Naughty Folk

I always think there's something seriously wrong about adults that get offended by something as harmless as swear words. Fair enough if they don't want you swearing in front of their children, but any other time it's just weird.

1 hour ago, bowes said:

I always think there's something seriously wrong about adults that get offended by something as harmless as swear words. Fair enough if they don't want you swearing in front of their children, but any other time it's just weird.

I disagree, if you haven't the vocabulary to insert a non-swear word into the conversation, then do not speak, I have worked with a lot of religious persons who get very offended if I used the word bloody, even if it was connected to raw meat. I used to work/interact with members of the public, and they don;t want to hear coarse language, if you were in a queue at Asda, and the check-outs started using the f-word between themselves, would you consider that professional conduct, banter between adult staff members, or would you just ignore it?

15 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Imagine leaving Uni and starting your first job.  Then after a week having to phone your mum because the gaffer didn't give you a trigger warning before telling you to get your #@#@#@ act together. 

Liverpool University issues trigger warning for course about the North – In Entertainment

It's a fine example of where the headline and quotes selected don't really match what Liverpool University are actually doing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The thing is, a few months after being school kids, they are students and that they are not many years older than school children is seen as ludicrous.

The story amounts to "The warning about videos used on the course states: ‘They contain strong language, outdated attitudes towards gender, physical violence and discussion of alcohol consumption.’ "

All the rest of the story is padding.

Being told this in advance is pretty normal and for the small minority of viewer to which it might apply.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

13 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Being told this in advance is pretty normal and for the small minority of viewer to which it might apply.

It's normal before seeing any film in the cinema and has been for thirty years at least.

But, y'know, something about snowflakes from people who'd spend hours debating whether Barrow should identify as Cumbria or Lancashire.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It's normal before seeing any film in the cinema and has been for thirty years at least.

But, y'know, something about snowflakes from people who'd spend hours debating whether Barrow should identify as Cumbria or Lancashire.

That sort of announcement is common on various Facebook groups and Internets forums, too.

Indeed, our very own Political sub-forum carries the warning that it "contains outdated and discredited liberal leftie Guardianista dogma". 😀

Archived