Ian Lucas Injury

I watched this one recently too. He took a nasty elbow/forearm to the head from Paul Harragon. Not sure what the full extent of his injuries were but it took quite some time for him to come round while on the pitch.

it was a dirty shot from Harragon.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

26 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

I was watching the First Test from the 1992 GB tour earlier. I remembered the fact that Ian Lucas was stretchered off but I can't remember his actual injuries. It looked like a very bad one but it didn't stop the ref, Hale, shouting at Lucas to "get up".

Does anyone remember what his injuries were?

Cheap Shot from "The Chief" what I recall albeit nigh on 30 years could be clouding my memory it was some injury to the vertebrae at the top of the spine.

The irony....the Australian media attacked David Hobbs for his elbow on Greg Conescu in the 1984 First Test. He was rightly sent off.

Harrogan being a media darling got very little negativity for this incident. Remained on the field also from memory.

Not sure Harragon was even penalised. One of the most shameful, disgraceful and disgusting incidents in the history of these games.  Pretty sure there'll be a clip of it somewhere on YouTube.

Still, we're getting our revenge. Minogue is moving back to Australia.

Seem to remember (distant memory) it was by the days standard not that bad a tackle, Harragon swinging arm, Lucas ducked under it and got hit /scuff over the top of the head that jolted his neck which did the damage. It was the type of tackle that often was not penalised back in the day. 
plenty of far worse incidents before and after gone unpunished.  Mcdermotts elbow on Sironen springs yo mind 2 years later.

not saying it was  right  though ended a guys career and should gave been a  yellow and would probably be a 1 match ban if happened now.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Harragon deliberately assaulted Lucas and ended his career. Harragon, as you would expect, got away with it 

Harragon didn't get away with it, Andy Platt made sure of that.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

57 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Seem to remember (distant memory) it was by the days standard not that bad a tackle, Harragon swinging arm, Lucas ducked under it and got hit /scuff over the top of the head that jolted his neck which did the damage. It was the type of tackle that often was not penalised back in the day. 
plenty of far worse incidents before and after gone unpunished.  Mcdermotts elbow on Sironen springs yo mind 2 years later.

not saying it was  right  though ended a guys career and should gave been a  yellow and would probably be a 1 match ban if happened now.

But it wasn't like that. It was a deliberate strike on top of Lucas's head.   Yes but whataboutwhataboutwhatabout....

Just watched the full game.

The problem with the Harragon shot on Lucas is that the game was littered with similar high shots from both sides. Some were penalised (Harrogan was) and some not and only one player (Andy Gregory) was binned for what was by no means the worst shot of the night.

The incident had a terrible impact on Lucas and I am not in any way making light of that but the problem with saying that the Harrogan shot was worse than maybe a dozen others was the result rather than the action and its really difficult to referee like that.

But looking back on this game from 2021, the referee shouting to a clearly distressed Lucas to get up is horrible.  Worth remembering that when we get frustrated with games stopping today for on field head checks.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

I watched this one recently too. He took a nasty elbow/forearm to the head from Paul Harragon. Not sure what the full extent of his injuries were but it took quite some time for him to come round while on the pitch.

it was a dirty shot from Harragon.

Well

He is now a very successful businessman

So did nt do him any harm

Interesting comments from Matty John's on how this changed Harragon:

“Pre-1992 Chief was a wild dog and he was doing as much damage to his own teammates and the opposition because he would run in so crazily.

“In a pivotal moment in Chief’s career and life in 1992, Australia played Great Britain who had this young front-rower called Ian Lucas who was the Paul Harragon of Wigan.

“Ian Lucas took the ball up off a tap and Chief hit him with everything and knocked Lucas out really badly.

“Lucas was knocked out for about 15 minutes and he never played again and it scared Chief.”

Ironically, this incident preceded Harragon’s rivalry with Carroll, but Johns believes their feud could have been even more explosive had Chief not been scarred from the Lucas tackle.

“After the Lucas incident I would see these other young front-rowers go up against Chief and I always got the feeling that Chief held a little bit back,” Johns said.

“Often times with those Chief and Spud fights in and around 1995 you see Chief grab Spud and pull him in, but not throw a punch.

“He’d grab Spud and pull him in and I reckon it was a decision he made that he wasn’t going to do that sort of damage again.”

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rugby-league/matty-johns-reveals-extent-of-infamous-feud-between-paul-harragon-and-mark-carroll-ng-d7beece70af83c361297930fe4acc4a1

1 hour ago, Live after death said:

Didn’t Bradley Clyde get sent of in 94 for trying to decapitate Shaun Edwards arm!!! 

You can't decapitate someone's arm, the word means to behead someone. 

Amputate, or dislocate would be useable.

1 hour ago, The storm said:

Well

He is now a very successful businessman

So did nt do him any harm

Well, that's ok then. The authorities are clearly wasting their time investigating links between headshots and MND, dementia etc. 

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Interesting comments from Matty John's on how this changed Harragon:

“Pre-1992 Chief was a wild dog and he was doing as much damage to his own teammates and the opposition because he would run in so crazily.

“In a pivotal moment in Chief’s career and life in 1992, Australia played Great Britain who had this young front-rower called Ian Lucas who was the Paul Harragon of Wigan.

“Ian Lucas took the ball up off a tap and Chief hit him with everything and knocked Lucas out really badly.

“Lucas was knocked out for about 15 minutes and he never played again and it scared Chief.”

Ironically, this incident preceded Harragon’s rivalry with Carroll, but Johns believes their feud could have been even more explosive had Chief not been scarred from the Lucas tackle.

“After the Lucas incident I would see these other young front-rowers go up against Chief and I always got the feeling that Chief held a little bit back,” Johns said.

“Often times with those Chief and Spud fights in and around 1995 you see Chief grab Spud and pull him in, but not throw a punch.

“He’d grab Spud and pull him in and I reckon it was a decision he made that he wasn’t going to do that sort of damage again.”

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/rugby-league/matty-johns-reveals-extent-of-infamous-feud-between-paul-harragon-and-mark-carroll-ng-d7beece70af83c361297930fe4acc4a1

I  googled the incident after re-watching the game and found that article. 

From memory i think Lucas played on for a season or two, i may be wrong, but then hung up his boots.
There was certainly some ill feeling towards Harragon in the 2nd test. Understandably.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Archived