Two leagues of ten

54 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

It is not wrong to put an opinion that is adverse to two leagues of ten. Perhaps you have an idea that is worth thinking about?

Hardly anyone wants two leagues of ten, speaking out against it isn't revolutionary.

There is no need for any change at all. The structure of the leagues is not the problem the sport faces. Unfortunately, because it's pretty easy to do, it's the single thing they keep doing rather than addressing the sport's real issues.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Perhaps ,they are all DB's . Cirumstances have changed over the years both in structure and finance. It is not wrong to put an opinion that is adverse to two leagues of ten. Perhaps you have an idea that is worth thinking about? I go back a long way and can remember there being one league. It worked and made RL one organisation without disruption for the most part .In all circujmstances you get somebody with authority who will always look to see what is in it for them. We will no doubt be given an answer that puts money in the pockets of those in power. Nothing changes.

If you are scratching around trying to find even 16 full time teams then 20 is nuts. Even if you get there what happens if the likes of Halifax or Sheffield or Barrow overstretch themselves and go into administration do you go to 10/9 or 10/8. To go to 2x10 you need 25-30 teams capable of being full time clubs not 14. 

I haven't even touched on the issue of where the hell do you find all these full time players.

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Hardly anyone wants two leagues of ten, speaking out against it isn't revolutionary.

Indeed. Based on anyone I know and posts on here and social media I wouldn't be surprised if at least 90% are against 2x10s. It seems very unpopular, and rightly so.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

It's in the long grass.

Great news about extending Clare Balding's tenure. She will be a great asset in the build up to the World Cup

On 07/12/2021 at 16:14, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

My mate messaged me earlier and said clubs are going to reject the 2x 10 model in favour of a franchised 14-league format.

One of them 'heard it on the grapevine' ones.

So we can't afford twelve Superleague clubs and the solution is to have fourteen ?🤔

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 07/12/2021 at 16:14, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

My mate messaged me earlier and said clubs are going to reject the 2x 10 model in favour of a franchised 14-league format.

One of them 'heard it on the grapevine' ones.

14 teams - superb. 
Franchises - I’ll switch off. 

3 hours ago, Griff said:

So we can't afford twelve Superleague clubs and the solution is to have fourteen ?🤔

Stay as we are and add new teams to league 1 as and when suitable and viable.

If SL can get to a position where more money is available and the player pool is bigger then increase to 14 clubs by promoting 2 from Championship and no relegation that year. Keep Championship at 14 by doing the same from League 1. League 1 should be used as the place to add new clubs to the structure.

Increasing the commercial value of the professional game and junior development should be the 2 major focuses of the RFL and SL

34 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

If SL can get to a position where more money is available and the player pool is bigger then increase to 14 clubs by promoting 2 from Championship and no relegation that year. Keep Championship at 14 by doing the same from League 1. League 1 should be used as the place to add new clubs to the structure.

Increasing the commercial value of the professional game and junior development should be the 2 major focuses of the RFL and SL

There was more than enough money available in the existing TV deal. Instead SL clubs decided to pocket an extra £500,000 each and the game decided to fund full time clubs in the Championship. Clubs will always say there isn't enough money if it is left up to them as it often in their best interests to do so.

13 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Possible problems with player pool . NRL already looking at players and only going to get worse when they expand by 2 teams.

Our clubs are going to have to pay more or lower their standards

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

We can afford it, it just means less central funding to championshipIf  and SL clubs to take us to 14. If clubs cant increase their sponsorship income being on fta then thats on them. 

Its not a fixed amount of money,  increasing the number of commercially friendly clubs to grow the pie and make more money is possible with fta. 

Yet the proposed solution is to reduce Superleague (renamed Superleague 1) to ten, not increase it to fourteen.

5 hours ago, super major said:

Possible problems with player pool . NRL already looking at players and only going to get worse when they expand by 2 teams.

Our clubs are going to have to pay more or lower their standards

I don't have any issues with the NRL signing British players. The clubs could get some decent transfer fees if they're smart.

If SL and RFL can get more juniors playing the game then the player pool would be bigger and any NRL signings could be replaced with young British players. This would be a big positive for the National team

18 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I don't have any issues with the NRL signing British players. The clubs could get some decent transfer fees if they're smart.

Transfer fees are very rare these days.  

19 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I thought Canberra paid transfer fees to Wigan for Bateman and Williams

They're rare because clubs normally wait for players to come out of contract.  It's cheaper.

They're not totally unknown.

16 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Sign the best players up to long term contracts then a fee would need to be paid

Maybe the player doesn't want to be signed for a long term contract.

I would question the wisdom of signing players with a view to selling them on, even if the players agreed to it.

I’m not sold on a fourteen team Super League and I think people will be bored with it within eighteen months, though people are whatever change we seem to make, and want to change it again. 

I don’t want to get all “every minute matters” but how do we have fourteen teams and keep it interesting for the most part for as many clubs as possible? We went with rewarding mediocrity and had eight team play-offs last time we had a fourteen team Super League and I never liked the idea of rewarding a team in the bottom half with an opportunity, however slim, to win the Grand Final.

You then have the promotion and relegation argument and whether you go ahead with that and if you do, how you implement it (one up, one down or one down and then second bottom plays in the Million Pound Game). 

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

I’m not sold on a fourteen team Super League and I think people will be bored with it within eighteen months, though people are whatever change we seem to make, and want to change it again. 

I don’t want to get all “every minute matters” but how do we have fourteen teams and keep it interesting for the most part for as many clubs as possible? We went with rewarding mediocrity and had eight team play-offs last time we had a fourteen team Super League and I never liked the idea of rewarding a team in the bottom half with an opportunity, however slim, to win the Grand Final.

You then have the promotion and relegation argument and whether you go ahead with that and if you do, how you implement it (one up, one down or one down and then second bottom plays in the Million Pound Game). 

14 is certainly more interesting to me than a 10 team league with teams playing each other 3 times or 12 teams and loop fixtures as we have now.

Only RL fans seem obsessed with needing to keep a league as interesting as possible for as many clubs as possible. It shows a real insecurity, just like many other complaints we here. We shouldn't have to use gimmicks and contrived fixture lists and formats just so that people want to attend RL games.

If people aren't attending due to poor quality games, poor fan experience, repetition, no stars etc (which are many of the complaints we hear of SL) then giving every team something to play for doesn't change that. If anything it just adds to the issues that some have whereby much of the season is just a procession towards the play offs.

I never hear this notion of every team needing something to play for in other sports. 14 teams and a top 5 play off with 2 up, 2 down and plenty of teams will have something to play for anyhow.

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

14 is certainly more interesting to me than a 10 team league with teams playing each other 3 times or 12 teams and loop fixtures as we have now.

Only RL fans seem obsessed with needing to keep a league as interesting as possible for as many clubs as possible. It shows a real insecurity, just like many other complaints we here. We shouldn't have to use gimmicks and contrived fixture lists and formats just so that people want to attend RL games.

If people aren't attending due to poor quality games, poor fan experience, repetition, no stars etc (which are many of the complaints we hear of SL) then giving every team something to play for doesn't change that. If anything it just adds to the issues that some have whereby much of the season is just a procession towards the play offs.

I never hear this notion of every team needing something to play for in other sports. 14 teams and a top 5 play off with 2 up, 2 down and plenty of teams will have something to play for anyhow.

It would, however, if we went with ten playing nineteen rounds or twelve playing twenty-three and more impetus on the Challenge Cup, maybe even with another competition or format and a proper international calendar, I’d be more interested in those, personally, than fourteen playing twenty-seven and just going as we are with everything else.

You’re right regarding RL fans but I guarantee it’s the argument used when people want change, as it was last time we had fourteen. It’s not as though we have qualification for anything, as in football where sixth or seventh is a metaphorical trophy and aspiration for an Everton or Aston Villa like in Football.

TV figures show people do watch and engage with the big games, so twenty-seven weekly rounds just feels a little like a waste of time when we could have more importance placed on the Challenge Cup or, more importantly for the sport, international games and series. I think with twenty-seven rounds, another three or four week play-off series and three or four Cup games (for the finalists), we’re continuing to do exactly as we are and expecting different results. I don’t think we get that necessarily with two more teams in Super League. 

Archived