Real wigan starting 17

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Cade Cust is the early bookies’ favourite for Man of Steel. Maybe, just maybe, they know what they are doing after all. 

Even as a Wigan fan I can’t understand that. It just seems horrendous value. He’s rumoured to be a pretty good player and could go well but how they make a guy with 30 NRL appearances spread over a few seasons favourite is beyond me. 

Tomkins at 33/1 with Cust at 8/1 is absolutely unbelievable. 

9 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Even as a Wigan fan I can’t understand that. It just seems horrendous value. He’s rumoured to be a pretty good player and could go well but how they make a guy with 30 NRL appearances spread over a few seasons favourite is beyond me. 

Tomkins at 33/1 with Cust at 8/1 is absolutely unbelievable. 

That aint bad going for a bloke nobody had heard of a few weeks ago

On 29/11/2021 at 20:31, Exiled Wiganer said:

Christ, Toppy in complete counsel of perfection “they don’t play for my team so they must be crucified” mode about Smith…

Since when did Will Pryce play for Saints, or Mikey Lewis for that matter, another young half back who i've praised several times on here ?

Take your pie tinted specs off and just accept Smith was p$%& poor most of last season, and of the all the young British half-backs coming through at the moment he's currently a long way down the list when it comes to consideration for an England squad place.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

14 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Cade Cust is the early bookies’ favourite for Man of Steel. Maybe, just maybe, they know what they are doing after all. 

Thats more likely to someone putting a decent sized bet on it though more than any analysis by the betting company.

On 29/11/2021 at 20:31, Exiled Wiganer said:

Christ, Toppy in complete counsel of perfection “they don’t play for my team so they must be crucified” mode about Smith…

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Since when did Will Pryce play for Saints, or Mikey Lewis for that matter, another young half back who i've praised several times on here ?

Take your pie tinted specs off and just accept Smith was p$%& poor most of last season, and of the all the young British half-backs coming through at the moment he's currently a long way down the list when it comes to consideration for an England squad place.

It’s true that Smith wasn’t good last season but he played behind a pack that was very rarely dominant and under a coach whose methods and team selection were strange to say the least. Let’s not write him off yet.

20 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

It’s true that Smith wasn’t good last season but he played behind a pack that was very rarely dominant and under a coach whose methods and team selection were strange to say the least. Let’s not write him off yet.

Lam had every tom, dick and harry controling thr plays, but not harry smith. 

This year he will be on fire 

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

If those halfbacks played behind last season’s Wigan pack they’d have struggled too,let’s face it Lomax had a reputation for disappearing in big games when the Saints pack weren’t able to dominate as usual.

Wigan pack after 7 or 8 rounds 

8 Patrick Mago

9 Bradley Oneil 

10 oliver Partington 

11 Kai Pearce Paul 

12 liam Farrell

13 John Bateman 

Subs

14 Liam Byrne

14 Joe Shorrocks 

14 Brad Sinlgleton 

17 sam powell/ Ellis

On 28/11/2021 at 11:30, The storm said:

Im not even a wigan fan but in one game last season the average age of the wigan pack last season was 22 and all were English 

That is a massive achievement 

It certainly was an achievement of sorts, but not in the way you mean.  More in the - wow how has it come to this sort of way.

If Wigan can keep a couple more key players for they will be a bigger threat but I can’t see them winning anything.

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

If those halfbacks played behind last season’s Wigan pack they’d have struggled too,

I'd stop digging now if I were you.

Hudds were truly awful in many games last year yet Pryce managed to shine, even behind a well beaten pack. Same couldn't be said for Smith. HKR weren't much better in some games yet Lewis also stood out in several of those.

Just accept it there were better performing young English halves in SL last season than Smith. 

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

If those halfbacks played behind last season’s Wigan pack they’d have struggled too,let’s face it Lomax had a reputation for disappearing in big games when the Saints pack weren’t able to dominate as usual.

I don’t think you’ll get much mileage from attempting to persuade them.

In Toppy’s eyes they were massively robbed by Ellery and co in the 27 0 final... 

Which is sweet in a way. MY TEAM IS ACE AND I LOVE THEM MORE THAN ANYONE EVER AND YOU ARE ALL RUBBISH! Is probably a healthy way to view the world. 

Harry Smith will stand a far better chance of becoming the player he should be under this new coaching team. He looked totally and utterly devoid of any sort of idea of what his role was last year and lost his confidence. Add in the fact he played on the back of a junior pack, who were playing against experienced men and it was pure Lam magic.

Even in a pretty horrible year for the lad he finished with 14 assists and 2 try’s, the same as Johnny Lomax and he had more assists than Jordan Abdull and Gareth Widdop, two players who had top seasons. It isn’t to say he was good but it’s a sign that there is real talent there.

He’ll kick on in 2022, no doubt whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I don’t think you’ll get much mileage from attempting to persuade them.

In Toppy’s eyes they were massively robbed by Ellery and co in the 27 0 final... 

Which is sweet in a way. MY TEAM IS ACE AND I LOVE THEM MORE THAN ANYONE EVER AND YOU ARE ALL RUBBISH! Is probably a healthy way to view the world. 

But he is quite entertaining at times,clueless but funny with it.

15 hours ago, Davo5 said:

But he is quite entertaining at times,clueless but funny with it.

Oh you are amusing sometimes. Lets face it anyone who thinks Harry Smith is England's next England half back based on his SL performances so far must be up for the award of comedian of the year !!!

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Oh you are amusing sometimes. Lets face it anyone who thinks Harry Smith is England's next England half back based on his SL performances so far must be up for the award of comedian of the year !!!

Pretty sure I’ve never said he’s England’s next halfback,he’s a very talented,young player who had a bad run of form in the second half of last season,as did most of his teammates & has the ability to bounce back & hopefully fulfills his potential,if that happens over the next few seasons then he will be knocking on the door of international honours.

On 02/12/2021 at 08:45, Saint Toppy said:

Smith played with a busted shoulder for most of the season. Immediately after Wigan's season ended he went for a shoulder reconstruction. 

That could well be the main reason he wasn't great as well as playing behind a beaten pack almost every week, having a head coach who was beyond clueless didn't help anyone at Wigan either.

Archived