The RWC "Sully Ball"

4 hours ago, M j M said:

Yeah not very inspired is it. The really good news is that they're Steedens not some inferior brand.

We need a ball of our own. Steeden is owned by a cricket company that also owns Gilbert. League money goes elsewhere.

new rise.jpg

37 minutes ago, Pulga said:

We need a ball of our own. Steeden is owned by a cricket company that also owns Gilbert. League money goes elsewhere.

I don't really get this unless you are saying the game, and by that I presume it would have to be the IRL, becomes ball manufacturers. Grays International are just a limited company like any other. In my opinion its like moaning about buying a Nike jersey and moaning that the money goes elsewhere.

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

What did we want/expect the ball to look like?

I was expecting something closer to the ball used in the news article World Cup final clip. Just having a different colour each end would have given the link with Sullivan, even if the colour scheme wasn't brown. Something based on this classic would have been a bit more original and synonymous with the Sullivan name. 
il_1588xN.1739333686_8m1d.jpg

46 minutes ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

I was expecting something closer to the ball used in the news article World Cup final clip. Just having a different colour each end would have given the link with Sullivan, even if the colour scheme wasn't brown. Something based on this classic would have been a bit more original and synonymous with the Sullivan name. 
il_1588xN.1739333686_8m1d.jpg

Given the timing of the competition, I guess a darker ball might get a little ‘lost’ in the floodlights for the later kick offs. Similar to floodlit cricket matches using a white ball (although admittedly I’ve no idea if that’s the case in floodlit Test matches, if such a thing exists).

Would have been nice to have a bit more of a hat tip rather than just his name on it, but a nice gesture all the same and very much on trend, as they say. 

59 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Given the timing of the competition, I guess a darker ball might get a little ‘lost’ in the floodlights for the later kick offs. Similar to floodlit cricket matches using a white ball (although admittedly I’ve no idea if that’s the case in floodlit Test matches, if such a thing exists).

Would have been nice to have a bit more of a hat tip rather than just his name on it, but a nice gesture all the same and very much on trend, as they say. 

Of course.  That we are celebrating the life and efforts of a great player by any standards is fantastic.

Slightly off topic but Clive Sullivan made his debut for Hull FC 60 years ago today.

Bradford...here's what you could have had...

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/johnny-whiteley-clive-sullivan-hull-6326229

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

19 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Similar to floodlit cricket matches using a white ball (although admittedly I’ve no idea if that’s the case in floodlit Test matches, if such a thing exists).

Just for info: They do exist and they use a bright pink ball.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Yes, I get that people might be a little underwhelmed by the design but for me what counts is the recognition of the great man on the 50th anniversary of his finest hour and a great achievement by the team he led. His family were also clearly very pleased with the way that his memory has been honoured.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Something which wasn't knocked up in MS Paint?

So, as an example, here's the IHF official match ball from this year's world championship in Egypt: https://www.ihf.info/media-center/news/official-egypt-2021-ball-revealed

And a different one for the women's tournament being played in Spain https://www.ihf.info/media-center/news/official-spain-2021-match-ball-unveiled

The recognition of "The Sully Ball" is great but the execution is full on, "Will this do?" ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, craig hamilton said:

Exactly! What were people expecting? It's a great way of honouring Clive Sullivan and also raising awareness of that team's exploits. Bravo!

It is but could they have made it a bit more intresting ? Replicate his signature at least

5 hours ago, Ullman said:

Yes, I get that people might be a little underwhelmed by the design but for me what counts is the recognition of the great man on the 50th anniversary of his finest hour and a great achievement by the team he led. His family were also clearly very pleased with the way that his memory has been honoured.

Thing is you can have both if someone is prepared to think a bit

On 10/12/2021 at 16:08, iangidds said:

It is but could they have made it a bit more intresting ? Replicate his signature at least

I like that idea. Would have been a nice touch.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived