Great news for Leeds and Super League

“Leeds’ highly-rated centre Harry Newman has pledged his future to the Rhinos after exploring options in Australia and rugby union.

The 21-year-old already had a year left on his current contract. But he has agreed a new three-year deal to keep him at Headingley until the end of 2024.”

It’s good to see such a promising young player staying with us.

Holroyd, Oledzki and Newman all tied up to long-term deals this last week. Hopefully Broadbent and Gannon to follow imminently. A little under the radar Hetherington is locking down the heart of the next great Leeds side 🙂

Good news. As much as I’ve enjoyed seeing Leeds struggling over the last few years, the sooner they’re back challenging for SL with 16k crowds at Headingley the better imho; the game is better off with a strong, well supported Leeds side involved, and I’d say the same about Wigan too. 

It's pretty impressive that Leeds have managed to transition so quickly from the break up of that legendary team, to now looking like they'll very soon be in a position to challenge for Grand Finals again. 

I'm not convinced they'll manage it in 2022 but give it another year or two and they'll certainly be there or thereabouts IMO. They're making impressive signings and there are a number of top quality juniors coming through.

As noted above the game needs a strong Leeds side.

not been keen on any of his stuff since the tubeway army days to be honest

5 hours ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

“Leeds’ highly-rated centre Harry Newman has pledged his future to the Rhinos 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

21 hours ago, WN83 said:

It's pretty impressive that Leeds have managed to transition so quickly from the break up of that legendary team, to now looking like they'll very soon be in a position to challenge for Grand Finals again. 

Impressive 🤣 They've nearly been relegated in that period and missed out on the play-offs on plenty of other occasions.

And on the subject of Newman, I just don't get all the hype about him, he hasn't done anything special of note yet, spending large chunks of his career so far on the treatment table.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

58 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Impressive 🤣 They've nearly been relegated in that period and missed out on the play-offs on plenty of other occasions.

And on the subject of Newman, I just don't get all the hype about him, he hasn't done anything special of note yet, spending large chunks of his career so far on the treatment table.

If we say the huge break up of that side happened in 2015, they’ve then won a Grand Final and a Challenge Cup from 2016 to the end of 2021. They’ve had some poor seasons in that time as well but who wouldn’t on the back of a period of dominance like they had, which ended with some all time greats walking away? 

I really don’t want to praise Leeds but to look as strong as they do in 2022 and to be as well set up to really kick in over the next 5-10 years is a credit to them. Plenty of clubs would’ve collapsed in an absolute heap in that period from 2016 to the present day but they’ve still won two major trophies in that time and have rode out some pain, to work themselves back in to pretty good shape. 

3 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Really interesting year for Leeds this one.

Shaping up to be a cracking competition - Wire should improve under Powell, Catalans look very strong, Saints will roll on and Leeds getting there.

Bring it on!

Agreed - when I look at the strongest potential line ups of those 4 sides it's really hard to call who'll come out on top in every variation of those ties. For Leeds, if that Austin/Sezer half back pairing can pick up where it left off 3 years ago, they'll be in with a real shout as defensively they've resolved a lot of the problems they had in that early post-golden gen period. 

I think Leeds have closed the gap, Wire could finally fulfil their potential under Powell, Saints will be up there again and Cats have made their squad even stronger than last season. Wigan, Hull and Cas will be scrambling round to put their hat in the ring for a push come the end of the season but not seriously challenge. All shapes up for a great season! 

Archived