Dual Reg

phildog

thought they had got rid of that, worst idea that RFL ever came up with, make teams have a- teams then they will be able to keep players match fit, maybe if it was used as it was intended in bringing through young players who maybe not ready for SL but need to play at a higher level than reserves to bring them on possibly a case but not so seasoned SL professionals as we have seen at the past at quite a few that use dual reg ,one club in particular then it creates an unlevel playing area.

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

41 minutes ago, redditchbulldog said:

thought they had got rid of that, worst idea that RFL ever came up with, make teams have a- teams then they will be able to keep players match fit, maybe if it was used as it was intended in bringing through young players who maybe not ready for SL but need to play at a higher level than reserves to bring them on possibly a case but not so seasoned SL professionals as we have seen at the past at quite a few that use dual reg ,one club in particular then it creates an unlevel playing area.

No ifs, no maybes DR is an absolute stain on our game and should never be part of our sport. To hear this news is totally depressing but not unexpected. 🤬

Can clubs just say NO, wont happen if they dont get involved?? lets play with what we have for me,its rubbish when you see some team rock up with 3 sl players that change the game in an instant.

BIN IT.

17 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

Bradford are partnering with Leeds to get players on loan ( minimum of 2 weeks ) not dual reg 

John Kear says some positive news is on the horizon for Bradford with the news that four players will be joining the club in the coming days. “If we have all four players available they'll be there or thereabouts for a place in the starting 17”

🤣

Levi has a squad number in the first team now so it's doubtful. It's not his position though where we need recruitment, we needed a couple of experienced forwards to help us around. We're mown out with backs, 4 who can play no1, at least 4 who can play wing, bit skinny on centres (should have got Logan back) and now got 3 halves.

1 hour ago, phildog said:

Levi has a squad number in the first team now so it's doubtful. It's not his position though where we need recruitment, we needed a couple of experienced forwards to help us around. We're mown out with backs, 4 who can play no1, at least 4 who can play wing, bit skinny on centres (should have got Logan back) and now got 3 halves.

Centre? I think we have Buchanan Walshaw Whiteley Morton have all played there in their careers 

our forwards will be fine if we keep fit and free I'm sure the club won’t wanna spend all the money straight away 

4 hours ago, phildog said:

Phil, as far as I remember Edwards first choice position is second row even though he turned out at centre for us.  Anyway, it's academic I guess from what you say.  It was a pleasure to see him in a Batley shirt though.

KTF IMO Walshaw is best in 2nd row not swapped round with Buchanan. Centres are Buchanan and Hodson, with DaleM in the mix, Whiteley is primarily a winger, why play blokes in an 'I'm OK there but...' although that's often the Batley way! As for forwards....one or two growing into the job, some on top of the game, some gone as far as they might and a bloke who last strapped on a boot 6 years ago coming back to strengthen us. Can they shoulder another year's improving effort? This is why I previously said elsewhere ' no further comment at this time' but you forced my hand. Ready for the bombs dropping but be sure I'm not alone in my thinking. Everybody moaned at me when I talked about ducks in a row after a brilliant season, backing up yet another fan already said he'd be happy finishing 7th. Really....

11 hours ago, phildog said:

KTF IMO Walshaw is best in 2nd row not swapped round with Buchanan. Centres are Buchanan and Hodson, with DaleM in the mix, Whiteley is primarily a winger, why play blokes in an 'I'm OK there but...' although that's often the Batley way! As for forwards....one or two growing into the job, some on top of the game, some gone as far as they might and a bloke who last strapped on a boot 6 years ago coming back to strengthen us. Can they shoulder another year's improving effort? This is why I previously said elsewhere ' no further comment at this time' but you forced my hand. Ready for the bombs dropping but be sure I'm not alone in my thinking. Everybody moaned at me when I talked about ducks in a row after a brilliant season, backing up yet another fan already said he'd be happy finishing 7th. Really....

Not quite what I said PD. I said I'd bite the hand off anyone who could guarantee us a seventh place finish, I stand by that.

Happy about it? No. Just being realistic.

Looking at the money spent in the division for the upcoming season, it would be a miracle if we were to finish any higher than that.

Pound for pound we have got one of the best teams in the division.

Problem is, we are not comparing like for like. We have probably spent pocket change in relative terms compared to what some of the other teams have. That is not a criticism of the BOD. We have probably spent more than we ever have, to tie up the better end of last season's squad. 

I have it on very good authority, Kopczak alone was on more money than our entire pack last season. I'd wager he isn't the top earner at Fev. Leigh will likely be spending close to what most SL teams do. Newcastle, Halifax, Bradford and York have all spent big money in a bid to book a place in the much publicised SL2, if/when it comes in.

Where do you suggest Batley get the money to finance a playing budget comparable to them?

Perhaps you know of a consortium of extremely wealthy business men with deep pockets itching to buy Kevin out? If so, I'd love to know who they are. 

Perhaps you know of a way to quadruple the attendances, and/or sponsorship for next season? 

What on earth makes you think we will finish higher than any of the teams mentioned?

That is not to say that it cannot happen, but I for one would be delighted if we were able to break in to the top 6. It would be certified sporting miracle if we do though.

11 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Not quite what I said PD. I said I'd bite the hand off anyone who could guarantee us a seventh place finish, I stand by that.

Happy about it? No. Just being realistic.

Looking at the money spent in the division for the upcoming season, it would be a miracle if we were to finish any higher than that.

Pound for pound we have got one of the best teams in the division.

Problem is, we are not comparing like for like. We have probably spent pocket change in relative terms compared to what some of the other teams have. That is not a criticism of the BOD. We have probably spent more than we ever have, to tie up the better end of last season's squad. 

I have it on very good authority, Kopczak alone was on more money than our entire pack last season. I'd wager he isn't the top earner at Fev. Leigh will likely be spending close to what most SL teams do. Newcastle, Halifax, Bradford and York have all spent big money in a bid to book a place in the much publicised SL2, if/when it comes in.

Where do you suggest Batley get the money to finance a playing budget comparable to them?

Perhaps you know of a consortium of extremely wealthy business men with deep pockets itching to buy Kevin out? If so, I'd love to know who they are. 

Perhaps you know of a way to quadruple the attendances, and/or sponsorship for next season? 

What on earth makes you think we will finish higher than any of the teams mentioned?

That is not to say that it cannot happen, but I for one would be delighted if we were able to break in to the top 6. It would be certified sporting miracle if we do though.

Good points made there. Also most of the teams you mention are giving 2yrs contracts. That is madness. There are so many unknown factors this season and next, they can't all go up. For what it's worth I feel the CLUB have got it about right . Acted quickly to maintain the key players, and added wisely without spending daft money, that they haven't got. 

I also remember David Ward saying a good team will always beat a team of names on higher money.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

If we are to to make SL2 in 2024 then we have to finish top 6 in 2023 which WILL demand money being spent this next close season.  The alternative is travels to Wales twice, The Midlands, London Skolars....yes, we might win that league, whatever it might be called, but then we're back to square trying to attract players to keep us up. The lower league, our big boast is never having been in it can be and has been a graveyard and a step towards The National Conference. Vicious circle so the bullet has to be bitten sometime.

25 minutes ago, phildog said:

If we are to to make SL2 in 2024 then we have to finish top 6 in 2023 which WILL demand money being spent this next close season.  The alternative is travels to Wales twice, The Midlands, London Skolars....yes, we might win that league, whatever it might be called, but then we're back to square trying to attract players to keep us up. The lower league, our big boast is never having been in it can be and has been a graveyard and a step towards The National Conference. Vicious circle so the bullet has to be bitten sometime.

Who says SL2 will go ahead? The clubs have to talk about again next year when the tv deal comes to an end if it doesn’t then a lot of clubs could be struggling 

1 hour ago, phildog said:

2 divisions of 10 equals 20 teams PD. There are 12 teams in SL as it stands, therefore an additional 8 teams are required.

I realise maths isn't your strong point, but this money you are demanding the club spends. Please can you explain where this money will come from? Sell the ground perhaps? It didn't work out too well for Bramley, Rochdale, Oldham or Swinton did it.

How easy do you think it would be to entice players if we made it to the proposed SL2? We would be facing 8, and quite possibly 9 out of 10 teams, all with far bigger playing budgets than ours. If you were a player and you were offered a £30k contract with us, and you look at the fixtures and think you are likely to pick up winning pay maybe 4-6 times over the season and very probably face relegation. Or, you were offered £25k with Wakefield for example, that might win 12 to 14 games a season and more than likely to be safe, which contract would you choose?

If we do go to 2 leagues of ten,then that means 8 championship clubs to go into the 2nd division of 10.

I am willing to bet anybody that those 8 clubs will be selected on an invitational basis.Any clubs final league position will mean Jack S@@t.If Widnes,York,Newcastle,Bradford or all the Cumbrian teams finished outside the 8.do you really think they would be cast aside. Dream on.

6 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

If we do go to 2 leagues of ten,then that means 8 championship clubs to go into the 2nd division of 10.

I am willing to bet anybody that those 8 clubs will be selected on an invitational basis.Any clubs final league position will mean Jack S@@t.If Widnes,York,Newcastle,Bradford or all the Cumbrian teams finished outside the 8.do you really think they would be cast aside. Dream on.

I quite agree, London or Cornwall might well be candidates too.

The point being, I'm not sure I would be particularly upset not being part of it, if it does come to fruition. Personally, I'd rather see competitive games at a lower level, rather than becoming whipping boys. 

I for one, hope this particular crackpot idea stays on the drawing board.

4 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I quite agree, London or Cornwall might well be candidates too.

The point being, I'm not sure I would be particularly upset not being part of it, if it does come to fruition. Personally, I'd rather see competitive games at a lower level, rather than becoming whipping boys. 

I for one, hope this particular crackpot idea stays on the drawing board.

Totally agree with you this is the stupidest idea I have heard in a long time.Trouble is,we don't know the consequences for the remaining clubs.Would it be possible to have a competetive 3rd tier competition if some clubs folded,which is very possible.

You can tell it's nearly Christmas when folk start arguing over something that doesn't actually exist.

Thinking of Santa, of course (apologies to anyone who didn't already know).

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Correct, I failed Maths O level twice, didn't think I'd ever need to use sine, cos and tan! Had forgotten only 12 clubs in current SL was working on same size as Championship. However my argument remains the same.

On 05/12/2021 at 21:32, phildog said:

Correct, I failed Maths O level twice, didn't think I'd ever need to use sine, cos and tan! Had forgotten only 12 clubs in current SL was working on same size as Championship. However my argument remains the same.

What argument? 

All I see is a statement about the club needing to spend huge sums of money to be able to compete, or we'll be playing at a lower level.

If only the BOD had your vision...

I'm sure everyone involved with the club from the board to the fans, would love nothing more than seeing us spend up to the salary cap every season.

The only snag in your master plan is, how the club generates the finances to be able to do so.

Perhaps you could lend the BOD the wealth of your knowledge, vision and business acumen to overcome this trivial little matter?

Archived