Channel 4 to broadcast live Super League

7 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’ve seen Rugby League fans celebrating an advert as if it’s a dig at Union and nothing more than the sports element of a free to air channel advertising another element of their sports coverage. That’s not a sweeping generalisation.

That’s great. The younger generation aren’t particularly bothered in the way my father’s and grandfather’s era were. My grandad was “run out” of Union clubs in the 70’s when they knew he was a scout for a rugby league club but times change and the experiences now are generally pretty different to years gone by. Times change. 

You have made plenty of sweeping generalisations on the last page. Its disingenuous to say otherwise. Its all there in black and white. These generalisations bizarrely are all to post RL and its fans in a negative light and RU and its fans in a positive light. As I said its all there for anyone to view.

You seem to have an awfully fixed opinion and don't take on board the experiences and the views of others. Now you are moving the goalposts talking irrelevant nonsense about the younger generation and the 70s. Completely irrelevant to peoples experiences now, that you fail to acknowledge, and the fact there are RU fans who are every bit as anti-RL as some RL fans are towards RU. You should try and be a bit more open minded.

Its awfully weird how you are trying to turn people's positivity regarding RL on Channel 4 into a negative by attacking RL fans and the sport.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Damien said:

You have made plenty of sweeping generalisations on the last page. Its disingenuous to say otherwise. Its all there in black and white. These generalisations bizarrely are all to post RL and its fans in a negative light and RU and its fans in a positive light. As I said its all there for anyone to view.

You seem to have an awfully fixed opinion and don't take on board the experiences and the views of others. Now you are moving the goalposts talking irrelevant nonsense about the younger generation and the 70s. Completely irrelevant to peoples experiences now, that you fail to acknowledge, and the fact there are RU fans who are every bit as anti-RL as some RL fans are towards RU. You should try and be a bit more open minded.

Its awfully weird how you are trying to turn people's positivity regarding RL on Channel 4 into a negative by attacking RL fans and the sport.

If the shoe fits, eh? Plenty of Rugby League fans have a massive chip on their shoulder regarding Union and it’s rarely reciprocated, even less so in the age category I’m in. A lad I watch Rugby League with has played Union since he was about 5, as the access to League sides wasn’t there till his late teens. He often wears his Union clubs gear to League games in the colder months. The abuse and general nonsense spouted about Union is always, without fail from angry, grey haired old fellas sat in pubs. These are the same people that think The RFL picks the Super League winner, that Super League refs are “bent” and other nonsensical rubbish that’s the scourge of the sport. Our age group it’s not even mentioned and that includes other grounds and friends we have from other clubs. Also, I live in an area that’s not Rugby League territory despite its closeness to it and the local RU side are the only sport of any decent level in town. Everyone I know involved with the Union side has no real negative feeling towards League and many watch and occasionally attend League games whilst at least five play League, quite enjoying the physicality and toil on the players. If there is any ill feeling, it’ll be old men. Having also played and coached (badly) the League side at Uni, their was a friendship between the two rugby sides and that was the same at the Uni’s, I’m told, by a couple of close friends. 

The inferiority complex is evident throughout this sport and needs dropping if we are to ever properly move on and I say that as someone who’s not a Union fan and has been to one game in my life. Seeing an advert as anything other than the sporting arm of a TV channel advertising another sport during their coverage of sport is evidence of that.

But yeah, you can continue generalising yourself. Rugby League has a problem with elements of its fanbase. A change is needed and has been for some time. 

8 minutes ago, Jughead said:

If the shoe fits, eh? Plenty of Rugby League fans have a massive chip on their shoulder regarding Union and it’s rarely reciprocated, even less so in the age category I’m in. A lad I watch Rugby League with has played Union since he was about 5, as the access to League sides wasn’t there till his late teens. He often wears his Union clubs gear to League games in the colder months. The abuse and general nonsense spouted about Union is always, without fail from angry, grey haired old fellas sat in pubs. These are the same people that think The RFL picks the Super League winner, that Super League refs are “bent” and other nonsensical rubbish that’s the scourge of the sport. Our age group it’s not even mentioned and that includes other grounds and friends we have from other clubs. Also, I live in an area that’s not Rugby League territory despite its closeness to it and the local RU side are the only sport of any decent level in town. Everyone I know involved with the Union side has no real negative feeling towards League and many watch and occasionally attend League games whilst at least five play League, quite enjoying the physicality and toil on the players. If there is any ill feeling, it’ll be old men. Having also played and coached (badly) the League side at Uni, their was a friendship between the two rugby sides and that was the same at the Uni’s, I’m told, by a couple of close friends. 

The inferiority complex is evident throughout this sport and needs dropping if we are to ever properly move on and I say that as someone who’s not a Union fan and has been to one game in my life. Seeing an advert as anything other than the sporting arm of a TV channel advertising another sport during their coverage of sport is evidence of that.

But yeah, you can continue generalising yourself. Rugby League has a problem with elements of its fanbase. A change is needed and has been for some time. 

More irrelevant generalisations based on your small circle. Another post full of plenty of RL fans do this and that and full of the mythological 'they'. You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder when it comes to RL fans and the sport.

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

I’ve seen quite a few people “celebrating” Rugby League being advertised during a Rugby Union game as if it’s a win for Rugby League. I’d love for this sport to lose its inferiority complex and it’s chip on its shoulder. Rugby Union fans aren’t typically anti-League in the way League fans are anti-Union. Those I know are quite excited that there’s more Rugby on free to air TV that they can watch. 

Let me get this correct, you actually know people from the dark side, and what is more  you must converse with them to learn they are quite excited at having more RL broadcast?

You have got a nerve coming on this forum, how dare you.

17 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Obviously you've made the academically fatal error of assuming this is just about sport.

26 minutes ago, Jughead said:

You are embarrassingly naive.

You've never personally experienced their ostracism, vilification, hypocrisy, underhand tactics and overt prejudices.

Well I have and so have many on this forum.

You are trying to tell us based on your worldly experiences they're all nice and fluffy and cuddly. Dream on.

You are basing your opinions on some spotty lads you've met down the park. The RU hierarchy are a very different animal indeed.

If they could still get away with their monstrous treatment of our people they wouldn't have changed one bit.

The only reason they've made any concessions at all is because they've had the spotlight shined on their vile prejudices and so they had to change. You probably know they banned professional RL players ( but did you know they even banned amateur RL players) whilst covertly, financially compensating their own players. It was the advent of Super League which caused RaRa to turn professional, for fear of being swept away. 

They are as fascist an organisation as they ever were, and their old school network runs deep, believe you me.

How long is it since rugby league has been allowed in the forces? Explain that, boy?

If you want to come on here and wag your finger and pontificate to people who've lived through these injustices you'd better grow up a bit. 

Just now, fighting irish said:

You've never personally experienced their ostracism, vilification, hypocrisy, underhand tactics and overt prejudices.

You are trying to tell us based on your worldly experiences they're all nice and fluffy and cuddly. Dream on.

You are basing your opinions on some spotty lads you've met down the park. The RU hierarchy are a very different animal indeed.

If they could still get away with their monstrous treatment of our people they wouldn't have changed one bit.

The only reason they've made any concessions at all is because they've had the spotlight shined on their vile prejudices and so they had to change. You probably know they banned professional RL players ( but did you know they even amateur RL players) whilst covertly, financially compensating their own players. It was the advent of Super League which caused RaRa to turn professional, for fear of being swept away. 

They are as fascist an organisation as they ever were, and their old school network runs deep, believe you me.

How long is it since rugby league has been allowed in the forces? Explain that, boy?

If you want to come on here and wag your finger and pontificate to people who've lived through these injustices you'd better grow up a bit. 

This is the exact point I’m making about Rugby League’s fanbase and while I’m at it, being condescending isn’t a good look. 

At no point have I said Rugby Union is crystal clean, in fact Rugby League isn’t either. As you’ve also pointed out, times change and it’s Rugby League fans holding on to the past (sounds familiar, eh?) and still attempting petty point scoring whereas Rugby Union goes from strength to strength, for what we think is an inferior product, we’ve shrunk as a sport and are now told to be happy that we’ve lost money by a chairman of a leading club. 

You’ve completely summed my point up though, so thank you for that. Point scoring and living in the past is the Rugby League mantra and it’s a factor, along with many, many others, why we’re where we are as a sport. Rugby League has suffered. We know that. We know the history and we relive it every opportunity some get. The sooner Rugby League let’s go, moves on and welcomes change and the new (yes, I even mean clubs who don’t play in pit villages and people who don’t drink in antiquated, falling to pieces working mens clubs), we’ll start seeing evidential changes. 

But anyway, up the Channel 4 production and let’s hope nobody over 50 is involved in presenting. 

9 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

The only reason they've made any concessions at all is because they've had the spotlight shined on their vile prejudices and so they had to change. You probably know they banned professional RL players ( but did you know they even banned amateur RL players) whilst covertly, financially compensating their own players. It was the advent of Super League which caused RaRa to turn professional, for fear of being swept away. 

It is a small minority in rugby union that are anti-rugby league. The vast majority are fine.

But, that small minority are very, very determined about it.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

The guy has made about 5 posts,  dont feed the troll.  There is a odd tendency when people talk about union or in cross code forum to not seem to comprehend that one experience or the 5 lads they know is as statistically useful as a chocolate teapot. 

We must use events of 40+ years ago as relevant and new. I’m sorry, I forgot. 

It's a shame a thread about Channel 4 covering Rugby League has descended into a cross-code barney, which I do not have time to moderate right now.

If anyone wants to start a new thread about Channel 4's coverage of RUGBY LEAGUE, and only that, please do.

If anyone wants to have a cross-code barney, get thee hence to the cross-code forum and fill yer boots, but don't do it in here.

Thanks.

Archived