Real wigan starting 17

I was wondering if the new wigan coaching team were just keeping us guessing with the squad nunbers recently announced 

I think Cade Cust will end up at 7 with Jai field at 6.

I also think Bradley Oneil will also be heavily involved at 9. 

Pearce Paul will be in rhe 2nd row 

Morgan Smithies will be at 13 even though some critics started to have a go last season 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The storm said:

I was wondering if the new wigan coaching team were just keeping us guessing with the squad nunbers recently announced 

Morgan Smithies will be at 13 even though some critics started to have a go last season 

Lots of trial and error will be going on at Wigan, the 3 fore mentioned have no form to speak off, Paul did very well last season but now has to kick on, the one thing that Smithies has not done since he burst onto the scene like a house on fire, you don't need to be a critic or an expert to see the lad needs to improve vastly to reach the potential he first exhibited, interestingly you seem to have ejected Harry Smith - England's next No 7 - after one season, but still pin hopes on Smithies after 3 season's!

22 minutes ago, The storm said:

Given their performances last season No 18 Fans might actually get a game.

Wigan are really interesting for the season ahead. Despite everything they still finished in a position fans of most clubs would be happy with but a new coaching group might just be what they need to get them challenging again. 

They had an element of bad luck with injuries last time out. Who knows how their new recruits will go but I think they will go into games with less expectation, from those outside the club anyway, which may give a bit of freedom from pressures. 
That group of young forwards has had another year’s experience and if the likes of Mago can fire them up in the right way then they could all live up to their potential. As an outsider looking in, I really felt the fitness and/or  discipline of Wigan’s more experienced forwards let them down badly last year (obvious exception of the always outstanding Farrell when he played in the forwards.)

Hopefully from an England perspective Harry Smith starts living up to his potential also but a pack on the front foot will definitely help with that.

In answer to the original question though, I think that starting 13/17 will take shape over the year. There’s lots of possibilities in that group.

Great to see Wigan giving a young British coach a chance. 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Lots of trial and error will be going on at Wigan, the 3 fore mentioned have no form to speak off, Paul did very well last season but now has to kick on, the one thing that Smithies has not done since he burst onto the scene like a house on fire, you don't need to be a critic or an expert to see the lad needs to improve vastly to reach the potential he first exhibited, interestingly you seem to have ejected Harry Smith - England's next No 7 - after one season, but still pin hopes on Smithies after 3 season's!

Ive watched harry smith closely 

He needs to be left to run the show and then he could be fantastic 

Morgan smithies had a bit of a difficult time last year and wigan fans were writing the lad off

Wigan fans have always been fickle and after a year without the ever impressive sean o loughlin, what did you seriously expect 

The critique reached to Liam Byrne, Oliver Partington, Joe Shorrocks, Morgan Smithies and even Kai Pearce Paul, all young british forwards 

Im not even a wigan fan but in one game last season the average age of the wigan pack last season was 22 and all were English 

That is a massive achievement 

I personally believe its wigans year in 2022

11 minutes ago, The storm said:

Ive watched harry smith closely 

He needs to be left to run the show and then he could be fantastic 

It’s a shame for me that he played under a great 1/2 but didn’t seem to progress, maybe that was down to the forwards not giving him the platform. I don’t know a lot about the new coach but presumably he has worked with Smith at some point at junior levels and knows what he is capable of. 

50 minutes ago, The storm said:

Morgan smithies had a bit of a difficult time last year and wigan fans were writing the lad off

Wigan fans have always been fickle and after a year without the ever impressive sean o loughlin, what did you seriously expect 

The critique reached to Liam Byrne, Oliver Partington, Joe Shorrocks, Morgan Smithies and even Kai Pearce Paul, all young british forwards 

Im not even a wigan fan but in one game last season the average age of the wigan pack last season was 22 and all were English 

That is a massive achievement 

I personally believe its wigans year in 2022

I don't know any Wigan fans that did this. It seems a huge exaggeration. 

3 minutes ago, The storm said:

You clearly dont go on the wigan fans forum 

Up your game 

I don't need to and its odd that you would make sweeping generalisations based on the odd post. It's even stranger that you would frequent a Wigan forum when you don't support them. Each to their own I guess.

I don't particularly give much credence to the odd post on an internet forum. Literally every player at every team gets criticised at some point.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I don't need to and its odd that you would make sweeping generalisations based on the odd post. It's even stranger that you would frequent a Wigan forum when you don't support them. Each to their own I guess.

I don't particularly give much credence to the odd post on an internet forum. Literally every player at every team gets criticised at some point.

I think you have been outed 

As someone who does not do his research 

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Is this the worst Wigan squad since the advent of SL? Looks so short of power and class.

I'm not sure about that - on paper maybe it isn't packed with superstar names but I think the young lads, particularly the likes of Pearce-Paul, Shorrocks etc. can do a job and have been impressive at times. I wouldn't be so sure its a bad side to be honest - if they lose the first three on the bounce heavily though feel free to drag this post up! But in short I'm not too worried at all with the squad.

I think we could genuinely finish anywhere between (and including) 1st and last. No one has the foggiest notion how good the NRL recruits will be, whether and when the injured/recovering players will be fully fit, whether the young lads will kick on and whether the new head coach is any good. 

18 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I think we could genuinely finish anywhere between (and including) 1st and last. No one has the foggiest notion how good the NRL recruits will be, whether and when the injured/recovering players will be fully fit, whether the young lads will kick on and whether the new head coach is any good. 

That is true 

But i predict wigan will take the glory in 2022

Leigh will win the championship 

Keighley will win league 1

Melbourne storm will top tge NRL and Xavier coates and selwyn Cobbo will be new world stars by the end of the year 

On 28/11/2021 at 08:26, Harry Stottle said:

interestingly you seem to have ejected Harry Smith - England's next No 7 - after one season, 

On last seasons form Smith wont be getting anywhere near a test shirt anytime soon. Fair enough he wasn't helped by plenty of poor performers around him but he had some real shockers himself. Looked like a little boy lost in a lot of games in 2021. Contrast that to someone like Pryce who's team also massively underperformed in a lot of games but he as an individual really stepped up. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

..on the other hand, he'll get the gig based on his kicking game and place kicking alone.  As we all know, he's been practicing all day every day during the off season, Botica style, as he strives to be the best. He videos everything, analyses his technique, tries different boots, even has his eyesight regularly tested. He's done "what-if" analysis where last season, successful goal kicking would have made the difference between losing and winning. 

....or maybe not.....🙂

22 hours ago, Tonka said:

Am a little disappointed, I thought this thread was about the new Spanish Super League side…

Big rivalry with Atletico.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived