Channel 4 to broadcast live Super League

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Damn it! Didn't show it on that ad break! Only 15 minutes until the next one! 

Man you’re taking one for the team watching the whole of Sunday Brunch! Have they done the King of the Tin biscuit feature yet - the programme is car crash tv, so bad you have to just keep watching it.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Man you’re taking one for the team watching the whole of Sunday Brunch! Have they done the King of the Tin biscuit feature yet - the programme is car crash tv, so bad you have to just keep watching it.

No idea, I aren't watching the actual programme, just playing games on my phone while it's on and watching when the ads come on. 

I’ve seen quite a few people “celebrating” Rugby League being advertised during a Rugby Union game as if it’s a win for Rugby League. I’d love for this sport to lose its inferiority complex and it’s chip on its shoulder. Rugby Union fans aren’t typically anti-League in the way League fans are anti-Union. Those I know are quite excited that there’s more Rugby on free to air TV that they can watch. 

11 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’ve seen quite a few people “celebrating” Rugby League being advertised during a Rugby Union game as if it’s a win for Rugby League. I’d love for this sport to lose its inferiority complex and it’s chip on its shoulder. Rugby Union fans aren’t typically anti-League in the way League fans are anti-Union. Those I know are quite excited that there’s more Rugby on free to air TV that they can watch. 

They say they like RL, but they aways break cover when they get frustrated when a RL player runs with the ball rather than kicking it as hard as they can off the pitch.... it gives them away every time.

4 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Damn it, wasn't on that one either! However I did turn over to +1 right after that break and the ad break Futtocks must have seen was on and I caught it! Only half hour of this rubbish show left so might as well watch the rest and see if it's shown again. 😁

This may mean that Sunday Brunch start inviting RL players onto the show to help promote the coverage - we could have John Bateman cooking poached eggs on the show by the middle of February- roll on C4 coverage!

3 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

They say they like RL, but they aways break cover when they get frustrated when a RL player runs with the ball rather than kicking it as hard as they can off the pitch.... it gives them away every time.

Yeah, you’ve proven my point. Let it go. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

They don’t know when to clap if you run with it. 

25 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Rugby League fans, are sick to death of the opposite.

Rugby Union ads, appearing alongside RL articles, features, and video's on line, on tv, all over the place, are ubiquitous. 

It's a function of the large sums of money that RaRa has to ''market'' their drudgery and they obviously see RL fans as prime targets.

It's interpreted by RL fans as an attempt to undermine our game ( and rightly so) so it rankles.

Seeing the opposite, is a very rare (and very welcome) occurrence indeed and for them (the dark side), a long overdue, taste of their own medicine. 

34 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’ve seen quite a few people “celebrating” Rugby League being advertised during a Rugby Union game as if it’s a win for Rugby League. 

Rugby league being advertised in front of people who might be interested in watching rugby league but who would otherwise not know it's on - i.e. rugby union fans watching Channel 4 - is a win for rugby league.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

41 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

It is a fairly mindless, undemanding start to Sunday, but Simon Rimmer often comes up with good recipes. Outside the NRL season, I watch it fairly often. Occasionally, they get some good guests, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

37 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Being please about RL being advertised in a RU game is not an inferiority complex. Many are glad to just see the sport advertised in any way.

I've also come across plenty of RU fans who are every bit as anti-RL as some RL fans are towards RU. This very much works both ways.

2 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Rugby Union ads, appearing alongside RL articles, features, and video's on line, on tv, all over the place, are ubiquitous. 

It's a function of the large sums of money that RaRa has to ''market'' their drudgery and they obviously see RL fans as prime targets.

It's interpreted by RL fans as an attempt to undermine our game ( and rightly so) so it rankles.

Seeing the opposite, is a very rare (and very welcome) occurrence indeed and for them (the dark side), a long overdue, taste of their own medicine. 

Sky Sports seem to shoehorn all sorts of RU fluff into the breaks of their RL coverage, especially when they show NRL.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

Are they? I can’t say I’ve ever been fed up by Rugby Union adverts or Rugby Union being on the tele. Jealous that they get such a casual audience for their big events? Yeah. Fed up? No. 

They don’t see Rugby League as any kind of target and I can’t say I’ve ever felt undermined by them. Rugby Union is unequivocally a far greater sport than Rugby League (in terms of clubs, participance, finances, TV audiences etc), it’s going to get more coverage in the same way we get far greater coverage than smaller UK sports. 

It’s this sort of attitude that you’re expelling that’s part of the problem. They’re largely not bothered by Rugby League in this day and age and plenty watch, play or have played Rugby League and quite enjoy it at its best. They’re not two headed monsters intent on squashing Rugby League. Far from it. The perception here is exactly that, however. 

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Rugby league being advertised in front of people who might be interested in watching rugby league but who would otherwise not know it's on - i.e. rugby union fans watching Channel 4 - is a win for rugby league.

They’re not celebrating that. I see it as exactly how you’ve described but plenty of comments and comment sections I’ve read have taken this as “haha Union will hate that” and as though it’s some sort of dig at Union when it’s just a television channel advertising a sport they’re showing live during a programme where they’re showing sport live. 

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Being please about RL being advertised in a RU game is not an inferiority complex. Many are glad to just see the sport advertised anyway.

I've also come across plenty of RU fans who are every bit as anti-RL as some RL fans are towards RU. This very much works both ways.

Certainly does go both ways, you only need to be on the Internet 5 minutes reading RL news articles to see a load of anti-RL rhetoric in the comments sections. The place that was the worst for it was BBC comments sections, don't know what they're like now cos I haven't been on them for years. 

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Being please about RL being advertised in a RU game is not an inferiority complex. Many are glad to just see the sport advertised in any way.

They’re not celebrating it for what I’d say is the right reasons. They’re not celebrating Rugby League getting prime time advertising on a free to air channel, they’re celebrating Rugby League being advertised during Rugby Union coverage as if it’s some sort of dig at Union when it’s just Channel 4 advertising sport whilst showing sport. 

That’s lovely. I said “Rugby Union fans aren’t typically anti-League”, it’s not all of them but the percentage of anti-Union League fans seems greater, in my experience, than anti-League Union fans. 

8 minutes ago, Jughead said:

They don’t see Rugby League as any kind of target and I can’t say I’ve ever felt undermined by them. 

Unless they're, you know, conspiring with their national government to get RL banned / not insured / to have to change its name, or liberally sprinkling broken glass across a field before a RL match is due to take place on it. You are either very naive or Dutoni.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

They’re not celebrating it for what I’d say is the right reasons. They’re not celebrating Rugby League getting prime time advertising on a free to air channel, they’re celebrating Rugby League being advertised during Rugby Union coverage as if it’s some sort of dig at Union when it’s just Channel 4 advertising sport whilst showing sport. 

That’s lovely. I said “Rugby Union fans aren’t typically anti-League”, it’s not all of them but the percentage of anti-Union League fans seems greater, in my experience, than anti-League Union fans. 

Whose this they? You seem to be making sweeping generalisations based on the comments of a few fans and equating this to the entire sport.

I know what you said, you made a sweeping generalisation of what RL and RU fans are. Your experience is obviously different than mine, and others. Don't be surprised if others have a different opinion.

Just now, Just Browny said:

Unless they're, you know, conspiring with their national government to get RL banned / not insured / to have to change its name, or liberally sprinkling broken glass across a field before a RL match is due to take place on it. You are either very naive or Dutoni.

You’re saying that’s going on now in this country? I’d be interested to see evidence of such, in all honesty. 

I think the only thing hardcore RL fans might have to tolerate in the Channel 4 coverage is that they might try hard to reach out to casual or new fans.

I would welcome this even if it meant we were being told to suck eggs a bit as long time fans when things are being analysed.

My big hope is that they do for us what they did for the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Whose this they? You seem to be making sweeping generalisations based on the comments of a few fans and equating this to the entire sport.

I know what you said, you made a sweeping generalisation of what RL and RU fans are. Your experience is obviously different than mine, and others. Don't be surprised if others have a different opinion.

I’ve seen Rugby League fans celebrating an advert as if it’s a dig at Union and nothing more than the sports element of a free to air channel advertising another element of their sports coverage. That’s not a sweeping generalisation.

That’s great. The younger generation aren’t particularly bothered in the way my father’s and grandfather’s era were. My grandad was “run out” of Union clubs in the 70’s when they knew he was a scout for a rugby league club but times change and the experiences now are generally pretty different to years gone by. Times change. 

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

I’ve seen Rugby League fans celebrating an advert as if it’s a dig at Union and nothing more than the sports element of a free to air channel advertising another element of their sports coverage. That’s not a sweeping generalisation.

That’s great. The younger generation aren’t particularly bothered in the way my father’s and grandfather’s era were. My grandad was “run out” of Union clubs in the 70’s when they knew he was a scout for a rugby league club but times change and the experiences now are generally pretty different to years gone by. Times change. 

Times do change, it was 11.50 when you made your first statement and this discussion about who has the most petty fans began and its now an hour later and its still going on. 

4 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Times do change, it was 11.50 when you made your first statement and this discussion about who has the most petty fans began and its now an hour later and its still going on. 

You upset Sunday Brunch has ended, pal? It’ll be back next week, don’t worry. 

Archived