Friendlies

Derwent Park SC

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

Rodders, are you the same rodders on haven fans forum? Is the 2010 a clue thats you are on here to make mischief?

He's Town2018's sidekick so i don't pay much attention. Listening on the radio today to a thing called 'cat fishing' where people adopt false personalities on-line. Apparently something to do with low self esteem.

Some genuine fans on here with genuine concerns for sure. I was worried at the start of last year. I'll be worried at the start of this year. I'm worried before every match. There are many areas for discussion yes but reasons to attack my club? No.

4 hours ago, DocH said:

He's Town2018's sidekick so i don't pay much attention. Listening on the radio today to a thing called 'cat fishing' where people adopt false personalities on-line. Apparently something to do with low self esteem.

Some genuine fans on here with genuine concerns for sure. I was worried at the start of last year. I'll be worried at the start of this year. I'm worried before every match. There are many areas for discussion yes but reasons to attack my club? No.

No what it is marra is a lot off people live in cloud cuckoo land and trust the club with everything regardless off what happens or in this case what ain't happening 

Nothing wrong with putting your honest opinion on here but suppose will always get called a haven fan 

1 hour ago, town2018 said:

No what it is marra is a lot off people live in cloud cuckoo land and trust the club with everything regardless off what happens or in this case what ain't happening 

Nothing wrong with putting your honest opinion on here but suppose will always get called a haven fan 

On 09/12/2021 at 20:23, townie88 said:

Pre season update would be nice. Can always remember photos/videos and interviews on how pre seasons going. 

Maybe nothing to report, 

2 hours ago, JMB said:

Maybe nothing to report, 

If there is nothing to report that is not a good sign 3 weeks into pre season no update from Chris on injury updates from last season or how the new signings are getting on or any new faces which we are lacking at least 4 or 5 but all you clowns that think we are OK keep lieing to yourself and the club 

What about if a new board are taking over and have a budget for players but the signings can't be ratified until the paperwork goes through as new directors? These things are always more complex than you think .

Agreed it would be nice to have an update and I'm sure we'll get one, calling people clowns who just want the club to succeed and let the people running the club get on with doing that isn't helpful. 

On the flip side, if the people aren't there and the money isn't there what do you expect to happen? Hopefully it is and they will be, we've got a terrific coach who'll get the best out of what he has. I'm not naive in thinking everything's fine , we're a few quality players light but I can't wait to get going again.

1) This season is going to be extremely tough . We’ll be doing amazingly well not to be relegated , the league is red hot . Thats not news .

2)I’m sure the club has got their eyes wide open to all this , and are doing absolutely everthing within their means to give us the best shot at being competitive to a level we need to be. Theyre good dedicated people .

3 ) I’m still chuffed we got promoted and cant wait for the new season . 

I’ve lived and breathed Workington Town for 55+ years, not as anyone involved with the club, just as a supporter who was hooked after my first match as a young boy. If people hadn’t been prepared to put their time and money into the club I wouldn’t have had the enjoyment and no little anguish over those years. Do they always get it right, probably not. Have they the good of the club at heart, definitely. They will know the challenge we face and if at all possible will give us the best chance to survive through recruitment and preparation. 
I’m not a clown and I’m not in cuckoo land, I’m a realist that knows we will have a hell of a fight on our hands to stay up, but isn’t that what sport is about, the excitement of putting yourself against supposedly better teams. Who knows how well our young players will perform at a higher level, will they sink or swim? I don’t know, but I’m sure whoever is in the squad we have one of the best young coaches to get the best out of them. Can’t wait for the season to start and in lots of ways I’ve still got that same excitement I had when my dad took me to that first game. UTT

19 hours ago, town2018 said:

If there is nothing to report that is not a good sign 3 weeks into pre season no update from Chris on injury updates from last season or how the new signings are getting on or any new faces which we are lacking at least 4 or 5 but all you clowns that think we are OK keep lieing to yourself and the club 

Oh the irony of you calling others a clown 🤡 🤣 and it's lying by the way....

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

34 minutes ago, IanMac said:

I’ve lived and breathed Workington Town for 55+ years, not as anyone involved with the club, just as a supporter who was hooked after my first match as a young boy

Hiya Ian......which match was that?

I first entered into Town life in August 1961.....Town versus Hull KR...opening game of 1961/62 season Town won it 31-4 and I was well and truly hooked.  That season Town went on to to play HKR in the RL cup quarter final, before 13,000 at Derwent Park.....and surprisingly lost 3-15....the start of so many ups and downs as a Townie.

The likes of Oldham and Swinton at times didn't know where they were playing their home games from season to season. We still have Derwent Park, so you Townies get down to DP shout your heads off and make the ground a fortress. Personally speaking I would like to see the club run as community club. UTT. 

57 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Hiya Ian......which match was that?

I first entered into Town life in August 1961.....Town versus Hull KR...opening game of 1961/62 season Town won it 31-4 and I was well and truly hooked.  That season Town went on to to play HKR in the RL cup quarter final, before 13,000 at Derwent Park.....and surprisingly lost 3-15....the start of so many ups and downs as a Townie.

Hi, was against St Helen’s 65ish I think. Got beat 7 - 3. 
First argument with an opposing fan over refereeing decision when we got beat in challenge cup 7 -2 by Classy Cas in 67 I think. 2 young boys sitting on the wall arguing like mad😂

12 minutes ago, IanMac said:

Hi, was against St Helen’s 65ish I think. Got beat 7 - 3. 
First argument with an opposing fan over refereeing decision when we got beat in challenge cup 7 -2 by Classy Cas in 67 I think. 2 young boys sitting on the wall arguing like mad😂

Yep November 13th 1965....Town 3 v Saints 7.

Cup tie v Cas was on Feb 24th 1968........

Two defeats but in those days Town were a match for any team.

29 minutes ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

Snap, ivans82, and it was pouring down. Think Colin Clarke scored the decisive try for Wigan at that end.

I remember that game Joe, I was sat on the wall just on the half way line popular side, great crowd and atmosphere.

I met Colin Clarke in the mid 90’s I was reffing one of the Oldham teams, Waterhead I think, in the national cup and he was the coach , and when he asked where I was from he was telling me how relieved Wigan where that they had won that game as not many teams got much at Derwent Park and that Town had so many great players, nice bloke.

34 minutes ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

Snap, ivans82, and it was pouring down. Think Colin Clarke scored the decisive try for Wigan at that end.

Also had to stand on the grassy bank...everywhere else too packed.

Colin Clarke did score but it was in first half, a converted try...so 0-5 at half time.

Ike then hit two pens for Town to make it 4-5 and Town were pressing hard as the match was drawing to a close.  However, sadly for the home fans, Ashby made a late strong run to halfway then passed to the supporting halfback Cliff Hill to clinch it.

I can still see Spanky coming across on the popular side attempting to smash Hill who stepped inside to sprint to the line near the sticks, conversion made it 4-10, and Town were out. 

Archived