Bids sought for European 9s

Its interesting they are going down the tender road and it does show an inability to do these things to date. I'm all for it really because these things just aren't getting done by our existing governing bodies, through one reason or another.

I'm quite ambivalent about 9s and think its got a place, probably more so amongst developing nations. However for me it should never take place instead of full internationals, which are already few and far between. If we only have one mid season international windows then I want proper internationals, not 9s.

Just now, Damien said:

Its interesting they are going down the road and it does show an inability to do these things to date.

I'm quite ambivalent about 9s and think its got a place, probably more so amongst developing nations. However for me it should never take place instead of full internationals, which are already few and far between. If we only have one mid season international windows then I want proper internationals, not 9s.

I strongly suspect that this kind of tournament would be the sort where England and France would send squad players rather than first choice players who will, you'd hope, be playing actual internationals during an international weekend.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I strongly suspect that this kind of tournament would be the sort where England and France would send squad players rather than first choice players who will, you'd hope, be playing actual internationals during an international weekend.

Quite true and I never really thought of that. For 9s to really work and have any place in the calendar I cant see any other way that having a different pool of players like RU or consisting of players that don't make the national team.

Great idea this, nice weekend of rugby somewhere warm sounds tempting to me.

Notice the ITT states they are open to bids outside of Europe:

We are open to proposals which include the full and affiliate members from the Middle East & Africa and Americas regions of our membership and from organising committees located outside of Europe.

10 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Great this, nice weekend of somewhere warm sounds tempting to me.

Notice the ITT states they are open to bids outside of Europe:

We are open to proposals which include the full and affiliate members from the Middle East & Africa and Americas regions of our and from organising committees located outside of Europe.

So does that mean the "European 9s" is actually open to teams from all the countries that the "European" federation actually covers too? Or just ones from Europe?

Archived