Channel 4 to broadcast live Super League

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tanya Arnold may be tainted by her association with the SLS, but that show's pedestrian format and limited content doesn't flatter anyone. She's always been much better when presenting live game or the BBC's extended highlights shows.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, CornwallRL said:

Question:

Who will be C4 commentary team, will it be BBC Dave Wood & Tonya Harding, and yakki-daa Union Davies, or Sky Sports drivel, or a whole new team?

Can I apply?

Yakki-daa…?? What’s your problem with the Welsh language? At least you could’ve spelt it correctly. CornwallRL…I’d have thought you’d have more respect for a fellow Celtic tongue.. perhaps you’re not a proper Kernowyon.

In this week’s League Express, Garry Schofield has humbly suggested the following panel to spice up TV coverage - Rod Studd as anchor, Mark Wilson commentating and Kyle Amor as touchline reporter. Oh and to summarise…Garry Schofield.

As this whole thread suggests there is a wide variety of opinion, personally I just think we need something fresh. What Channel 4 do, they normally do well IMHO, so will be interesting to see which direction they head….as long as it’s not Garry Schofield 😂

4 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

In this week’s League Express, Garry Schofield has humbly suggested the following panel to spice up TV coverage - Rod Studd as anchor, Mark Wilson commentating and Kyle Amor as touchline reporter. Oh and to summarise…Garry Schofield.

As this whole thread suggests there is a wide variety of opinion, personally I just think we need something fresh. What Channel 4 do, they normally do well IMHO, so will be interesting to see which direction they head….as long as it’s not Garry Schofield 😂

There's no chance they will have an all male line up imo

5 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Mark Wilson who did the wheelchair tests is a pretty good commentator tbf. Really come into his own the last couple of years.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Mark Wilson who did the wheelchair tests is a pretty good commentator tbf. Really come into his own the last couple of years.

Of the names he suggests I can’t say that I am actually familiar with Mark Wilson, might have heard him and not realised. It was more Studd and Schofield that I objected too. Amor I like but I am biased, would be an interesting spin on the BBC’s on pitch work of Robbie Paul, if they got Amor to report whilst playing 😂.

16 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Some background to the deal with the Ch4 head of sport. Going out to tender in the production, including the commentary team, and no highlights package. Interesting they get the 2nd choice and Sky the 3rd: 

https://www.totalrl.com/channel-4-welcomed-with-open-arms/

In news coverage, when the national media arrive at a scene, they will often defer to a local reporter for background detail. That person could be an ignorant fool, but they are not to know.

I hope whoever prevails in the Ch 4 tender process doesn`t follow a similar "take me to your leader" approach. RL has always been afflicted with this due to our outsider/underground/regional status.

When the game was featured on Radio 4`s Saturday morning sports show, Colin Welland was their go-to. The BBC clearly couldn`t think of anyone else. The only departure I recall was a Clive James vignette during a Kangaroos tour comparing Mal Meninga to Reg Gasnier, whom apparently James was at school with.

Those at the production company who know little about RL, if they want to sample precedent, should immerse themselves in Fox League. The only value in checking out UK coverage is for guidance on who and what to avoid.

Haven`t read all of this thread, so don`t know if Clive Tyldesley has been mentioned. On Granada in the early 90s he was the best English RL lead commentator I`ve heard. Getting on a bit now (67, according to Wiki), but it would set a bona fide journalist benchmark for anyone following.

On 27/11/2021 at 01:15, burnleywelsh said:

Yakki-daa…?? What’s your problem with the Welsh language? At least you could’ve spelt it correctly. CornwallRL…I’d have thought you’d have more respect for a fellow Celtic tongue.. perhaps you’re not a proper Kernowyon.

I think JD is great (BTW Welsh is his first language as well) 

Paul

I really hope we take advantage of this, the possibilities are endless if we get this right.

We need to get the characters of the players over to the public, we need to sell the players as much as the game in my opinion. This could be Fifa style player ratings. i.e SPEED, AGILITY, TACKLING, PASSING, AGGRESSION, ENDURANCE, KICKING etc

I really hope the advertisements are hard hitting and show how elite these athletes are. 

My favourite old advertisement was this one, Something modern on this would be fantastic

47 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Brilliant, may as well get whippet racing and black pudding eating at half time “tha knors”. 🙄

One of the production companies who might to be tendering is the one run by former SKY producer Neville Smith (In Touch productions). Who also did the production for the OurLeague games and Women's SL.

So maybe expect Eddie and Stevo to come out retirement.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Very selfless of Garry to only put himself forward for one of those jobs.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

45 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

One of the production companies who might to be tendering is the one run by former SKY producer Neville Smith (In Touch productions). Who also did the production for the OurLeague games and Women's SL.

So maybe expect Eddie and Stevo to come out retirement.

Nooooo! 

Archived