Two leagues of ten

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

1 poorly run club in London is proof of nothing. Big cities offer more than small towns. 

Not all cities are big.  Not all towns are small.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

21 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

1 poorly run club in London is proof of nothing. Big cities offer more than small towns. 

Small town with the surrounding communities steeped in rugby league v A city with no history of rugby league - How many different management teams has the team in London had.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Small town with the surrounding communities steeped in rugby league v A city with no history of rugby league - How many different management teams has the team in London had.

I think RL has to start looking at things differently.  There really should be a set criteria enforced and fulfilled before teams enter our leagues and/or continue to play in our leagues.

London ####### about from ground to ground isn’t really a sustainable plan.  Well, not if you want to grow the club and the game in the city.  

On 02/12/2021 at 15:54, Fevrover said:

Wigan,St Helens, Warrington, Huddersfield are not cities never mind big cities lol, you never fail to amaze me.

What you fail to realiise is that this 'Sir Kevin SInfield' character is a visionary: he stands taller and he sees further than ordinary mortals like you. So, yes, in the short to medium to long to very long to extremely long term, it will seem incongruous to have ambitious clubs from big cities competing alongside clubs from small towns in northern England that few outside of Rugby League have even heard of, but in the extremely long to infinite term, the 'they-offer-more' driven guaranteed success of this megaleague means that these small towns will, inevitably, be elevated to the status of Grand Throbbing Megatropolises (Megatropoli?), and we'll soon see them immortalised in song, like New York, or in cheese, like Philadelphia. Just imagine: Warrington, the cheese whose devotees expect will come to full maturity any year now, but which generally stays bland and forgettable. Caution: not suitable for vacuum packing due to a tendency to crumble under pressure.

It's time to embrace the sunlit uplands of this mightily prosperous future.

18 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Bottom 3 in SL down joined by 2-6 and 2 invites for SL2, Champ winner up to SL1.

What happened to "earned on the field of play" ?

Are a couple of your chosen elite not up to it ?

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

What happened to "earned on the field of play" ?

Are a couple of your chosen elite not up to it ?

Invites will be in case some clubs dont want to fund FT and are happier PT eg I understand London will be happy to fund FT in a 2 tier SL but it seems unlikely they will make the T8 in 2022. What if York and Newcastle dont make the 8 also, and clubs like Sheffield or Fax etc dont want to move into a FT comp with min squad spends? We are not talking a PT championship set up with SL2 dont forget. All being well 1-8 will all want to go FT and then its all down to what happens on the pitch

On 01/12/2021 at 23:21, The British Lion said:

Worst idea ever! 

Oh, I don't know - there is a lot of competition after all.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

14 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Invites will be in case some clubs dont want to fund FT and are happier PT eg I understand London will be happy to fund FT in a 2 tier SL but it seems unlikely they will make the T8 in 2022. What if York and Newcastle dont make the 8 also, and clubs like Sheffield or Fax etc dont want to move into a FT comp with min squad spends? We are not talking a PT championship set up with SL2 dont forget. All being well 1-8 will all want to go FT and then its all down to what happens on the pitch

If Sheffield or Fax don't want to be in a full time competition, I'd say it's up to them to decline promotion.

Not for that decision to be made for them.

Even though I was delighted that Thunder got the chance to be in the Championship last season I was more pleased that we justified that by not being relegated.

Any Super League and Super League 2 competition should be on merit. It won't happen but to settle it the top 9 Super League teams in the top division with 10th place Super League playing off against the Championship winner. Then the lowest placed Championship side playing off against the League One winner to decide the final place in Super League 2. 

Going forward there needs to be promotion and relegation maybe bottom team down and second bottom plays off against second in the division below. That includes promotion from League One. It can all be reviewed as hopefully London rebuild and others get get stability while expansion teams like Midlands and Cornwall build. All clubs need something to play for but it has to be on merit not just selected clubs.

21 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I think RL has to start looking at things differently.  There really should be a set criteria enforced and fulfilled before teams enter our leagues and/or continue to play in our leagues.

London ####### about from ground to ground isn’t really a sustainable plan.  Well, not if you want to grow the club and the game in the city.  

Our management need to stop trying to keep up with the Joneses, and concentrate on what we have as a product,as for expansion we need to couple it with junior development and getting more people sampling the sport, in the last 10 years it has been getting harder and harder to start or run a team/club, this needs to be made easier as one size doesn't fit all, expansion IMO would better serve the game by extending the heartlands boundaries to the next decent sized town/city, some crack on about going to the big cities, I'd sooner go into a smaller town where communities tend to know each other.

5 hours ago, Griff said:

If Sheffield or Fax don't want to be in a full time competition, I'd say it's up to them to decline promotion.

Not for that decision to be made for them.

Nobody said it would be made for them but I dont think we have 8 ambitious clubs in the Championship so I would expete a couple to be chosen

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Nobody said it would be made for them but I dont think we have 8 ambitious clubs in the Championship so I would expect a couple to be chosen

No offence, craiq, but that's rubbish, is it not ?   You're saying we don't have eight ambitious clubs but you think we have six so we'll force two others, who by inference finished even further down Division 2, into Superleague.  But you say they're not ambitious so they won't want to be "chosen".  We're talking about two of the bottom six - or Division 3 sides.

And, if I'm honest, I would suggest to you that you very strongly implied that the decision would be made for them. Perhaps there was a poor choice of words on your part ......

1 hour ago, Griff said:

No offence, craiq, but that's rubbish, is it not ?   You're saying we don't have eight ambitious clubs but you think we have six so we'll force two others, who by inference finished even further down Division 2, into Superleague.  But you say they're not ambitious so they won't want to be "chosen".  We're talking about two of the bottom six - or Division 3 sides.

And, if I'm honest, I would suggest to you that you very strongly implied that the decision would be made for them. Perhaps there was a poor choice of words on your part ......

Posting without reading, apologies. I dont think all the T8 will want to go FT in SL2 with min spends, I expect a couple of those wishing to wont make the T8.

On 02/12/2021 at 14:11, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

It’s a ridiculous idea, we don’t have 20 (or 18 given the French) full-time-capable clubs in this country, but we’ve more than 8… why on earth would we exclude 2 clubs from the top league that can compete in it, to make 2 or 3 (that can’t) feel better by telling them they are now in “Super League 2 (shhhh, say that last but quietly…)”; padded out by another 5 who would get battered each week?

If you are asking that question the only reply I can think of is... Hello and welcome to Rugby League, I think you will like the sport but just beware our administrators are idiots. :kolobok_ph34r:

17 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Posting without reading, apologies. I dont think all the T8 will want to go FT in SL2 with min spends, I expect a couple of those wishing to wont make the T8.

If SL1/SL2 did happen, SL2 will not be a fully full time competition. I believe this was one of the questions that came up in discussions, The RFL are worried that there are not 20 teams that will be able to go full time and also not the player pool to make that happen without totally diluting the quality of the competition as most current part time players will stay part time unless and influx of money comes in to the game.

All that above is the main reason we won't ever go to 2 divisions of 10.

44 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

If SL1/SL2 did happen, SL2 will not be a fully full time competition. I believe this was one of the questions that came up in discussions, The RFL are worried that there are not 20 teams that will be able to go full time and also not the player pool to make that happen without totally diluting the quality of the competition as most current part time players will stay part time unless and influx of money comes in to the game.

All that above is the main reason we won't ever go to 2 divisions of 10.

If thats the case it will be the Championship under a new name and a 8/9 English team SL - which isnt enough. To work the two tens must be FT with min salary spends

On 04/12/2021 at 17:48, Hammerless Nail said:

What you fail to realiise is that this 'Sir Kevin SInfield' character is a visionary: he stands taller and he sees further than ordinary mortals like you. So, yes, in the short to medium to long to very long to extremely long term, it will seem incongruous to have ambitious clubs from big cities competing alongside clubs from small towns in northern England that few outside of Rugby League have even heard of, but in the extremely long to infinite term, the 'they-offer-more' driven guaranteed success of this megaleague means that these small towns will, inevitably, be elevated to the status of Grand Throbbing Megatropolises (Megatropoli?), and we'll soon see them immortalised in song, like New York, or in cheese, like Philadelphia. Just imagine: Warrington, the cheese whose devotees expect will come to full maturity any year now, but which generally stays bland and forgettable. Caution: not suitable for vacuum packing due to a tendency to crumble under pressure.

It's time to embrace the sunlit uplands of this mightily prosperous future.

I enjoyed this so much.

I hope you haven't missed your true vocation?

More please?  

On 05/12/2021 at 12:40, Marauder said:

Our management need to stop trying to keep up with the Joneses, and concentrate on what we have as a product,as for expansion we need to couple it with junior development and getting more people sampling the sport, in the last 10 years it has been getting harder and harder to start or run a team/club, this needs to be made easier as one size doesn't fit all, expansion IMO would better serve the game by extending the heartlands boundaries to the next decent sized town/city, some crack on about going to the big cities, I'd sooner go into a smaller town where communities tend to know each other.

I agree with you here Marauder.

Where we might differ (I hope not) is that I think that BARLA and the local leagues administration groups/committee's, should get development on the agenda, instead of expecting RFL to create paid development officers for them.

Any small business, hoping to stay in business needs to spend at least some time and effort on forward-movement (growth).

It's simply not enough to maintain the existing status quo. Attempting to do that inevitably leads to decline, or at least to being overtaken by more creative and energetic competitors, so losing market share.

At each local amateur league meeting, they should be discussing what they can do to increase participation and form new clubs, before the ''any other business'' section of the meeting.

Elect or select honorary (voluntary) development officers/coaches, to do the work.

It's happening in the Netherlands, and in Germany, and in Jamaica, and in the Balkans, so why not in Bradford, Barnsley, Sheffield and Heckmondwike?

Oh and everywhere else, where the game is played too. 

12 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I agree with you here Marauder.

Where we might differ (I hope not) is that I think that BARLA and the local leagues administration groups/committee's, should get development on the agenda, instead of expecting RFL to create paid development officers for them.

Any small business, hoping to stay in business needs to spend at least some time and effort on forward-movement (growth).

It's simply not enough to maintain the existing status quo. Attempting to do that inevitably leads to decline, or at least to being overtaken by more creative and energetic competitors, so losing market share.

At each local amateur league meeting, they should be discussing what they can do to increase participation and form new clubs, before the ''any other business'' section of the meeting.

Elect or select honorary (voluntary) development officers/coaches, to do the work.

It's happening in the Netherlands, and in Germany, and in Jamaica, and in the Balkans, so why not in Bradford, Barnsley, Sheffield and Heckmondwike?

Oh and everywhere else, where the game is played too. 

The RFL have wrestled all funding from BARLA these days - I agree BARLA don't do anything or do that little that it's not seen outside the area that the management live in. - , the RFL do nothing to promote the winter season. - BARLA are run like an old workingman's club, and they are falling by the wayside. - vision, I'm not too sure how far they can step outside the box, I may be wrong but just about everything has to be sanctioned by the RFL. - District meetings, League meetings are a thing of the past, in the past you could air any problems and get the resolved at a meeting by a vote of the clubs in attendance, now it's left to the committee or a vote by email (Who counts the email vote)- Why isn't it happening here, could that be down to red tape and control?

Archived