Replacing What You Used To Do meant USK

To fill a void left by ditching most old interests I took up Urban Sketching and I can happily suggest it as something for anyone to try.

I've always been interested in drawing and painting so they were inroads into this pastime but it's not about being good at art which is just as well when you're as talentless as I am.

There are chapters all over and events. You can join a group or do it completely alone. it's simply all about sketching where you are and using different tools to produce different effects. And it is very addictive.

It would be easy to spend far too much money following it but that's totally unnecessary you can start with a pencil and a notebook. There's one well known urban sketcher who seems to only work in biro.

This site is helpful

https://urbansketchingworld.com/

this is a blog that might help

https://urbansketchers-manchester.blogspot.com/

If you can afford £18.95 a month there's also a surprise art subscription service called Scrawlr which is not about Urban sketching but will give new things to try and give you loads of ideas and nearly all the kit they send can be used for urban sketching or just enjoying yourself.

https://scrawlrbox.uk/

If anyone already does this or takes it up anytime soon I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 16/12/2021 at 19:28, CornwallRL said:

I have all the artistic talent of a dead chicken.

It really doesn't matter Cornwall, there's just doing it for the sake and pleasure of the process, something that they say again and again.

And simple as

Pilot G2 Black Retractable Rollerball Pen Pens Extra Fine Gel Ink Refillable 0.5mm Nib Tip 0.3mm Line G2-5 (Pack Of 3) £6.97

Daler Rowney Simply Pocket Sketchbook Soft Cover in CDU 24 Sheets £1.50 ( Amazon but other suppliers are available)

And if you have a biro even cheaper.

When I was at school I was put off trying by Mr Arty the art teacher and it took years for me to begin again, so I appreciate how you feel and I would show you some of mine but the embarassment would be too great and my efforts are just for me.

And there's that much free advice and encouragement available !

http://sophiepeanut.com/urban-sketching-techniques/

Edited by Oxford

19 hours ago, CornwallRL said:

My daughters school report for Maths, declares she is more interested in doodling her Manga characters than doing Maths.

Can anyone blame her?

Edited by Oxford

This guy's good at taking the sting and worry out of the process

The point of urban sketching seems to be turning a doodle into a picture and as one book puts it "Sketch Now Think Later"

An interesting theme developing across USK; the idea of urban sketching was art for everyone, joining together and sharing ideas but there is a growing money making element to it all. It should be intriguing to see how this pans out. As a cheapo and solitary USK I'm not affected by this but I can see that the contradiction between democratising art and capitalism will mean money wins as usual. So it goes.

Got a bob ross box set for Christmas .

Got the works , paints , canvas , brushes , by numbers canvas etc etc 

Family had a painting comp every Saturday morning during lockdown . I went with the bob ross style painting , got them hung up in garden now , look good . 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, henage said:

Got a bob ross box set for Christmas .

Got the works , paints , canvas , brushes , by numbers canvas etc etc 

Family had a painting comp every Saturday morning during lockdown . I went with the bob ross style painting , got them hung up in garden now , look good . 

My idea in bringing this thread was for how good doing any drawing or painting is for you. And a lot of their talk is about well being.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2021 at 21:23, Oxford said:

As a cheapo and solitary USK I'm not affected by this but I can see that the contradiction between democratising art and capitalism will mean money wins as usual.

This is becoming less sharing and art for everyone and more about what they can chargte you for sadly. When I was a teacher I always shared what I had, thought and had learned with other teachers it seemed to be the point to me.

Still plenty of free stuff around but the trend is for those who use to provide for nowt are moving away from it, some of it is very cheap but markets don't like cheap.

So here's some still on the bright side:

200 videos of advice!

Have a great New Year!

• 2 weeks later...

Although some of my sense of wellbeing must come from my fall from grace, being a lapsed TGG fan and a political couldn't care less about the world and its handbasket problems, most of this is entirely due to drawing and painting. Music helps too but that's always been there.

Here's a couple of products that are brilliant, not too dear and very good for people who struggle with all the rules and demands of oils, guache and watercolour:

The colours are very muted on both the above and if you like brighter stuff as well there's

This is a mixture of the those above and some inktense colours( which are a bit trickier to use) but good.

Edited by Oxford