. Their supporters are desperately keen for their Championship to be screened on free to air, or indeed anywhere, from Premier Sports, Amazon etc,yet it seems there is no current interest in anyone showing any of their Championship games. They were also very disappointed when they lost their free to air coverage of their Premiership on Channel 4.

I can only repeat, that this seems a very good oppourtunity for SL, congratulations to Ken Davy and I hope the various clubs make the most of the oppourtunity available.

Peter  Andrews Channel Four`s Head of Sport:

"The phone has been red-hot because the announcement of the deal has created huge interest, so fingers crossed that translates into viewing figures."

Looks like a pretty good start.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Nice to see C4's social media covering this a fair bit. Things like that are a positive sign, I'd encourage people to interact with it as much as possible. 

In general the announcement has been massively positive, with only the odd weird exception, and C4 will absolutely be monitoring the online sentiment. 

To see them piggy backing onto a a main SL account tweet that was itself promoting a Sky game was very positive to see.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Peter  Andrews Channel Four`s Head of Sport:

"The phone has been red-hot because the announcement of the deal has created huge interest, so fingers crossed that translates into viewing figures."

Looks like a pretty good start.

It would be very interesting to know where in the country those phone calls have been coming from.

3 hours ago, cookey said:

A site broadly equivelent to totalrl in ru is called, rolling-maul.com  . Its amazing how similar many of the threads are on there, to those on here. Their supporters are desperately keen for their Championship to be screened on free to air, or indeed anywhere, from Premier Sports, Amazon etc,yet it seems there is no current interest in anyone showing any of their Championship games. They were also very disappointed when they lost their free to air coverage of their Premiership on Channel 4.

That's a pleasant surprise, considering RU's establishment connections you wouldn't think their supporters would have much to worry about.

3 hours ago, cookey said:

They were also very disappointed when they lost their free to air coverage of their Premiership on Channel 4.

I hope the RFL and Channel 4 are having a damn good look at why the union lost that coverage and seeing what they can do different and what they can improve on.

I would suggest publicising up-coming games and reminders on OurLeague. wouldn`t be a bad place to start, especially given the sporadic nature of the C4 television scheduling. 

This isn`t going to be like you can just turn on the TV every saturday at 3p.m.  like I had as a kid when I developed my life long passion for League, that makes it a lot easier. This may have to remind people that it`s on and exactly when.

Archived