Triumph & Disaster 150 Years of Rochdale Hornets

Mark Wynn

Like most people I have always said I would love to write a book, especially about my chosen team. Thankfully I was able to make that happen.

Planned 5 years ago and eventually started and finished during lockdown, fellow Hornets fan Jim Stringer and myself with notable contributions from several people along the way have finally completed Triumph and Disaster 150 Years of Rochdale Hornets.

It charts the ebb and flow of Rochdale Hornets over its entire 150 years of existence!

If you are in Rochdale for the next couple of Saturdays it is on sale in the club shop. It is also available online via the club website or London League Publications and from Monday via Amazon, Ebay Books and Kindle.

A true labour of love!

Book Launch.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mark Wynn said:

Like most people I have always said I would love to write a book, especially about my chosen team. Thankfully I was able to make that happen.

Planned 5 years ago and eventually started and finished during lockdown, fellow Hornets fan Jim Stringer and myself with notable contributions from several people along the way have finally completed Triumph and Disaster 150 Years of Rochdale Hornets.

It charts the ebb and flow of Rochdale Hornets over its entire 150 years of existence!

If you are in Rochdale for the next couple of Saturdays it is on sale in the club shop. It is also available online via the club website or London League Publications and from Monday via Amazon, Ebay Books and Kindle.

A true labour of love!

Book Launch.jpeg

Many thanks to the authors for their efforts in producing this important and no doubt mainly? a labour of love!
Looking forward to the read and transporting especially to the late 1950’s and mid 60’s…..lots of bitterly cold, foggy (standing on the touch line to see play!) and wet days, often braving the Athletic Ground’s railway side terraces and modern conveniences🥱……having walked canal side or Kingsway and when needed, very quickly through “tin town”! …. some great players and characters….including Derrick Schofield, who once made time at a Hornets training session at Firgrove to advise our local, many a side tig and pass efforts…..the introduction of the great Fiji lads ( Ravouvou collared me for not a few pints in the Flying Horse!)….and not long ago the great victory at Toulouse.

Let’s hope that Rochdale Hornets extends this eventful journey…..good luck, it will be needed!

Co-author James Stringer and Myself will be doing a signing our book Triumph & Disaster 150 Years of Rochdale Hornets on Saturday (11th) morning 9-12 at Spotland Stadium
A great Christmas gift for yourself or that Rugby League fan in your life!

7398F640-89AC-4DC2-A9EA-E9E19C922585.jpeg

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, we have had to postpone our book signing at Spotland tomorrow. It'll be re-arranged before Xmas - watch this space for details.
Meanwhile, if you want to grab a copy, you can buy direct with free postage from: click here

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This book is certainly a triumph. I am only at the Frank Myler era, but the previous eras, against the backgrounds of the split with Union, war, the cotton industry, management and not least the Fijian connection are beautifully written and with great detail/photographs.  My main local baptism to Hornets was the mid 1950’s to mid 60’s, certainly rock ‘n roll times and not always at the Carlton!   Looking forward to absorbing the remaining chapters and hopefully, to triumphant 2022+ seasons.

Copies of the book should be available for Midland Hurricanes’  visit, at least to remind them of the challenges of being in rugby league history.

• 3 weeks later...

A unique sporting event as we discuss One Town, Two Codes and Two Books. Looking at the rich, exciting and sometimes dark histories of the towns premier sporting clubs.
Local authors Mark Hodkinson - The Overcoat Men plus Jim Stringer & Mark Wynn - Triumph & Disaster 150 Years of Rochdale Hornets will give a rich flavour of the parallels and shared DNA of the Dale and Hornets.
Both of these successful books chart the triumphs and tribulations of both clubs history, looking at the characters behind the scenes who shaped the clubs character over their respective history.
With both clubs celebrating significant milestones in their histories and with their sporting landscapes at major crossroads there is no better time to look back at the of their successes against adversity and drama.
Hosted by Ryan Bradley, the Community Director at Rochdale AFC Community Trust as well as being a former CEO of Rochdale Hornets, Ryan is in a unique place to dig and delve into the stories and characters featured in the books.
We are also really pleased to announce that Rochdale AFC Chairman, Simon Gauge will also be joining the panel to give a fascinating insight into running a modern professional football club.
With an audience Q&A session it will be a great night of fun, humour and no doubt some intrigue!
We would like to thank London League Publications for sponsoring the event.

https://rochdaleafccommunity.org/culture-at-the-crown-oil-arena/

F39B3036-8A51-4C6B-84B3-42A4662FFF72.jpeg

Excellent - wish I could be there.  Mark Hodkinson is an excellent local writer ‘from the heart’ and his debut book “the last mad surge of youth” still resonates.  Hornets’  “Triumph & Disaster”, which I finished recently, is excellent.  Let’s hope that new and successful eras are coming to Rochdale and their clubs.

Where is the Our Spot Community Hub situated at the Crown Oil Arena ? Is it at the Pearl Street end where the 5 aside pitch is situated.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

Archived