Any other bits knocking about?

The Art of Hand and Foot

They don't make flood lights like they used. Its amazing where our old ground is scattered. Get the OMBC buy & donate the old gas works or Seddon Atkinson's old place. we could get a digger on there and make a pitch, and a car park, gradually building a terracing with the revenue from what the Car park would make. that would do. Start from the bottom and work our way up.

I believe that one James Quinn is still knocking about. Not sure he needs resurrecting though. No offence.

There's a piece of turf still growing well in the back garden of my old house in Stockton on Tees- we could negotiate with the current owners for that; but removing it would probably knock the house price down to four figures.

We always stood in the main stand behind the posts and on the day 'sheddings died, I put my lad on my shoulders and pulled off the exit sign that we had passed under for years - that's now on my shed door.

I went back during the week after. The pitch had gone, the main stand had been dropped. I picked up a red and white brick from the back of "my stand" and another from the pavilion. They are safely stored again in my "'sheddings" shed!

To add to the collection I took five pieces of ivy from the players entrance. Four died but one is now covering my garden fence.

Memories!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Bert Street said:

Those floodlights, if not the scaffolding, were quite new. Watched a video of a win over St Helens in the mid 80s which was their grand opening.

Bert.  Weren't those floodlights installed in 1967 around the time when we used to play in the televised Tuesday evening games for the BBC2 'Floodlit Cup' ? ? ?

13 hours ago, ArthurO said:

Bert.  Weren't those floodlights installed in 1967 around the time when we used to play in the televised Tuesday evening games for the BBC2 'Floodlit Cup' ? ? ?

That predates me.

The fixture I remember was a Friday night match vs St Helens. Great game. Won narrowly. Chris Phelan and Chris Arkwright sent off. Televised by Granada and the lights had been specifically upgraded. Whether that was just new bulbs?..... but they might have had to increase the capacity to use more powerful ones.

It does occur that the pylons were very well designed for Watersheddings as the steelwork appeared very narrow and therefore much less vulnerable to strong winds.

7 hours ago, Bert Street said:

It does occur that the pylons were very well designed for Watersheddings as the steelwork appeared very narrow and therefore much less vulnerable to strong winds.

Bert. Their 'narrow design' was indeed well suited to the strong winds that inflicted themselves upon our spiritual home. But, the wind resistance of the pylons (down both sides of the pitch) would actually have been a secondary benefit. The primary reason for their 'minimal use of steelwork' was, as I remember, one of cost i.e. they were the 'lowest cost' practical option. Rapidly manufactured, small, easy to install and cheap to maintain. It was originally suggested that big pylon-lights should be placed at each of the four corners of the ground. But that suggestion was rejected for 'economic' reasons. As a result the lights that we had were adequate, but far from perfect. 

On 25/11/2021 at 10:57, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Does anyone know of any other bits knocking about?

Arty: As a matter of interest, I've got a lifetime of ORLFC 'memories' knocking about.

Does that count ? ?

9 hours ago, ArthurO said:

Arty: As a matter of interest, I've got a lifetime of ORLFC 'memories' knocking about.

Does that count ? ?

More than anything and that's why we need a traditional home of our own, so those memories can be passed on to a younger generation. Oral traditions, battles won and fought etc,are something we need to resurrect before they are gone forever.

13 hours ago, ArthurO said:

Bert. Their 'narrow design' was indeed well suited to the strong winds that inflicted themselves upon our spiritual home. But, the wind resistance of the pylons (down both sides of the pitch) would actually have been a secondary benefit. The primary reason for their 'minimal use of steelwork' was, as I remember, one of cost i.e. they were the 'lowest cost' practical option. Rapidly manufactured, small, easy to install and cheap to maintain. It was originally suggested that big pylon-lights should be placed at each of the four corners of the ground. But that suggestion was rejected for 'economic' reasons. As a result the lights that we had were adequate, but far from perfect. 

A scandalous response. I cannot for one second imagine the custodians of our club would ever have gone for the cheap option when faced with ground renovation. They were clearly early environmentalists, committed to using fewer of the earth's precious resources.

In later days they even provided carbon neutral air condtioning in the female toilets on the Herbert Street side. There were holes in the roof!

2 hours ago, Bert Street said:

A scandalous response. I cannot for one second imagine the custodians of our club would ever have gone for the cheap option when faced with ground renovation. They were clearly early environmentalists, committed to using fewer of the earth's precious resources.

In later days they even provided carbon neutral air condtioning in the female toilets on the Herbert Street side. There were holes in the roof!

The holes on the roof were pre- covid ventilation slots. As ever ORLFC were  ahead of the times.

22 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Oh yeah? How did you know there were holes in the female toilets? 🤔

You know the rugby wasn't great some days!

Alternatively, I received bitter complaint from my wife, a late convert, who loved the place. Watersheddings that is, not its sanitary facilities.

Archived