Friendlies

Derwent Park SC

16 minutes ago, Brookie said:

Dave Bolton scored the try at town end

No he didn't....... Dave Bolton wasn't in the Wigan team that day.    Halfbacks were Cliff Hill and Frank Parr.

Both Wigan tries were scored at the Town end...one in each half...first one by Colin Clarke, then Cliff Hill dealt the final blow via the breakaway clincher........both tries converted by Gilfedder.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bobg said:

I remember that game Joe, I was sat on the wall just on the half way line popular side, great crowd and atmosphere.

I met Colin Clarke in the mid 90’s I was reffing one of the Oldham teams, Waterhead I think, in the national cup and he was the coach , and when he asked where I was from he was telling me how relieved Wigan where that they had won that game as not many teams got much at Derwent Park and that Town had so many great players, nice bloke.

Didn’t think you were that old, Bob lad!

10 hours ago, bobg said:

I remember that game Joe, I was sat on the wall just on the half way line popular side, great crowd and atmosphere.

I met Colin Clarke in the mid 90’s I was reffing one of the Oldham teams, Waterhead I think, in the national cup and he was the coach , and when he asked where I was from he was telling me how relieved Wigan where that they had won that game as not many teams got much at Derwent Park and that Town had so many great players, nice bloke.

Interesting what you said about Colin Clarke Bob, cos I find that typical of Wigan people. Whenever I went to Wigan as a Town official, I couldn’t have been better received ( though that might have been down to being with Ike Southward, who was treated as rugby league royalty), but whenever I went to say St Helens or Leeds or particularly Bradford, all I  met was arrogance. Says it all really.

3 minutes ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

Interesting what you said about Colin Clarke Bob, cos I find that typical of Wigan people. Whenever I went to Wigan as a Town official, I couldn’t have been better received ( though that might have been down to being with Ike Southward, who was treated as rugby league royalty), but whenever I went to say St Helens or Leeds or particularly Bradford, all I  met was arrogance. Says it all really.

I should exempt Maurice Lindsay from that compliment about Wigan people!

9 hours ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

That’s about right Joe.

20 hours ago, chromedome said:

No he didn't....... Dave Bolton wasn't in the Wigan team that day.    Halfbacks were Cliff Hill and Frank Parr.

Both Wigan tries were scored at the Town end...one in each half...first one by Colin Clarke, then Cliff Hill dealt the final blow via the breakaway clincher........both tries converted by Gilfedder.

Must have mixed Bolton and Hill up

On 11/12/2021 at 13:05, chromedome said:

Yep November 13th 1965....Town 3 v Saints 7.

Cup tie v Cas was on Feb 24th 1968........

Two defeats but in those days Town were a match for any team.

Remember that game well, the pitch was covered in hay, they had covered the pitch with it due to frost and snow. I seem to think the game was moved on a day to the Sunday. 🤔

1 hour ago, Unicorn 106 said:

Remember that game well, the pitch was covered in hay, they had covered the pitch with it due to frost and snow. I seem to think the game was moved on a day to the Sunday. 🤔

That’s in my memory as well unicorn. Don’t know about moving till Sunday but remember straw/hay being used. Wonder how many times Tom Mitchell raided his barns to get a game on.

1 hour ago, IanMac said:

That’s in my memory as well unicorn. Don’t know about moving till Sunday but remember straw/hay being used. Wonder how many times Tom Mitchell raided his barns to get a game on.

Yeah the Castleford cup game was played on the Saturday 24/2/68.......I lived at Cleator Moor way back in those days. And yes snow was very much present...I was due to be given a lift to match from some work colleagues that day but panicked at seeing the snow covered roads and went to catch a bus instead - I was at Derwent Park 2 hours before kick off and had to suffer seeing many coaches of Cas fans arriving and having a go at my lovely Town scarf. The work colleagues eventually turned up too so all was ok!!!...( I had their match tickets with me)... Ok that is except for the final score of course....

Archived